Which 18-200mm for Nikon?

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
As per previous thread(s) - I would like to change my 18-70mm & 70-300mm lenses for a single lens & was going to try to wait it out for Nikon to sort out their backlog on the 18-200mm VR - I may still do that but wondered if anyone has the (non VR) Sigma or Tamron lenses? - There are also some lenses that dont go so wide (28-200mm IIRC) so I'd like to hear from anyone who has something in that range too ... Paul (y)

I would wait for the VR lens, it is supposed to be top notch. Have you tried Onestop Digital? I haven't used them but many on here have and recommend them, there are also some good HK dealers on ebay.

The verdict on Nikonians seems to be the Sigma, but Amatuer Photgrapher seems to disagree. They rated them as follows:

Sigma
For:
Exceptional zoom span
Good outlines/sharpness
Good ergonomics
Value for money
Against
Shorter actual focal length span
Warmish colour

Spec 28/30
Build 18/20
Handling 18/20
Performance 20/30
Overall 84%

Tamron
For
Exceptional zoom span
Fuller focal length range
High resolution
Accurate colour
Value for money

Against
Longer lens barrel
Drawing at 18mm

Spec 28/30
Build 16/20
Handling 15/20
Performance 26/30

Overall 85%.

Taken from 18 June 2005 issue.

Hope this helps.

Hacker said:
I would wait for the VR lens, it is supposed to be top notch. Have you tried Onestop Digital? I haven't used them but many on here have and recommend them, there are also some good HK dealers on ebay.
Hacker - thanks for your reply - even One-Stop were struggling to get these! I'm finding it hard to justify spending so much even though it would be well used & virtually live on the camera :bang:
While digging around I spotted a 28-300mm that Sigma do but reviews of it are scarce :bonk:
Life would be much easier if (like the US) we had decent camera stores where you could check everything out & try before you buy rather than asking for help online & buying from HK etc
Keep the suggestions coming ... Paul (y)

Steer clear of the Sigma 28-300. For starters, I found it hunted a hell of a lot, and in general the AF was very slow. Image quality was fairly good (certainly better than the 70-300 Nikon G kit lens!)

It weighed a fair amount as well, and the zoom would shift if pointing it downwards while tripod mounted - hardly ideal.

The wierdest thing was that compared to the 70-300, the focal length seemed to be more like 24-250, not 28-300...

Hope that helps!

Paul - I used the Tamron equivalent as a loan lens from AJP while waiting for my Nikkor 18 - 200 ... :p

Whilst there is nothing fundamentally wrong with the Tampon ... it is what it is when compared to the Nikkor ... as you might expect.

As you say it does not have VR (and I find that a boon) and it feels cheap ... the worst thing for me was the tendency to slide in (or out) far too easily when tilted from the horizontal ... :thumbsdown:

Now whilst there is a Lock button to prevent this sliding ... and of course it works ... it is a tad fiddly imo ... and can make it awkward if you forget it is locked when you want to zoom ... can result in wasted time and lost opportunities ... :shake:

In terms of quality of photogrpahs ... I don't think it would be significantly different at my level to be so noticeable ... :p ... but in terms of the overall quality and other stuff it would have left me disappointed if I had purchased one ... ;)

All IMHO of course ... HTH ... :p

As Baldrick would say "I have a cunning plan" - I am going to try a Sigma 18-200mm (which I have found 2nd hand) while I stay on my dealers waiting list for the VR to materialise :naughty: ...
If the Sigma does what I need I can keep it & let the dealer sell the VR to someone else - If the Sigma is not up to the job I can sell it on when the VR comes in ...
FWIW - From the images I have seen at the 18mm end of the Sigma I MAY decide to sell my Sigma 10-20mm which I have barely used since buying it in June - If anyone here is interested in a bargain 10-20mm perhaps they could let me know here or via PM (BIM this could be in days / weeks / months depending on when the Nikon VR arrives at my dealers)
Paul (y)

Back