Which antivirus

You get what you pay for!
For example most free AV's update every few weeks, or worse you have to remember to do it - paid for like Kaspersky will allow you to schedule updates every day, hour, 15 mins etc
No... I prefer a cloud based streaming update... At 10:07 (as I write, my latest virus database update was from yesterday and my latest streaming update is 10:03:21 this morning.

The good free A/V are actually not bad.

The real problem is that as viruses evolve, the a/v companies will have differing levels of detection from month to month. What is good this month is not necessarily good next month.

I no longer use Windoze, but found AVG free was entirely adequate when I did (and it updated very regularly) - nowadays I have no paranoia about viruses whatsoever, I run Linux Mint.....
There's going to be a few people smiling wryly when you get hit by your first browser exploit... ;)

Probably tempting fate to say it, but I've never had a sign of such things - Mint updates regularly (often more than once a day) and is intrinsically a far safer o/s all round....

annnnndddd...the OP doesn't bother replying...you might as well save your time anyone else that's thinking of replying......

Happens all the time Neil, very irritating. At least it was a reasonable question, the ones that really bug me are people who ask questions that are so banal that a minute or less on google would have gleaned the answer with little or no effort on the OPs part.

annnnndddd...the OP doesn't bother replying...you might as well save your time anyone else that's thinking of replying......

Happens all the time Neil, very irritating. At least it was a reasonable question, the ones that really bug me are people who ask questions that are so banal that a minute or less on google would have gleaned the answer with little or no effort on the OPs part.

You reading the right thread?

The OP did reply in post 4

They have not been on the forum since and considering they are having computer problems anyway it could well be the reason why

Just cut them a bit of slack

I was replying to firefires statement as a generalisation and not about this thread in particular so I didnt even check all the replies.

I was replying to firefires statement as a generalisation and not about this thread in particular so I didnt even check all the replies.

Had a few beers last night! Think in the future it's best to just read and not post when enjoying a tipple at home! :exit:

You get what you pay for!
For example most free AV's update every few weeks, or worse you have to remember to do it - paid for like Kaspersky will allow you to schedule updates every day, hour, 15 mins etc

Why is this important?

This is a list of known viruses and trojans so far discovered today and does not include variation updates on existing viruses and trojans:-
rubbish AVG updates all the time....as for finding new viruses most are not real many tools tell you they find things that do not exist only to fool you in thinking how good it is.
or to sell you something.

Actually my laptop was in for repair as the fan unit popped due to it constantly being on because of how hard the antivirus was pushing it !!!

Thank you to everyone for your replys.

I'm going to leave my laptop off line and just use it for editing,that way I can remove the antivirus on it and use my wife's for web work until I can save for a more powerful one for myself :)

I have been using AVG for many years and works really good. You can test the free version first.

I use NIS and dont have any issues, i've used it for about 5 years and have noticed it is now less intrusive. But it is paid for.

i have microsoft security essentials...
never had a problem, but then again i dont download anything i'm not sure of.
I do regular backups of OS so if i do get a problem just re-image...,

Thank you to everyone for your replys.

I'm going to leave my laptop off line and just use it for editing,that way I can remove the antivirus on it and use my wife's for web work until I can save for a more powerful one for myself :)

When you get rid of the nasty virus it may be helpful to download and run the free Spybot S&D. I find that even after a good virus/spyware scan with most AV programs it often finds some latent nasties. Good little free program and worth running now and again. It cant hurt. (y)

I've used loads of different ones over the years, some paid for and some free and to be honest I really don't think it matters much which you go for as long as it's one of the major ones.

Just pick a flavour and pays your money (or not if you choose a freebie).

FWIW I use Microsoft's (free) Security Essentials.

I use AVG and have installed AVG on all my parent's PCs/laptops for the past few years. Considering my parents are not tech savvy, it hasn't caused any issues for them.

If Norton is any good or not these days is a moot point because certainly in the past it has been so awful most people would never try it again.

Avg used to be ok and probably still is but I found it was starting to use more resorces. Avast is fine but personally the "Avast viruis database has been updated" gets on my jutty out bits. McAfee .. don't even go there if I'm asked to sort a PC out and it's got a virus its also usually got McAfee on it.

If people feel they need to pay for antivirus Nod or Kaspery if you want good free Avast if you can put up with it, Komodo gets highly commended I use the firewall in combination with Avira which I don't believe anyone else has mentioned.

:shrug:Maybe it's me but a lot of times people could save themselves trouble with some common sense ... "I think it might have been that email from dhl....." :bang:..."and you opened it because you were expecting something from dhl ..."

For those using firefox the Blue FangyThing is worh adding.

Has anyone experienced the issue with Avast 8 and windows XP? Tried upgrading last night and pc went into boot loop! Having googled a bit this seems to be a bit of a common problem and the only solution at the moment is to go back to Avast 7 - poor PC is currently with my work IT dept, but from what I've read so far on the Avast forum I might have to abandon Avast for a while or bite the bullet and upgrade the PC to Win 7.

Thanks Neil! I think the registry's a bit messy so they are going to sort that out then I'll download A7, i uninstalled it when it first started looping!

Back