Where to stand at Cadwell Park?

Name
Toby
Edit My Images
No
I'm off to Cadwell next week for the BSB but have never been so was wondering where the best place is to stand for photography please?

I'm hoping to get someone catching air over the mountain, is there a 'best place' to stand for this?

Are there any good fence free areas?

And lastly where are you likely to see the biggest lean angles?

Any advice would be appreciated (y)

Cadwell is small, some of the track is very narrow (even for bikes - especially Hall Bends down to Barn Corner), you should be able to find plenty of spaces for good photography, without going too far from the grandstand/cafe area, I would suggest that A-F in that article would be agood place to start, and venture to the top of the circuit if you want higher speed action. Don't forget that a lot of bikes will get quite a bit of 'air' going over the mountain (B/C on that diagram).

Coppice (L) should also provide some good views of bikes at high speed

There are a lot of altitude changes at Cadwell, and that offers some good viewing positions, you can see a lot of track (in both directions) from many vantage points.

The Goosneck is also an entertaining corner, don't know what photographic access is like, but it is the incident corner, I've come off there in the wet in a car before, visiting both sides of circuit and one side twice!!! (Long right hander entry, then a sharp flick to the left, and no straight in-between to get any serious braking done, before the drop (which you accelerate down despite your brain telling you not to! before the sharp left hander at Mansfield).

Its a lot slower circuit than your usual haunt of Donington, expect speeds of passing bikes to be less.

You'll enjoy the day (its more primitive than Donington, very few facilities (and choices of food, etc) so if your wife is going with you, she may prefer a day in nearby Louth!!!)

Last edited:
Cadwell is small, some of the track is very narrow (even for bikes - especially Hall Bends down to Barn Corner), you should be able to find plenty of spaces for good photography, without going too far from the grandstand/cafe area, I would suggest that A-F in that article would be agood place to start, and venture to the top of the circuit if you want higher speed action. Don't forget that a lot of bikes will get quite a bit of 'air' going over the mountain (B/C on that diagram).

Coppice (L) should also provide some good views of bikes at high speed

There are a lot of altitude changes at Cadwell, and that offers some good viewing positions, you can see a lot of track (in both directions) from many vantage points.

The Goosneck is also an entertaining corner, don't know what photographic access is like, but it is the incident corner, I've come off there in the wet in a car before, visiting both sides of circuit and one side twice!!! (Long right hander entry, then a sharp flick to the left, and no straight in-between to get any serious braking done, before the drop (which you accelerate down despite your brain telling you not to! before the sharp left hander at Mansfield).

Its a lot slower circuit than your usual haunt of Donington, expect speeds of passing bikes to be less.

You'll enjoy the day (its more primitive than Donington, very few facilities (and choices of food, etc) so if your wife is going with you, she may prefer a day in nearby Louth!!!)
Thanks David, I appreciate your comprehensive reply. I had a quick look at track action on youtube this morning and it appeared the only viewing area for the mountain was the grandstands unless you wanted a shot from the rear going up the hill, or a bit further down the track at the hospitality area (I assume you can't get in there). I'm sure I'll figure it out, and maybe that article will explain it when I read it (y)

I'm going solo, my wife doesn't come to many race meets for obvious reasons :LOL: A few of my mates are going up on the bikes but there'll just be in one spot all day probably.

@snerkler you might be able to get in-between the grandstands, or by the side, or if not shoot with a long lens from M across the circuit, its not that far and the viewing area at M is elevated as is the mountain. You are lot closer to the action at Cadwell, and it is a very small circuit (with very little run-off - quite scary in a quick car!!), if you have not been before you'll be surprised.

The street view photo dots give quite good (reverse) views and show you just how close you will be the action.

I've driven Cadwell several times (its a fun circuit), looking at the recent BSB lap times, they are about 30-35sec up on what I was doing in a car 20 years ago (and that was scary enough, you'll understand when you see the circuit) so they will be quite quick through Coppice and down Park Straight. Coppice is a maximum commitment corner, if you don't lift, you are going at some speed which makes Charlies very exciting!!

Most of the corners are right handers and the only viewing areas are on the outside of the circuit, so you might struggle a little to get lean shots (if you want them leaning into you)

Last edited:
Cadwell Park is a circuit of two distint characters - on 2/5th of the circuit is twisty and shrouded in trees, the remaining 3/5ths is fast and open. As a spectator you'll have limited access - ie can't go infield, but the Hall Bends complex through the trees should be exciting, and they'll catch air over the mountain. Spectactors can't get beyond the hairpin at the end of hall bends to the start / finish line.

The race series I follow hasn't been to Cadwell for a couple of years, but the quick guys were several seconds faster per lap.

@snerkler you might be able to get in-between the grandstands, or by the side, or if not shoot with a long lens from M across the circuit, its not that far and the viewing area at M is elevated as is the mountain. You are lot closer to the action at Cadwell, and it is a very small circuit (with very little run-off - quite scary in a quick car!!), if you have not been before you'll be surprised.

The street view photo dots give quite good (reverse) views and show you just how close you will be the action.

I've driven Cadwell several times (its a fun circuit), looking at the recent BSB lap times, they are about 30-35sec up on what I was doing in a car 20 years ago (and that was scary enough, you'll understand when you see the circuit) so they will be quite quick through Coppice and down Park Straight. Coppice is a maximum commitment corner, if you don't lift, you are going at some speed which makes Charlies very exciting!!

Most of the corners are right handers and the only viewing areas are on the outside of the circuit, so you might struggle a little to get lean shots (if you want them leaning into you)

Cadwell Park is a circuit of two distint characters - on 2/5th of the circuit is twisty and shrouded in trees, the remaining 3/5ths is fast and open. As a spectator you'll have limited access - ie can't go infield, but the Hall Bends complex through the trees should be exciting, and they'll catch air over the mountain. Spectactors can't get beyond the hairpin at the end of hall bends to the start / finish line.

The race series I follow hasn't been to Cadwell for a couple of years, but the quick guys were several seconds faster per lap.
Thanks guys, I appreciate the information

i went recently after asking in here and got some great advice

After being there half an hour the announcer on the tannoy mentioned there where a few photogrpahers about and then proceeded to tell them some of the best spots for photogrpahy :)

To get the best Mountain shots you need to go on Practice Day. That's when the bikes really take off.

A really good spot to get "close up leaning shots" is the first left-hander at Hall Bends (where the children's playground is).

i went recently after asking in here and got some great advice

After being there half an hour the announcer on the tannoy mentioned there where a few photogrpahers about and then proceeded to tell them some of the best spots for photogrpahy :)
Cool, thanks
To get the best Mountain shots you need to go on Practice Day. That's when the bikes really take off.

A really good spot to get "close up leaning shots" is the first left-hander at Hall Bends (where the children's playground is).
I'm only going on Monday, but there is a practice session in the morning so hopefully I'll see some take off.

Back