Which camera bag for holiday abroad.

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all, I am hopefully going to Montenegro in June and am in need of a new camera bag. Now while I have loved using my Evecase backpack over the years, it is unfortunately too big for the carry on allowance given by Ryanair as standard (40x25x20 cm)

Now what I need is something that will hold both my R5 & M6 Mark II, plus a EF 16-35, Tamron 100-400, and a couple native EF-M lenses, along with my iPad 12.9”.

I know it is unlikely that such a bag exists, but thought I would check.

Many thanks

Can't fully recall the specs but what about the Lowepro Flipside 400AW ?

Can't fully recall the specs but what about the Lowepro Flipside 400AW ?
Unfortunately they are over at 33 x 24 x 48 cm, than, you for the suggestion tho, I will see if there are any smaller ones in the series.

Lowepro Tahoe is about that size and good value but not sure about getting a 100-400 in?

I can't add much aside from do not get a Lowepro sling unless you like having a bad back!

Suggest that the cast of a camera bag would best be spent on upgrading baggage. my go to would be a think tank streetwalker but its also too big

i use a ThinkTank airport essentials; 30 x 46 x 18 cm which is what I use when travelling on a flight - but even that adds up to more than that. God Bless Ryan Air.

Lowepro protactic 350 AWii ? Not sure if the exact measurements of hand but could be an option.

Thanks for the replies everyone, I have been doing research and if I change my date slightly or Airport, then I can go with another budget airline with more generous baggage allowances. I have used Ryanair a couple of times and really don’t want to use them again, if at all possible.

For reference, I use a ThinkTank Airport International v2 and in it I keep a 1DX2 with 100-400 attached, a 7D2 with 70-200L attached, x1.4 and x2.0 teleconverters, three additional lenses and 2x flashguns. Whilst it might not be the most sexy looking roller bag in the world, its a really good bag. After accumulating too many bags over the years, I sold most but kept three - this one, a Lowepro backpack where a roller bag is less suitable and a Lowepro shoulder bag. Each are useful for different jobs and circumstances.

The last thing I can claim to be is a frequent flyer, let's be clear. When I flew to the US I spent more time stressing about getting my "big" camera bag onto the 'plane without difficulty., a Lowe Pro Photo Trekker AW and depending whose website I looked at it would either fit the allocation or it wouldn't. It's a bag which I use for storage and as a transport system and it's not something I often take out with me. Gripped 5DII, 100-400mm, 70-200mm, 50mm, 16-35mm plus flat ancillaries, batteries and charger.
I reasoned that with the handles and straps pressed flat against the body it would be capable of fitting the airline requirement. I don't use a tripod but that could have gone in my suitcase as did my shoulder bag.

When I got to the airport no-one, I repeat no-one was even remotely interested in this bag and whether it fitted the allocation.

My point? If your bag looks like it will nearly fit, it probably will.

I’ve been using a lowepro rucksack style bag for years It’s just in the airline’s size limit and can take a camera body and large lens without issue
The main problem is always the weight limit on some flights
I’ve never actually had my camera bag weighed or measured though

For reference, I use a ThinkTank Airport International v2 and in it I keep a 1DX2 with 100-400 attached, a 7D2 with 70-200L attached, x1.4 and x2.0 teleconverters, three additional lenses and 2x flashguns. Whilst it might not be the most sexy looking roller bag in the world, its a really good bag. After accumulating too many bags over the years, I sold most but kept three - this one, a Lowepro backpack where a roller bag is less suitable and a Lowepro shoulder bag. Each are useful for different jobs and circumstances.
I have one of these as well. Fabulous, well made, well designed. It is a great bag and dwarfs the airport essentials. I

think it weighs something like 3.5kg on its own. It is the luck of the draw whether you are taken to task for a bag that weighs too much or looks too big. If John is a big guy, it might not look that big. Once for Singapore airlines, I had gone over their cabin allowance of 7kg by 2 kg.; we were early in the boarding process; we were very smiley and polite and she did not care. Others were not so fortunate. Once I had to empty my bag [terrorism alert going on at the time] and use a smaller one from my case and my wife's carry on. At a check in for Delta airlines [urg] a staff member went around giving out labels; we avoided it somehow as the tags were targeted bags for the hold and they all went in it. It is very stressy wondering wha is going to happen at an international check in. Best to give them nothing to complain about; very little comes of arguing with the ref!

Back