Where to purchase a 1DX from

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
No
Hi everyone. In a bit of a dilemma. I want to purchase a 1DX and as you know they are not the cheapest piece of kit. So I have these options. What would you guys do.

1. Hdew cameras - currently on for £4079 inc 3 year warranty (not canon but through another firm) obviously from Hong Kong, but all are and it's just the box that has a UK sticker on when it's sold from here.

2. Kerso - currently £4475 inc battery and cf card. USA model with a UK VAT receipt and they have told me Canon UK honour the warranty.

3. UK Dealer - Average price around £4800. Garaunteed UK model

It's a lot of money to spend but a big difference in price between the options. If you were purchasing what would you do.

**EDIT**
Forgot to add I can use credit card on Hdew purchase or UK retailer but would have to pay via bank transfer with Kerso and that means a cash advance or whatever from credit card company which may incur handling fees

Last edited:
Out of the three listed I would buy from Kerso due to the warranty

Richard

Whilst not canon 1DX, I was under a similar dilemma . Again, I weighed up the pro and cons around purchasing from the internet providers (Non Uk )

Although, this was for a Nikon D4 , I ended up going through Calumet as they price matched the best online UK price and too boot they were offering one of these hard cased external drives. On the face of it wasn’t a massive deal, these drives do retail for £170.

The difference was enough to get me to think about HDEW etc but ending up buying through calumet.

Its seems that the cost difference here is wider, especially if comparing with HDEW (we have used hdew to purchase 5d3's for our video side )

At this level the cost savings are certainly welcomed and in my case were not great enough to go the other way. If this was me I would look at Kerso, a Uk warranty and i'm not sure if canon has a professional services section like Nikon, expedited repairs is one example here. These certainly add value in my mind but again may vary according to individuals.

G

Richard

Whilst not canon 1DX, I was under a similar dilemma . Again, I weighed up the pro and cons around purchasing from the internet providers (Non Uk )

Although, this was for a Nikon D4 , I ended up going through Calumet as they price matched the best online UK price and too boot they were offering one of these hard cased external drives. On the face of it wasn’t a massive deal, these drives do retail for £170.

The difference was enough to get me to think about HDEW etc but ending up buying through calumet.

Its seems that the cost difference here is wider, especially if comparing with HDEW (we have used hdew to purchase 5d3's for our video side )

At this level the cost savings are certainly welcomed and in my case were not great enough to go the other way. If this was me I would look at Kerso, a Uk warranty and i'm not sure if canon has a professional services section like Nikon, expedited repairs is one example here. These certainly add value in my mind but again may vary according to individuals.

G

I'm leaning towards Kerso but wondering how I get the money from my credit card into my bank

I don't think Kerso gives a VAT receipt, I may be wrong now but he didn't a year or so ago, I'd check that...but he is reliable.

Bought mine through DigitalRev on a daily deal of which it arrives within 4 days from HK but it's also cheaper elsewhere but didn't know too much about other sellers at the time!

All I can say is, I love it, the only thing it can't do is give me a back massage and put the kettle on :)

I think with Hdrew if you need a repair you can take the camera to a local repair center get an estimate and they send you a cheque. Obviously you have to pay first but its a bit more convenient than sending it to Glasgow to have repaired.

I don't think Kerso gives a VAT receipt, I may be wrong now but he didn't a year or so ago, I'd check that...but he is reliable.

That's the thing though. No VAT receipt = not quite legal, no matter how reliable.

Bought mine through DigitalRev on a daily deal of which it arrives within 4 days from HK but it's also cheaper elsewhere but didn't know too much about other sellers at the time!

All I can say is, I love it, the only thing it can't do is give me a back massage and put the kettle on :)

plus 1 :clap:

HDEW offer UK warranty and are a UK based company. Problems in the first year are covered by Canon and the remainder by HDEW. Just bought a 5DMK3 from them.

I've bought a 5D2 and 24-105 f4L kit and then a 5D3 body from Hdew. Great price, great service, you can get a VAT receipt and they use Canon for the first year warranty and then a Canon approved service centre for the remainder. At £4079 for a 1Dx I'd jump on it straight away if I had the cash, but sadly I haven't (I could get the £79 but it's the £4K that's the problem).

As far as I know, Hdew import their products from within the EU and not from the Far East so they qualify for the European warranty but they are not UK stock so they don't qualify for the cashback.

Last edited:
so why does HDEW not qualify for the cashback?

FWIW I asked Kerso about the 5D3 and he advised that other folk have bought and have had their cashback claims recognised by Canon.

I think with Hdrew if you need a repair you can take the camera to a local repair center get an estimate and they send you a cheque. Obviously you have to pay first but its a bit more convenient than sending it to Glasgow to have repaired.

I bought my 7d from HDEW and can confirm that you can use a local repair service under the extended warranty. They made it simple; I got a quote for the repair, they sent a cheque :)

That's the thing though. No VAT receipt = not quite legal, no matter how reliable.

Turnover is well above the VAT threshold and yet not VAT registered?
Not illegal, but not ethical, bit like Starbucks/Google/Amazon etc etc?

Last edited:
I got my 1DX from HDEW, would buy from them again. 3 year warranty can be used with your local repair as long as they are an authorised canon dealer. I would normally use Fixation here in London.

Only UK stock is available for cash back, but for £4000, price diff is too much not to consider I. This made my decision, including feedback and the 3 year warranty.

I got my 1DX from HDEW, would buy from them again. 3 year warranty can be used with your local repair as long as they are an authorised canon dealer. I would normally use Fixation here in London.

Only UK stock is available for cash back, but for £4000, price diff is too much not to consider I. This made my decision, including feedback and the 3 year warranty.

I had my 7d repaired in the 2nd year of warranty by an unauthorised Canon dealer (my local one) without any issue.

Congrats on your new toy. Now lets see some shots when you get it, I'm sure it'll be awesome.

Fingers crossed! Tell the other half you're going to be busy for the next 2 weeks while you get used to it :) I bought mine a couple of months ago and I'm still finding new things to do!

How long did delivery take for you. They confirmed payment this morning.

3 days... took me an entire day to unbox it! cherished every moment of it... my wife just looked at me weird... :wacky:

Went thru the manuals and online tutorials to pass the time... purchased on a thursday and didnt arrive until the tuesday... has that new smell (similar to a new car smell) when you open it up... (y)

3 days... took me an entire day to unbox it! cherished every moment of it... my wife just looked at me weird... :wacky:

Went thru the manuals and online tutorials to pass the time... purchased on a thursday and didnt arrive until the tuesday... has that new smell (similar to a new car smell) when you open it up... (y)

Well they took my payment tuesday so I'm hoping Friday but I keep looking at my email to see if I've received a despatch notification. :)

Hi,I bought a 1dx yesterday from Carmarthen camera centre in s.wales. I paid £4700 for th camera uk stock ,they are a canon premier centre.i don't think ther is cash back on the 1dx at the moment,awesome camera though.:eek:

Back