Which 4k Monitor?

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Yes, I know this has been done to death before and I apologise right here and now for dragging the subject up again but I am looking for some personal recommendations please.

My requirements are quite simple:
1. 3840 x 2160 resolution
2. 27 or 28" size
3. IPS screen
4. 100% sRGB (or more)
5. HDMI and DP ports
6. Speakers would be nice too
7. £400(ish) budget

I'm trying to restrict my budget to £400.00 but TBH that's a figure I plucked out of the air rather than the max I have to spend. My PC is less than 3 years old with an i5-8400 CPU, 16GB RAM, 250GB M2.2 system drive, 256GB Seagate SSD, 1TB Toshiba HDD, Nvidia GTX1030 graphics card with 2GB RAM. W10/64 operating system with all the latest updates and security fixes installed. I use the computer for image editing (with LRC, PS and On1 Photo RAW 2021) plus general tasks using Office365 and general web browsing. My current monitor is a 27" ASUS VZ279HE and if I had the space I would add another one but it's a bit cramped in here so I'd like to go 4k to get some extra screen real estate. I'm also hoping the 4k screen will stop me hankering after an iMac :)

I've been going round in circles for the past few days looking at specification, functions and features so thought I'd give my brain a rest and come here for some real world user recommendations.

Over to you folks :)

This looks OK https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B088LVN...olid=2SN5FK7VDBXFJ&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
Maybe you can find it a bit cheaper elsewhere. Almost everything else decent is now closer to £2k.

P.S. you absolutely want DCI-P3 or aRGB now. sRGB is inadequate for printing and will be inadequate for web soon too. It is from 1990 and it sucks badly.

Thanks for the suggestion LLP but 32" is too wide for the space available on my desk.

sRGB may be from the 1990's but it is still the dominant colour space and let's face it, I'm from the 1950's but I'm still the best version of me available :)

I went round in circles for months, in the end I narrowed in down to either Benq PB2700U or Dell U2720Q, both 4k 27" screens. In the end I bought a pair of the dells and so far I am very happy with them. They are considerably cheaper from Amazon rahter than direct from dell. I went with these as I have had a succession of dell monitors both at home and work and they have all been good.

What is the difference between exactly the same dell monitors when one is ultrasharp and the other is not?
I can’t see what the ultrasharp adds.

I went round in circles for months, in the end I narrowed in down to either Benq PB2700U or Dell U2720Q, both 4k 27" screens. In the end I bought a pair of the dells and so far I am very happy with them. They are considerably cheaper from Amazon rahter than direct from dell. I went with these as I have had a succession of dell monitors both at home and work and they have all been good.

Hi Gareth,

The Benq BD2700U is one that I have looked at and is on my list of possibles. I checked out the Dell and it is a really nice looking monitor but at around the £500 mark it's out for the time being. Thanks for the suggestions though :)

My Dell laptop has a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050Ti Graphics with 4GB GDDR5 vRAM.
Does anyone know if this will run a 4K display?

I’m struggling to get a definitive answer via Google.

My Dell laptop has a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050Ti Graphics with 4GB GDDR5 vRAM.
Does anyone know if this will run a 4K display?

I’m struggling to get a definitive answer via Google.

I could run 4k with it, although I preferred 2k due to scaling issues with Win 7.

Win 10 is all good though and I'm running UW 4k (3440x1440) with an MSI GTX 1660 Super.

The 1050Ti can apparently go up to a resolution of 7680x4320 @ 60Hz.

Go to the Nvidia page here: https://www.nvidia.com/en-sg/geforce/products/10series/geforce-gtx-1050/

Scroll down then click on the green "VIEW FULL SPECS" which will open up a popup.

1050.jpg

Well I opted for the Dell.
Ordered off Laptops Direct with delivery tomorrow - was marked as in stock.
Now they’ve mailed me to say 18th November delivery due to supplier problems.
Anyone else used this outfit?

Oh that's annoying when it happens. I think I've used them once a long time ago. I use Scan now who I've only had one slight hiccup with and if no option then I'll use Amazon.

Does Scan or Novatech have the monitor in stock?

No neither.
I've used them also some time ago without problems.
I can wait.

I recently used their sister company, appliances direct and had exactly the same thing. Ordered a Neff dishwasher that was shown as in stock and could be delivered in two days. Then once payment had been taken got three emails over the following 10 days pushing back delivery. However, other than the delay, the delivery was excellent.

I think I would use them again, particularly if the price was competitive but also be weary that delivery may not be as quick as expected.

Only used them once to purchase my HP laptop as they were almost £100 less than my normal high street computer store. In fact the store owner recommended them!

No problems - laptop arrived the next day exactly the spec I ordered.

Just to update my situation wrt the monitor. I have created a shortlist of possibles but am going to wait for Black Friday and see what offers are on but will definitely be getting one this side of Xmas. My shortlist consists of (in no particular order):
  • iiyama Prolite XUB2792UHSU
  • Philips 278E1A/100
  • Benq PD2700U
  • Dell U2720Q
My existing ASUS 1920x1080 monitor will then be up for sale.

Well after Laptops Direct 3rd advice of delivery delay (when I ordered this was marked as in stock and I paid for next day delivery) I got fed up and cancelled. They refunded quickly.
Their site was still saying a date 2 days hence if you ordered (20th Nov), on the same day as they advised me mine was put back until 2nd week December.

So I ordered off Amazon and my Dell Ultrasharp U2720Q is here. I'm pleased with it and it charges and connects to my laptop via the USBC single cable.
Display is 60hz. However, when I turn it on the screen says data 2k. Is this for video download and not something I need to bother about for photo editing?

P.S. Dell also sell a Premier Colour Ultrasharp U2720Q which costs approx. £500 more. As far as a I can see the more expensive version has a thunderbolt 3 connector and also a
built in colourimeter.

Well my decision was made, monitor ordered and delivered and I am now happily using it :)

In the end I opted for a Samsung LU28R550quxen - https://www.samsung.com/uk/monitors/high-resolution/uhd-monitor-28-inch-lu28r550uquxen/ - not even on my radar earlier in November. I have to say I was very impressed with the build quality and the ease of setting it up ... it did it itself originally but I later replaced the Windows default drivers for the Samsung ones. This hasn't resulted in any discernible improvements in the monitor but I figured the manufacturer would have a better handle on how their monitor should work.

Back