Which B&W starter kit to go for?

Name
Jake
Edit My Images
No
So I have found 4 starter kits, each with their own merits but Im not sure which is best overall. Im only interested in developing at the moment, but prints may come later.

Contestant 1
+Loupe
+Film opener

Contestant 2
+Squeegee
+Stirring paddle
+Developing dish(needed for developing?)

Contestant 3
+Juggs
+Timer
+Digital Thermometer

Contestant 4
+Film
+Chemicals
Big - No messuring equipment.
:shrug::shrug:

Which kit would you choose if you were just starting out? Do you know of a better one? Do you know anyone selling some used kit near the Hampshire/Dorest boarder?

Thanks, Jake.

For developing only you need 4 things:

Developing tank with a reel- link, but get an extra reel so you can do 2 at a time
Dark bag - link
Chemicals for developing (there's loads, though I'd go with Rodinal and Ilford Rapid Fixer)
Clips for drying the film - link
You'll need a scanner too, but this is up for a larger debate as there are loads of scanners available - most go for Epson 4490/V500 or Canon 8800F which are under £150

Well done for choosing to do your own developing, BTW - it's rewarding, cheap in the long run and of course gives you only yourself to blame if you screw anything up :)

Last edited:
Luxuries but not necessities: loupe, squeegy, special jugs, timer, thermometer (unless doing colour, then you'll need to control temperature too), film canister opener (use a bottle opener :))

Actually, if you're going for Rodinal or any other high concentrate liquid developer, you will want a 50ml graduate. Oh, a couple of funnels would help too, though you don't need special ones - grab a couple at your local pound shop

Last edited:
Of the ones you quoted, i'd go for the third one, but get an additional spool as mik suggests (kit features a universal tank which will take 2x35mm spools or 1x120 - same spool, it's adjustable in width) Also, a dark bag is much easier than contriving to black out a entire room for loading up your film. Also the ebay seller does a chemicals kit, which if you ask nicely, he'll combine postage with the hardware. (Yes - i've bought stuff from him before :LOL:)

Don't use a squeegy on films! Okay on prints but you'll get tramline scratches down all 36 negs.

Are you developing B&W?

If so:

Chemistry - Developer and Fixer from AG photographic. I order my films there too 'cos they're cheap. They also sell A4 neg wallets which is handy.

Dev tank + reel - eBay. Just search on "Darkroom" and order it by "time remaining" to see auctions finishing over the next few hours. I snapped up a bargain on mine. Just make sure there's a reel included.

Stop bath - vinegar & water mix - goes on the household shopping bill, and while it's reputedly more expensive that stop bath, it's a budget thing.

Hanging pegs: I use clothes pegs.
Changing bag: If you have a room in a room, (A windowless closet in a bedroom) you can draw the curtains in one room. Not had a problem yet.
Cannister opener: I use a bottle opener.

Measuring jugs/thermometer etc - I've found Ilford HP5+ to be very flexible in terms of temperature and dev mix. I've managed with a 50p (outdoor) thermometer and cheap plastic measuring jugs. 20° is about room temperature.

I was trying to develop film on the cheap, and so far, this was cheaper than any "starter kit".

Your mileage, may very well vary though :)

Ian.

Back