Which body with which lens

KTC

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, looking for some quick advice / opinion.

Shooting football, I have just got myself a 2nd hand 1D X and 400mm f/2.8 to go with my existing 5D4 and 70-200mm f/2.8.

Which body would you pair with which of the lens?

Normally the money shots are on the 70-200 so whichever is the better camera.. ,, I ahve the 1dx series but no idea what a 5d4 is...

Thanks for the responses so far.

I ahve the 1dx series but no idea what a 5d4 is...

I read from your previous advice on here to put the 70-200 on the better body, but just had no idea how to turn that into practice when the 5D4 is one tier lower but one generation newer with people's differing opinion on which is better at what. :thinking:

Here's my take on it- why not try them out on a say a none league or Sunday League game - easy enough to work out what's best by looking at the images :)

Job done

Les :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's my take on it- why not try them out on a say a none league or Sunday League game - easy enough to work out what's best by looking at the images :)

Job done

Are you suggesting pictures form a non league or sunday game have less value ?

Are you suggesting pictures form a non league or sunday game have less value ?

Not at all perhaps I worded it incorrectly. I meant try the equipment out at a normal kick about in the park game - usually on Sunday round my way or something similar

I did not mean to indicate none league or Sunday league images have little or no value.

Sorry if I confused the issue?

Last edited by a moderator:
For sport 1DX would be my choice as the better camera body as it takes 14 frames per second so you have a better chance of capturing the peak action than with the 5DM4 which can shoot 7 frames per second. It makes a big difference. The pixel count only matters if you expect to sell very big prints and usually that is unlikely.

...or if you intend to crop the image. Which you sort of do in sports photography. Quite a lot.
Good point. Overall, I'd still go with the higher frame rate if I had to choose.

I tend to crop more on the 400 than the 70-200 ..As @TimHughes points out the 1dx has a better frame rate (I didn't know) so I would stick to my original thought .. 1dx on short :)

Thanks everyone for your responses. We'll see how it goes later today!

Back