Which camera bag for70-200? Show me your bags! :)

Name
Gareth
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm looking to get a new smallish bag to just hold the 70-200 (with camera attached preferebly) which is rucksack type.
Can you guys show me what you have please to help my decision. I'm a bit out of touch with what's on the market. I want something good quality.

I'm looking to get a new smallish bag to just hold the 70-200 (with camera attached preferebly) which is rucksack type.
Can you guys show me what you have please to help my decision. I'm a bit out of touch with what's on the market. I want something good quality.
I have the Lowepro toploader 75 aw works good with my Nikon d850 and 70-200 f2.8 vr1 works well to through over your shoulder had it about 12 years still going strong

I got an Atlas Adventure pack for carrying far more than that but it's designed by a company who built a hiking pack that could carry cameras rather than camera bags that you can hike with.

They do a smaller one - the Athlete: https://atlaspacks.com/pages/learn-about-the-athlete-pack.

I think it's probably still a bit big for what you want (you don't state whether you want to carry lunch/waterproofs too) and it's probably eye wateringly pricey (you don't mention budget), but I've had my Atlas bag for 2-3 years now and it's bloody brilliant. I reviewed it here if you're interested. It's been hammered and overloaded with gear and just works. The fact that they thought that you might want to take more than camera gear, and have added space for it, really appeals.

Lowepro AW400 or AW500?

The 400 is not quite so large but easily swallows a 6D, 70-200 f/2.8L, 24-105 f/4L, 17-40 f/4L

The 500 does all that plus Battery grip, 50 f/1.8, 40 f/2.8, a pinhole lens, a couple of teleconverters, extension tubes, ND filters & a polariser.

So in your spot, I'd be looking at the AW350... Within 12 months you'll be looking bigger :)

Last edited:
I got an Atlas Adventure pack for carrying far more than that but it's designed by a company who built a hiking pack that could carry cameras rather than camera bags that you can hike with.

They do a smaller one - the Athlete: https://atlaspacks.com/pages/learn-about-the-athlete-pack.

I think it's probably still a bit big for what you want (you don't state whether you want to carry lunch/waterproofs too) and it's probably eye wateringly pricey (you don't mention budget), but I've had my Atlas bag for 2-3 years now and it's bloody brilliant. I reviewed it here if you're interested. It's been hammered and overloaded with gear and just works. The fact that they thought that you might want to take more than camera gear, and have added space for it, really appeals.

They look like a nice piece of kit and something I might consider for my main bag when I replace it.
It’s a shame they don’t do a really small one as I’m only needing to carry the body and lens with a few bits. I currently have a small Lowepro Flipside but I don’t like the single strap. They do look good though. [emoji1303]

Lowepro AW400 or AW500?

The 400 is not quite so large but easily swallows a 6D, 70-200 f/2.8L, 24-105 f/4L, 17-40 f/4L

The 500 does all that plus Battery grip, 50 f/1.8, 40 f/2.8, a pinhole lens, a couple of teleconverters, extension tubes, ND filters & a polariser.

So in your spot, I'd be looking at the AW350... Within 12 months you'll be looking bigger :)

The 350 looks more like the size I’m looking for (I could go smaller though) but for £149 it’s pretty well priced. I have an old Lowepro 450 (I think) which everything gets dumped in which is why I need something small. It’s mainly going to just have just an mpe-65 macro lens and body but thought it best to cater for the possibility of the 70-200 too.
What about the Flipside Trek which might be the same size ish not sure.

Keep your eye out - I bought my 500 from a charity shop on the well-known auction site, described as used but all the tags were still on the straps... It was about ⅓ the price of a new one...

Lowepro flipside.
200 is the smallest and will hold body with 200mm attached.
300 will hold body with 200mm attached and space for another couple of lenses.
The accessory pouch at the top is removable.

200:
Screenshot_20200710-010243_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200710-010356_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
I've looked at my current small bag and it's an old Lowepro Slingshot which will carry the 70-200 on the body fine but I just don't like the single strap or side opening.
What does everyone think of this one. Are these capable of carrying a tripod too would you say without it sliding out all the time?

Flipside Trek BP 250 AW

1594379815081.png

It's dimensionally pretty much the same as the Sligshot but had 2 shoulder straps and opens at the back rather than the side. Any flaws with this option do you think?

I've looked at my current small bag and it's an old Lowepro Slingshot which will carry the 70-200 on the body fine but I just don't like the single strap or side opening.
What does everyone think of this one. Are these capable of carrying a tripod too would you say without it sliding out all the time?

Flipside Trek BP 250 AW

View attachment 285916

It's dimensionally pretty much the same as the Sligshot but had 2 shoulder straps and opens at the back rather than the side. Any flaws with this option do you think?
I use a trek 350 when I go hillwalking. I can get my A7ii and 24-105 in it plus another lens.
Which body and lens are you using?
Because this bag has more storage space for non camera gear, the camera section is not that big.

Which slingshot do you have?

Last edited:
I use a trek 350 when I go hillwalking. I can get my A7ii and 24-105 in it plus another lens.
Which body and lens are you using?
Because this bag has more storage space for non camera gear, the camera section is not that big.

Which slingshot do you have?

I'm not sure which Sligshot mine is. I've had it about 10 years now. The Trek 250 seems to be very similar to the Sligshot I have in terms of dimensions and I can fit a Canon 5D3 + 70-200 2.8 no problem with a little room for bits.

I'm not sure which Sligshot mine is. I've had it about 10 years now. The Trek 250 seems to be very similar to the Sligshot I have in terms of dimensions and I can fit a Canon 5D3 + 70-200 2.8 no problem with a little room for bits.
There should be a little tab with the model on it somewhere.
If you've checked the measurements and it looks like it will fit, should be OK.
I always end up buying bags, then need the bigger model. :LOL:

Last edited:
Back