Where to start

Edit My Images
No
Ive been getting a lot of work lately and a few weddings that I've shot I've been using my speedlites off camera.

At a recent event I had set up 2x yongnuo 600ex rt flashes. I was doing some OCF and getting some great results but now and again a speedlite wouldn't fire, then it would un-link itself from the controller. Just became a pain really.

Im wanting to move up to get a proper lighting setup that isn't speedlites. Preferably a mobile setup that I can run off a battery pack.

From what im seeing there is far too much choice and I can't seem to decide what would work for me.

I will be shooting portraits, wedding stuffs and some studio work.

Any help?

Without any idea of budget it is difficult to say, Godox (either through Lencarta or Essential) are becoming somewhat the system that is talked about when portable is mentioned. They offer an extensive system that is all controlled within the same ecosystem from speedlights, lithium powered portable strobes to studio strobes, certainly worth a look.

Last edited:
Moving to a Godox only system makes loads of sense, An AD600, AD200 and speedlights might be over your budget, but not if you recoup from selling your existing YN speedlights.

Yes, Godox is usually the answer these days, pretty much regardless of budget, with the only exception being when heavily invested in a different system. You may have been unlucky with your YNs - I run 4x 600EX-RT and they've been reliable though don't get hard use. However, if buying again now it'd be Godox and even if you just replace the YN speedlights you'd get a slightly better build quality and faster recycle with the lithium battery option, and maybe a tiny bit more power (like a quarter stop).

The logical step up is the AD200 (or Pixapro-branded equivalent) with double the power from the same size as a speedlight, and a bare-bulb head option. Top of the range is the AD600 or AD600-Pro with roughly 6x the power of a top speedlight and fully featured, but a hefty beast.

There are loads of other options, but let's keep it simple - Godox wins all round on features, performance, system and price. What they've achieved in a few short years is quite remarkable really, it's as if all the other manufacturers fell asleep while resting on their laurels. The technology is not particularly new or unique, but Godox have strung it all together into a unified package that reflects the way we actually work today. Godox's modular design approach is pretty unique though, which greatly increases versatility.

I wouldn't expect to get much for a pair of YN speedlights (even if they're not faulty ;) ) but you have plenty of budget for a serious outfit with a couple of AD200s, plus speedlight, controller, modifiers etc.

Last edited:
Excellent. That’s just what I needed. I’ve been looking at the AD600 and pro version. They look pretty good.

Yes, Godox is usually the answer these days, pretty much regardless of budget, with the only exception being when heavily invested in a different system. You may have been unlucky with your YNs - I run 4x 600EX-RT and they've been reliable though don't get hard use. However, if buying again now it'd be Godox and even if you just replace the YN speedlights you'd get a slightly better build quality and faster recycle with the lithium battery option, and maybe a tiny bit more power (like a quarter stop).

The logical step up is the AD200 (or Pixapro-branded equivalent) with double the power from the same size as a speedlight, and a bare-bulb head option. Top of the range is the AD600 or AD600-Pro with roughly 6x the power of a top speedlight and fully featured, but a hefty beast.

There are loads of other options, but let's keep it simple - Godox wins all round on features, performance, system and price. What they've achieved in a few short years is quite remarkable really, it's as if all the other manufacturers fell asleep while resting on their laurels. The technology is not particularly new or unique, but Godox have strung it all together into a unified package that reflects the way we actually work today. Godox's modular design approach is pretty unique though, which greatly increases versatility.

I wouldn't expect to get much for a pair of YN speedlights (even if they're not faulty ;) ) but you have plenty of budget for a serious outfit with a couple of AD200s, plus speedlight, controller, modifiers etc.

Excellent. That’s just what I needed. I’ve been looking at the AD600 and pro version. They look pretty good.

AD600-Pro is a very accomplished unit. Also, the original manual-only AD600-BM has the same power at half the cost. And don't forget the AD-B2 adapter that turns a pair of AD200's into a 400Ws head with modelling LEDs.

Back