Which B/W film?

Edit My Images
No
I would like some advice about black and white film, I have just shot my first roll of b/w, Ilford HP4 which I used for some landscape shots.They came out fine for a first attempt. Not sure if it would be suitable for fine portrait shots, what would be your first choice for that type of work.(y)

if you're looking for low grain and working with decent lighting, then go for PanF+ (50 iso) or maybe Delta 100 (100 iso natch;)) and dev. them in perceptol - grain should be barely visible.

if you're looking for low grain and working with decent lighting, then go for PanF+ (50 iso) or maybe Delta 100 (100 iso natch;)) and dev. them in perceptol - grain should be barely visible.

Yes, I'll second that. Pan F is a great film. I've made 10x8 prints from this and the grain is virtually invisible.

I liked the tones from Kodaks t-max 100 but it's been so long since I used film I really have no idea if they still make it

Thanks for the helpfull comments, I will look at Delta 100.

The Delta 100 is a lovely film, and offers finer grain than the FP4 (in my opinion). I tend to shoot mostly landscapes and am happy to use either film as I know I'll be able to make decent enlargements out of them. I rarely shoot portraits apart from the occasional one for a family member, and have used both Pan F and the Delta for this purpose.

HP5+

fine grain+great tonal range and can be used on other types of work.

currently using neopan 400 and I like what I'm getting and its cheaper than HP5+. Will also try Kodak Tri-X as I have read so many good thing about it.

I'm using both fp4 and hp5 and would def recommend them!

dont underestimate fp4 plus ,,,bloody good if you get it right ! but then the delta 100 is good ,,just seems to be a little less forgiving for some reason ,

The Delta 100 is a lovely film, and offers finer grain than the FP4 (in my opinion). I tend to shoot mostly landscapes and am happy to use either film as I know I'll be able to make decent enlargements out of them. I rarely shoot portraits apart from the occasional one for a family member, and have used both Pan F and the Delta for this purpose.

Do you struggle getting the grain in focus though? I helped my mate make a print from Pan50 at the weekend. It was the first time I'd worked with it and it was a right pain to ensure the grain was in focus as it was barely visible. 400 films are so much easier in that respect.

Do you struggle getting the grain in focus though? I helped my mate make a print from Pan50 at the weekend. It was the first time I'd worked with it and it was a right pain to ensure the grain was in focus as it was barely visible. 400 films are so much easier in that respect.

Do you have a focus finder? I've printed Pan50 quite happily with the aid of one of these (it's a little magnifying thingy that lets you see and focus grain quite comfortably on any film I've ever used)

I use a Paterson focus finder (as mentioned by Mustanir). I bought mine many years ago when I started processing, and is the extended version which allows you to focus without having to bend over too much. At the time, Paterson had two versions (maybe still do) and I found the smaller one a little inconvenient as I was bending over too much whilst trying to focus the enlarger.

You're right though, finer grain films are harder to focus on than larger grain films, but I've never really had any problems using the above Paterson.

EDIT: I've just checked the Paterson website, and they still produce both versions:

http://www.patersonphotographic.com/patersondarkroom-details1.htm#low

I did have one but knocked it onto the floor the other night so now I need to buy a new one. I could see the grain but it wasn't easy with my dodgy eyesight nor Den's near see-through negative;)

I've been having a quick look around various darkroom suppliers, and the Paterson's tend to go for around the £22 to £25 pound mark (small ones). The only place I've found the larger version is at Nova Darkroom which sells it for £45. Not exactly cheap! Have a look at the link below for Nova if you're by any chance interested, but I'm sure you could pick up much cheaper examples on e-bay.

http://www.novadarkroom.com/cat/145/Focus_Finders_&_Loupes.html

Perhaps I'll just break out the superglue Carl. I'd like one of the Patterson major finders as I only tend to print reasonably big anyway. I broke a Patterson micro focus finder and I've got a durst job that looks identical to the Kaiser one in your link but I don't like it as much as the Patterson.

Back