Which 70-200mm f2.8 for a nikon D5300 ?

AF-S 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Lens £1749.00
AF-S 70-200mm f2.8E FL ED VR Lens £2199.00
AF-S 70-200mm f/4G ED VR Lens £999.00

That is your choice as they don't do a DX version only Full frame
So really it is more a case of your budget and if you intend to upgrade your camera later on to a full frame camera

First question is f2.8 or f4 version

if f2.8 then the first in the list is the one I have

All 70-200 mm lenses in the Nikon range are fairly heavy so would they upset the balance between your camera and lens, just a thought

Last edited:
Forgot to say as yours is a crop sensor those mm length have to be multiplied by around 1.4 or 1.5 times can't . remember which.
might pay to have a look at the 70-300mm VR lens

AF-S 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 G IF-ED VR Lens £479.00

ok F4.5-5.6 but I used to have that lens until I upgraded and a lot cheaper

Last edited:
The pinnacle of quality are the Nikkor versions. The newer being superior but also higher priced.

Also consider the Tamron 70-200... the new version tested very well - close to the Nikkor but at a good price reduction over them - and the older version was pretty good too. There is also a Sigma which is not as high quality but good value for money. All these have VR/VC.

Second hand there also the option of the earlier Tamron but that didn’t have VR ... I think it’s still available new, but better value second hand - just be aware there are versions with and without built in AF motors: you’ll need the revised version with motor if you want AF with your D5300.

Generally you get what you pay for in terms of quality.

You could pick up a S/H Tamron 70-200mm 2.8 SP VC for around £550 if not a little cheaper, excellent lens for the money, the new G version supposed to be better than the Nikon according to some reviews, check out youtube for reviews on both Tamrons.

AF-S 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Lens £1749.00
AF-S 70-200mm f2.8E FL ED VR Lens £2199.00
AF-S 70-200mm f/4G ED VR Lens £999.00

That is your choice as they don't do a DX version only Full frame
So really it is more a case of your budget and if you intend to upgrade your camera later on to a full frame camera

First question is f2.8 or f4 version

if f2.8 then the first in the list is the one I have

All 70-200 mm lenses in the Nikon range are fairly heavy so would they upset the balance between your camera and lens, just a thought
There's also the first 70-200mm f2.8 VR which will be great on the D5300 and cheaper than the VRII. This lens vignettes on FF though so if the OP is considering swapping to FF in the future they may wish to discount it.

A light one, that body will be very lens heavy otherwise.

A light one, that body will be very lens heavy otherwise.
I don't find it an issue with these lenses as I hold it by the lens anyway.

I have the 70-200 VR, mentioned above. I used it with the D300s and now use it on the D750. Although there have been newer versions of this lens, I'm in no rush to change it as the quality if superb. This stays on my main D750 body and I use various other lenses on the second D750 body. You could pick one of these up at a good price now, I paid around £1200 second hand a couple of years ago.. .. ..

Forgot to say as yours is a crop sensor those mm length have to be multiplied by around 1.4 or 1.5 times can't . remember which.
might pay to have a look at the 70-300mm VR lens

AF-S 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 G IF-ED VR Lens £479.00

ok F4.5-5.6 but I used to have that lens until I upgraded and a lot cheaper

Not following the logic here?

I would recommend the Nikon VR1. I've had several of them over the years and never been disappointed. They do vignette on FX, though it barely registers as an issue when using lightroom and of course will be irrelevant on a D5300. Used ones are about £700+. I've used a couple of the other options but think these make a lot of sense from a VFM perspective. They're robust and dependable.

Last edited:
Back