Review WHF days - A review from someone new...

Name
Ryan
Edit My Images
Yes
There's been a few comments about the WHF days on here but haven't seen one from a new(ish) member or from someone who is only just beginning their joureny into photography, after yesterday I thought I would put in a quick write up.

Yesterday I had an unexpected day off with nothing to do and a good forecast, spotting some empty places on the WHF day a quick PM to DigitalFailure and the day was booked, my first big cat day and no real expectations.

An early'ish start and the Sat Nav programmed I hit the road and timed it just right to get to the Wildlife Heritage Foundations site at 9:45am just in time to setlle in have a smoke (no smoking at all in any part of the WHF grounds for those smokers) and wander on in. The welcoming comittee was made up of Matty from TP and one of the guides, free coffee and hot drinks weer available in the cafeteria area, which was more than welcome.

Once everyone had arrived and introductions done a short and to the point welcome from the guide for the day and the all important safety briefing, along the lines of when I say jump everyone jumps and beware of certain cats as the paws will come 3 foot out of the cage if they want to :LOL:

As soon as we were all ready we were straight out to the first of the cats, for us yesterday it was the Lynx, the guides know all of the cats extremely well and will give you pointers as to what he is going to get the cat to do so you can line up your shots and if you want the cat in a certain spot for a certani shot all you have to do is say, it is very tog friendly...

You spend enough time on the day to get superb shots of every cat in there, if the Lions/Tigers are dosile enough then time is provided for people to get shots of themselves stroking the biggest cats out there.

Lunch is provided in the form of a cold buffet, fresh ingredients and plenty of food so you won't go hungry, chocolate and fizzy drinks are also available in the cafeteria for those of you that need a sugar boost throughout the day.

For lenses, yesterday I used everything from 10mm to 200mm, personally I don't think there is any need for anything longer. I have shots with the cats full from at 10mm, although please be careful as a number of us yesterday did find out that the cats do lick the lenses :bang: :LOL:

In summary, the days are a guarenteed way for anyone from the true beginner in photography upto the most experienced of togs to get very up close an personal to some the biggest and rarest of the wild cats and get some absolutely stunning photo's for your library, the guides are extremely knowledgeable and friendly, they really are a day not to be missed.

I'm fortunate enough to be going back in a couple of weeks

Why have I not included photo's in this thread? I am currently in the office, I have brought the lappy with and just finished copying 911 images accross from yesterday so a little bit of sorting to do! Images will follow at some point today.

If it's a day your considering going on, don't hesitate and get yourself booked up, the day is excellent value for money and one you definately one forget in a while :D

Edited to add photo's
I've just finished sorting through approximately 1000 photo's from today, please take a load of memory on the day you go to save cutting some images off the camera, the cats move and change so quickly you just don't have time.

A few photo's to show how close you can get to the cats...

lion4.jpg

tiger.jpg

puma.jpg

And some of my favourite shots from the day...

amur6.jpg

snowleopard.jpg

lynx4.jpg

Last edited:
I live 2 mins away from there and never went apart from on their free open day. Might have to pop over there sometime then.

Thanks for the review.

Nice review Ryan, important to get a beginners (so to speak) view on the day. Roll on the 10th Jul:D

nice review Ryan. thank you for taking the time to do it! Richard, places are available in July!

Back