Which A4 printer

Name
Mervyn
Edit My Images
Yes
I am looking to buy a new good quality photo printer, A4 size, Any recommendations please. Have always had Epson but not committed to them
MERV

I personally rather like the Canon pixma MP range - superb quality and reliability (imho) and compatible inks are very cheap and work as well as the originals.

Thanks Stew

no problem - not sure on the rules for sharing where I get my inks, but feel free to PM me if you get a Pixma and I can let you know (or happy to post if it's allowed?)

Thanks Stew. What is your specific model? I used compatibles years ago and since having trouble with 1 in 3 failing have stuck to genuines only. Expensive mind you
Merv

From experience, unless you are printing regularly avoid Epson, in fact just avoid Epson full stop.

Canon are a better bet imo

Last edited:
I am looking to buy a new good quality photo printer, A4 size, Any recommendations please. Have always had Epson but not committed to them
MERV

I used to have an Epson and wasn't very impressed with it, swapped to a Canon iP printer and straight out the box was much better and I've been very happy with it and have recommended lots of times.

I've only used genuine inks and never had a problem.

Had a Canon Pixma IP4700 for years never lets me down.(y)

Thanks Stew. What is your specific model? I used compatibles years ago and since having trouble with 1 in 3 failing have stuck to genuines only. Expensive mind you
Merv

I've had a few, currently have a Pro9000, IX5600 and and MP650 (not 100% sure thats the correct model) - all have worked well and for photos recommend canon paper, works just as well with the compact inks, as the originals (the originals for canon's aren't what id call overly expensive).

Model wise, i think any with separate inks will do a good job - if you might consider A3 prints occasionally, then IX series are just like running an A4 single function with the capacity for larger paper!

Have seen good reports on the the Epson 1500W. Any comments please

i see that Canon Pixma IP8750 and IX6850 are current sellers Stew. Can you comment?

Appears the Canon preferred by a lot of folks -- as you know my Epsons have given me a lot of trouble. Andrew

Another vote for the Pixma, I have an MG5350 and use cheap compatible inks too, £8.99 for two full sets off Amazon and seem to last as long as the originals. I bought it as it prints directly onto DVD and the quality is superb.

Canon Pixma ip7250 here. Wireless, 5 individual cartridges and prints on printable CDs too. I use a set of refillable cartridges and just fill them up when needed. The place I got the refillable cartridges from sell 2 types of ink. One dye based, the other is pigment based.

Guys coming down in favour of Canon Pixma IP8750

I've had a pixma mp for many years. I moved to a epson workpro and are just as happy. Still got my canon pro 9000 as well. Cant for the live of my remember why I swapped, but I'm happy and never looked back.

Stew bought the IP8750. Hope I'm pleased
merv

Back