Which backpack..????

stan the man

Nutkicker
Name
mark
Edit My Images
Yes
Okay, I have a sony alpha 100 plus an 18-70,75-300 plus a 50mm prime lens. I also want to carry a tripod/monopod plus a few accesories, also add some extra lens plus flash at some point in the future. I already have a rezo 170 in which I manage to just about to get the body plus lenses in, but I don't fancy using it on long treks, so which backback would you recommend to carry all the above? Also as I'm on a tight-ish budget, lowepro is the one make i'm looking at..

thanks in advance.

Hi stan i have just recieved my new lowepro compudaypack a lot of diffrent compartments for camera,lens,flashes,even laptop costs arround £99 .But got it through a book club and saved about £75.00 as it was my first order .Weigh about 3lb.comphy to crry and space for flask as well :woot:hope his helps.andy

glad to help easier with a back pack than bag gives me more movement

Lowepro minitrekker or the hama rucksack which is an absolute bargain on ebay.

tamrac expedition 7/9?

for long treks, without the doubt the most comfortable I've used is the lowepro primus. You'll get all that in plus have easy access through the side pocket. More lenses/flash etc can be carried in the top compartment which is also very well padded. Great straps, good tripod carrier but comes at a price.

I am also looking for a backpack and have narowed it down to the Lowepro orion trekker or the Tamrac Adventure 7. Both have appartments on top for your sandwiches!

I got the medium sized backpack from National Geographic. its pretty comfy, looks like a standard backpack.

only a couple of problems, its quite heavy with no kit in it, and on a hot day it can make your back sweat...

Eoghan

I'm in the market for a new backpack too. Want to be able to carry extra clothing in mine and lunch etc. Looking at the Lowepro Rover AW 2 or Rover AW Plus. I found my slingshot really hard work hiking in Austria last year with the extra weight (it was only my v. lightweight waterproof, no room for jumper and food, someone else carried it for me - which was quite useful) as it was all on one shoulder. I feel the extra padded straps around the waist will be a real help taking all the weight from my shoulder / neck area.

I use the lowepro rover awII, I found the 'plus' a little too big for my needs.

Last Saturday, I was out from 0530 to 1830 on the Dorset Coast, very hilly and carried:
D300 with 17-55 attached, D200 with 10-20 attached, manfrotto MF4 tripod with head (which has a specific pouch on the outside), 1 litre drink cannister (net pouch on the outside), SB600 Flash, 28-300 lens, filters and filter holders. In the top half, a spare battery, Waterproofs and an extra layer of clothing, sandwiches, chocolate (most essential bit) and other food. With all the kit it's quite heavy, but very comfortable for many hours due to a well thought out ergonomic fit.
It works for me (y)

Thanks Jas, that was really useful information. From what you have said the Plus will probably be a bit big for me too as I don't have anywhere near the amount of kit you do at the moment.

Think I might have look around online to see what the best price is. Last time I looked it was Morris Photo.

Even better my folks are buying me it as a belated Christmas present, there wasn't any rush to get it for before.

Andrea

Last time I looked it was Morris Photo.

I bought mine from there around 6-7 months ago.

I currently own a few – er maybe 5 lowepro bags, and one of the action man vest things and all I can say is lowepro rocks:clap::clap: - they are not the cheapest but they do last well and they keep your stuff dry. :rules:

The last bag I brought was the lowepro mini trekker - from fleabay for £10!!! I kid you not :D
What a great bag, a good size but not too big. I currently take it to work with me everyday with my just in case kit: :cautious:-

Canon 1ds
50mm 1.4
24-105mm f4
300mm f4
1.4 extender
Ex 550 flashgun
12 x AA batteries
4 x 1d batteries
My sandwiches’, fruit, yoghurt for lunch
A magazine or small book

This should give you an idea of size

I just got a backpack from Crumpler...the company is not dedicated to camera usage, but I'm real happy with the build quality, versatility and comfort. It's worth checking out their website for the various models, and I recommend trying them on in-store if you can find a retailer near you. I'm pretty happy so far, but...I'm also curious what others' experiences may be.

KATA 'DR' series. Not the most spacious but enough room for a body(with grip attached), 2/3 lenses, flash and filters, personal stuff and some fod int he top biy. Plus it comes with a packaway raincover. Very comfortable to wear (looks like a parachuting pack) and cheap - £55 for the standard and £75 for the laptop version.

had a look at a few today,including the slingshot 100,200 and 300...nice packs,but no tripod holder or rain cover made it a no option.also looked a some makes of which i'd never heard of,and they didn't impress me at all.also saw one in a local camping equipment store..by jack wolfskin,well made and some nice features,but where you stored your body(ies) and lenses wasn't as flexible as the lowepro range,so i've opted for the lowepro mini trekker AW,good size,carries a tripod,compartment for food/accessories/clothing,waterproof cover etc,so best fits my requirements at present.

thanks for all your suggestions,you've all been a big help :clap::clap:

the mini trekker AW arrived today,and i'm well pleased...more than enough space for all my equipment and some.the quality is brilliant,and i'm gonna spend some time this evening filling it as much as i can...i may even take some pics and post on here if it helps :LOL:

I currently take it to work with me everyday with my just in case kit: :cautious:-

Canon 1ds
50mm 1.4
24-105mm f4
300mm f4
1.4 extender
Ex 550 flashgun
12 x AA batteries
4 x 1d batteries
My sandwiches’, fruit, yoghurt for lunch
A magazine or small book

Good god:eek: I'd hate to see you carrying your "all eventuality's covered" kit:LOL:

Back