Which batteries should I use for my NIKON-SB600?

Name
Dean
Edit My Images
Yes
I know that the flash takes 4 x AA batteries
My question is which is best to use? Standard batteries, or Rechargables?

Here's what I found on the internet

My SB600 takes easy-to-find AA alkaline batteries. You can also use Nimh rechargeables or lithium batteries as well.

Here's what you can use: 4 x AA-type: Alkaline, Lithium, Nickel, NiCd, or Ni-MH.​

I'm hopeing to go for Rechargables, which type of rechargable battery is the ebst?
I seem to remember reading somewhere that one type is better than the other with regards to recycle time etc?

Cheers

I use rechargeables, both Duracell And Camlink AA Ni-MH 2700mah

good question this is, ive seen lots saying they use "Eneloops" but whats the best mah's to get in them.? the highest possible.? or will any be ok. thanks.

1900 I think, they carry the best discharge rate.

Another vote for Eneloops - biggest capacity you can get - and also 7-day shop "good to go" which are very similar to the Eneloops in performance. I also recommend the 7-day shop 8-battery charger :)

Ill throw something else in for consideration, I have used eneloop batteries for a long time but have been using NiZn rechargeables for the last 2 months with good results. The higher voltage seems to give much quicker recycle times (a bit like using alkalines or non rechargeable Lithiums).

Last edited:
has anyone used Uniross and are they any good.?

just seen these Uniross 1-2hr Charger With 4 X AA 2600 HERE for 17 quid which could be a little on the expensive side compared to 4x Eneloops BUT it comes with the added bonus of in car charger & also USB charge cable.. so no matter where you are you have an option to charge these within just over a hr... where ive been reading the Eneloops can take up to 5 hrs to charge.?

also YouTube link HERE

The batteries in your link are quite expensive for standard NiMh rechargeables.

that could be due to them being more than twice the mah's than in the link you have posted & also the charger is a 3 way charger where you can either use electric usb or car socket.. so for me that makes them well worth the money..

that could be due to them being more than twice the mah's than in the link you have posted & also the charger is a 3 way charger where you can either use electric usb or car socket.. so for me that makes them well worth the money..

mAh isn't the only way to assess batteries, the older conventional NiMh might seem to offer a higher capacity but as they begin to lose charge as soon as they come off the charger (and continue to self discharge in the flash), you will find in normal use a 2000mAh eneloop will out perform your older tech 2700mAh.

Last edited:
Eneloop batteries and the technoline charger. Both bought through amazon.

Last edited:
+1 for Sanyo Eneloop. They maintain their charge for ages whilst sitting in your bag, and then last ages when used in the flashgun. Can't ask for more than that.

Ni Zn batteries are ideal for flash guns but there not ideal for everything due to their higher voltage and you do have to buy the dedicated charger
i would say any of the hybrid ( eneloop ) are the best for everything else and can be charged with any NiMh aa/aaa charger
the charger Neil shows on the youtube clip are pretty good but they do have a tendancy to cook the batteries a little especially if your only charging 2 at one time
charging 4 at a time isn't as bad
something to keep an eye on if you buy one of those chargers

i have both types of battery

Another vote for Sanyo Eneloops from me, got to say they hold their charge for ages.

Ni Zn batteries are ideal for flash guns but there not ideal for everything due to their higher voltage and you do have to buy the dedicated charger

anything designed for 1.5v alkalines will work fine with NiZn batteries as there is less than 10% difference (1.5 x 10% = 1.65v).

charger wise, yes, they wont charge on a conventional 1.2v charger.

One more thing - I bought my Flash (Canon 430EX 2) about a year and a half ago and replaced the batteries for the first time yesterday. If nothing else it shows the Hybrio batteries hold their charge for quite a long time.
If the Eneloops are a comparable price (or not much more) than the Uniross Hybrio, i'd probably get the Eneloops. They have a very good reputation so should be at least as good as the Hybrio, if not better.

One more thing - I bought my Flash (Canon 430EX 2) about a year and a half ago and replaced the batteries for the first time yesterday. If nothing else it shows the Hybrio batteries hold their charge for quite a long time.
If the Eneloops are a comparable price (or not much more) than the Uniross Hybrio, i'd probably get the Eneloops. They have a very good reputation so should be at least as good as the Hybrio, if not better.

There are many more varieties than just Sanyo and Uniross. For example, Panasonic and Duracell both do their own versions and there is even a 7DayShop own brand one as well.

Look for a descriptor like "Ready to Go" or "precharged" to find all the various makes.

There are many more varieties than just Sanyo and Uniross. For example, Panasonic and Duracell both do their own versions and there is even a 7DayShop own brand one as well.

Look for a descriptor like "Ready to Go" or "precharged" to find all the various makes.

I read somewhere that the Duracell version is supposed to be very good. Don't know about the other makes though...

Back