Where to go?

DRZ

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
Yes
At the moment I am shooting with a 300D (+ Grip) which I bought because I wanted to go Canon, couldnt hold the 350D because of my fingers and couldnt really afford a 20D at the time.

Lately, I have been out and about a lot more with people with better bodies and it has made me start to wonder if I should upgrade the body rather than getting more glass.

The speed has only just started to annoy me - I was at a family BBQ the other evening and I was hitting the bottom of the buffer a lot trying to get shots and then its a long wait for the buffer to empty. I am also finding the fps to be just a bit too slow sometimes like when you dont have the option to try timing your shots perfectly, thankfully I am fairly musical so that sort of thing comes naturally but on the odd occasion you *need* a faster burst.

I am also starting to realise why AI servo is used so often by people. My photography has changed a lot in the last few months and I really feel like I want that extra ability.

I wouldnt mind a faster flash sync speed either ;)

Aside from those small factors, I am content with the 300D, I really am - it can produce images that I am really happy with. I just cant help feeling I would get more with a better body for the type of shots I like to take.

Now here is the problem! I cant go to a 350D, so that is out of the question. I could get a used/refurbished 20D with a grip (which is a must) or maybe stretch to a 30D. Thats the "normal" way of thinking - but then there is the other side of me that thinks a used 1D (or maybe a 1Ds if they go for cheap enough through the bay, I have seen a couple) could be the way forward. I dont print huge and I dont often push up the ISO beyond 400 often, occasionally I use 800 but most of the time I use 100/200, so noise shouldnt be a factor. I dont print huge either, so the smaller resolution isnt going to be a problem. I would be going down a step in "sensor quality" but up a step absolutely everywhere else.

I am torn, I really, really am torn :( Am I being stupid wanting an older camera like that over a 20D+Grip?

Can't go to a 350D or just don't fancy it? It's a lot of camera for the money. ;)

Cant go :( I smashed up my fingers in an accident a couple of years ago which isnt a problem gripping cameras with a deep grip, but when it comes to the 350D , the grip depth is so shallow it ends up causing me a lot of grief. Which is hugely annoying because its a damn fine camera otherwise :(

i would try for a 30d, thats my likely upgrade path, as im having the same issues!

Ah gotcha. Well I have hands like a girl, but I still find the gap between the grip and the lens body too small on the 20D... they've actually made it wider and more comfortable on the 30D. That apart, I'd have no hesitation in recommending a 20D, although the 30D would be my obvious choice if I was buying now, if only for the spot metering which is a serious consideration.

As for buying a 1D, you can argue a case for getting one if you need the weatherproofing, ability to take CF and SD cards, fast continuous drive, pro build quality, and the other little niceties which you get on pro cameras. It largely depends on your personal needs. The 1 series are zonking heavy cameras. There are occasions when it's nice to pick up the 20D for a change and it attracts a lot less attention, especially sans battery grip.

If you can pick up a 1D or a 1DS for the same or not much more than you'd spend on a 30D, then I suppose it makes sense, but think about how much those cameras have depreciated in a short time. It's only about two or three years ago, probably less, that the 11+ mega pixels of the 1DS seemed mind boggling, and the 1DS cost over 6K body only when it was new, with it's replacement model being substantially cheaper.

Digital cameras are evolving at quite frightening speed really, and any model has a 'desirability' life of probably 5 years tops, more realistically.. three?.... regardless of how much you spend. That doesn't mean they cease to be useful photographic tools of course, but I think you have to be very cautious about investing too much money in yesterdays technology in the face of current trends.

All things considered, given your choices, I'd go straight for the 30D. All you can do is jump on the technology ladder as high as you can, because inevitably, you soon start to slide down again. Good glass will still be in demand long after the best body. :)

Not had time to use my 1D much yet but first impressions are: Focus is breathtakingly fast (as is 8fps!) Noise doesn't seem a problem as of yet & I've seen some concert images shot at ISO 1600 that showed next to no noise straight from camera (!?) Camera is built like a tank & very hefty & if you don't print massive then I don't forsee 4.2mp being a problem.
Will let you know what I think once I've had time to do some field tests & see whether or not I'm correct in my assumptions..

moomike said:
Not had time to use my 1D much yet but first impressions are: Focus is breathtakingly fast (as is 8fps!) Noise doesn't seem a problem as of yet & I've seen some concert images shot at ISO 1600 that showed next to no noise straight from camera (!?) Camera is built like a tank & very hefty & if you don't print massive then I don't forsee 4.2mp being a problem.
Will let you know what I think once I've had time to do some field tests & see whether or not I'm correct in my assumptions..

Sorry, rather quick post as I was out to the pub for a pint :beer: :LOL:. (am working really hard at the moment...honest)
So far I have found the 1D an excellent camera, the autofocus is truly astounding - I went out on the ferry today & found that I could actually focus & follow the gulls (AF servo) as they were fighting for the food that was thrown overboard!! - I love my 20D & cannot fault it at all (except for lack of spot metering) ordinarily would use single AF, centre point & pan as was needed to maintain focus but the 1D was spot on all of the time & if I was paying as much attention to my settings as I was to ooooing & aaahing over the AF, maybe I would have got more decent images :LOL:
The 4.2mp is inconsequential IMO due to the number of progs & plugins that maintain the 1D, interpolition, noise control, etc. It's obviously nice to be able to crop more but I seldom crop anyway so would need a more experienced member of the forum to debate this point.
This camera really doesn't mess around & I feel that my images should hopefully improve (although don't think image quality is a problem for you DRZ) due to having to more carefully consider exposure, etc to ensure a proper image (most 1D users shoot at +1 to +3 & then lower in RAW to achieve a less noisy image - processor deals with highlights better than shadows apparently, need to do more tests before I can verify this)

To summarise (for now) If you can afford a 1D Mk2, go for it, if not & you don't fancy the 30D or 5D for whatever reason (price maybe?), there is definately no harm in going for the 1D (if you don't like it you can always sell it for the price you paid at the mo - although (not sure, but) watch out for Canons upgrades lowering this price soon), the AF is awesome, the frames per second is awesome, the mp is... well, not bad at all as the quality of the mp is very high, and even though (like CT) I have hands like a girl, I have no problem handling this camera :LOL:

DRZ.

There is an old saying and its often very true.

Buy as much as you can possibly afford because you will spend a long time wishing you had spent more afterwards..;)

I have both the 350D and a 1DMkII, To be totally honest if I wasnt doing motor sports/airshows and similar the smaller body would fit my needs perfectly with the battery grip.:)

Having had a think, if I want to get the 300mm F/4 IS (which I really, really want) it will mean I cant go for a 30D, instead I will have to decide between a 1D and a 20D. Now, which of those is "as much as I can get for my money" I dont know. I know a 350D isnt the camera for me, so that is out of the question.

1-series love or a newer 20D that hasnt got as many cool features but a better sensor. Should I be finding it this tough?

For me, the only reason to go 1-series is for press or sports photography where you need that fast fps. I'm still using a 10D and my only reasons for contemplating a 30D would be the better noise and faster buffer writing.

Back