Which 35mm film?

You can buy 10-packs of 36-shot Vista 400 from AG for £37. It's Superia 400 repackaged and a nice film. The Vista 200 in Poundland was almost always 24-shot, and the inferior C200. So 72 shots of Poundland Vista would cost you £21 with dev/scan from Filmdev, while 72 shots of Vista 400 would cost you £19.40 with dev/scan!

...but 36 exposures takes ages to get through unless on holiday :eek::D

I thing about a film is that is it is so personal and you have to experience the film to love it.

Just try various B&W and colour and look at what other people post, you will then get the idea of what you like.

Good luck and enjoy.

This is so very true. A great example would be HP5... a lot of people love and rave about it, yet I've never seen a photo that I've liked that was taken on it, because I simply don't like the way the film looks.

...but 36 exposures takes ages to get through unless on holiday :eek::D

It depends on what you photograph. In my younger days when I used to photograph people, I found that if you took enough photos to get people used to you taking photographs, after that you faded into the background and you could then get on with the job.

For general use I've always liked Superia 200, and with the right lens, light, subject combo you can get VG results..and you can tweak in Photoshop to how you like it (sometimes I like lots of colour saturation other times not) e.g.:-
Sup 200 and 40mm hex for 1st shot and sup 200 for 2nd shot using flash and probably Canon 28mm

gy9e3Rw.jpg

fMm4R5a.jpg

I know the OP was really asking about film for general use, but I thought it's worth pointing out an EMULSIVE article doing a blind comparison test of Fuji Natura 1600, Kodak Portra 800 and Lomography 800. Interesting results! (He asks us not to reveal the results, so a bit difficult to discuss!)

I was surprised he didn't include Superia 800. Apparently he kicked himself for not including Cinestill 800T.

I know the OP was really asking about film for general use, but I thought it's worth pointing out an EMULSIVE article doing a blind comparison test of Fuji Natura 1600, Kodak Portra 800 and Lomography 800. Interesting results! (He asks us not to reveal the results, so a bit difficult to discuss!)

I was surprised he didn't include Superia 800. Apparently he kicked himself for not including Cinestill 800T.

Thats actually a really interesting read, though I'm a little confused as to why he went for the Natura 1600 and not 800... I know he pulls it, but isn't that adding an extra variable into the mix?

I got myself some Agfa vista plus 400 to practice with then I’ve got a few rolls of Fuji superior 400 to go through when I’ve got the development nailed.

I’m going to have to order some portra though it seems to get execellent reviews from everyone you ask. Thanks for all the info guys

I got myself some Agfa vista plus 400 to practice with then I’ve got a few rolls of Fuji superior 400 to go through when I’ve got the development nailed.

I’m going to have to order some portra though it seems to get execellent reviews from everyone you ask. Thanks for all the info guys
AFAIK Vista 400 is re-branded Superia 400, just cheaper...

I'm not yet convinced it's exactly the same film, Chris. I've read that some people seem to think it's made for Agfa by Fuji, but whether it's exactly the same film emulsion as Superia 400 Xtra? No doubt Shaun will be able to do a comparison once he's shot a couple of rolls of each, particularly if shot in similar lighting conditions and he sends one of each make in the same envelope to a lab for development (that would probably result in them going through on the same run, which should largely rule out any significant variation in processing). That might be an interesting comparison?

I'm not yet convinced it's exactly the same film, Chris. I've read that some people seem to think it's made for Agfa by Fuji, but whether it's exactly the same film emulsion as Superia 400 Xtra? No doubt Shaun will be able to do a comparison once he's shot a couple of rolls of each, particularly if shot in similar lighting conditions and he sends one of each make in the same envelope to a lab for development (that would probably result in them going through on the same run, which should largely rule out any significant variation in processing). That might be an interesting comparison?

IIRC it was checked by bar code and film frame edge markings and the conclusion was Vista 400 is Superia 400.....if you can't check film this way then Vista ain't Fuji C200 o_O

Have a look at this video (on the YouTube website) and the relevant comment and the reply below it:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09q4jGSYgqE

As I said, I think a comparison using fresh stocks of Agfa and Fuji 400 might be interesting?

H'mm if Fuji is"mass" producing film why would they change the emulsion (or whatever) and call it Agfa Vista (Agfa don't make film anymore)..IMO it would ruin the production line when they are already making C200 and the Superia range (and others). Also why does Agfa Vista exist at all unless the name is used for a side line to get rid off excess stocks....common practice for other consumer things e.g. TVs.

Since I have negatives of both I'll check the codes... when I get home.

I suppose the only ones who really know will be Fuji themselves? :confused:

Well I might be using the last of Agfa -Gevaert iso 400 colour film as the Tesco film I'm using ATM has barcode 007573 and using https://dexter.pcode.nl/?dx= is Agfa.
Why Agfa Vista PLUS made by Fuji came into it is a puzzle as why keep the Agfa name going when they stopped making consumer film about 12 years ago.
Well my fireworks from New year's day and shots I've forgotten are on 3 rolls of Tesco film (Agfa) to send off to filmdev and it will be interesting to see how they came out...well I can always blame the film was old o_O;)

Why Agfa Vista PLUS made by Fuji came into it is a puzzle as why keep the Agfa name going when they stopped making consumer film about 12 years ago.

The Agfa Vista Plus range is nothing to do with Agfa. Agfa licensed the name out to Lupus Imaging and Media, and they repackage the Fuji film with Agfa branding.
Agfa-Gevaert still make film, the aerial surveillance stuff. That itself is sold re-packaged by mostly 'boutique' brands like Japan Camera Hunter.

The Agfa Vista Plus range is nothing to do with Agfa. Agfa licensed the name out to Lupus Imaging and Media, and they repackage the Fuji film with Agfa branding.
Agfa-Gevaert still make film, the aerial surveillance stuff. That itself is sold re-packaged by mostly 'boutique' brands like Japan Camera Hunter.

Ok.....so Lupus Imaging and Media repackage what Fuji film for Agfa Vista plus 400 and how did Poundland buy Agfa Vista plus 200 and 400 then sell for £1 and make a profit. My guess is someone wanted to get rid of a load of film and Poundland saw an opportunity, as I've seen this in the past when Poundland also used to sell Ferrania and Kodak film.

Ok.....so Lupus Imaging and Media repackage what Fuji film for Agfa Vista plus 400 and how did Poundland buy Agfa Vista plus 200 and 400 then sell for £1 and make a profit. My guess is someone wanted to get rid of a load of film and Poundland saw an opportunity, as I've seen this in the past when Poundland also used to sell Ferrania and Kodak film.

Agfa Vista 200= Fujicolour C200
Agfa Vista 400= Fuji Superia 400
Agfa Prescia 100= Fuji Provia 100F

For Poundland we can but guess. I imagine Lupus was sitting on a warehouse of Agfa Vista that had reached a certain proximity to it's expiry date and seeked to offload them cheap.

For those that are interested, all the Lomo stuff is Kodak. The colour film is Gold/Procolour/Ultramax. I've been waiting for Lomo to get some more of the 800ISO 120 film for an age now.

Agfa Vista 200= Fujicolour C200
Agfa Vista 400= Fuji Superia 400
Agfa Prescia 100= Fuji Provia 100F

For Poundland we can but guess. I imagine Lupus was sitting on a warehouse of Agfa Vista that had reached a certain proximity to it's expiry date and seeked to offload them cheap.

For those that are interested, all the Lomo stuff is Kodak. The colour film is Gold/Procolour/Ultramax. I've been waiting for Lomo to get some more of the 800ISO 120 film for an age now.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09q4jGSYgqE
Then from above post i.e. Agfa Vista 400= Fuji Superia 400 doesn't make sense...UNLESS the Fuji Superia 400 you buy today is an update from older Superia 400\Agfa Vista plus 400.
Just AAMOI about Fuji 400 http://www.fujifilm.com/products/consumer_film/pdf/superia_xtra400_datasheet.pdf it's not worth bothering for compensation for night shots as even for 60 secs it's only one stop Also they say processing:-
CN-16, CN-16Q, CN-16FA,
CN-16L, CN-16S or C-41
H'mm "or C41" o_O Asda used to use Fuji developer, so if labs use Kodak C-41 could that explain slight differences in results.

Last edited:
I imagine that there are all sorts of potential, hypothetical, possibilities why some films may appear to be coded the same but sold under different names at different prices. As I said, probably only the film manufacturer will know for sure and I wouldn't imagine it would be in their or their bulk-trade customers' commercial interests for them to divulge this information, particularly just to satisfy a few curious people on internet forums.

In the end, does it matter? If someone thinks it's different film then fine, if someone else thinks it's all the same film then fine; the main thing is that we all keep buying film and using it so that the manufacturers will keep on making it, hopefully encouraging them to devise and launch newer and even better versions (hopefully all at an affordable price!). :)

Last edited:
I imagine that there are all sorts of potential, hypothetical, possibilities why some films may appear to be coded the same but sold under different names at different prices. As I said, probably only the film manufacturer will know for sure and I wouldn't imagine it would be in their or their bulk-trade customers' commercial interests for them to divulge this information, particularly just to satisfy a few curious people on internet forums.

In the end, does it matter? If someone thinks it's different film then fine, if someone else thinks it's all the same film then fine; the main thing is that we all keep buying film and using it so that the manufacturers will keep on making it, hopefully encouraging them to devise and launch newer and even better versions (hopefully all at an affordable price!). :)

Ah but at my age I have plenty of spare time to be curious about little things that others wouldn't bother with o_O:D

Back