Beginner Which Camera Canon D80 Or Fuji XT2

Sto

Edit My Images
Yes
Apologies I know it must be asked all the time but deciding isn’t easy.
I want to take Landscape, Natural World, Wildlife shots, streetlife and low light images My husband wants to take high quality images that he can transfer to the Mac and then paint. We have a budget of £1500 max. It’s also worth saying perhaps that I have tiny hands his are like shovels ( well, smallish shovels, perhaps more spade).
I was thinking about the Canon 80D it seems to meet our needs. I could get this and a better lens for the money. Affordable lenses. Is it heavy, cumbersome at risk of not getting used?
The Fuji XT2 Great specs, compact, can take it anywhere. Poor battery life, so would I have to buy a battery grip booster straight away, in order to get the most out of it? Had Fuji cameras in the past took some good quality shots. Lenses are they massively expensive for this camera? Could be going down in price after T3 launch? Not DSLR but am I talking myself out of a great Camera just because I’ve wanted a DSLR for years? Any help with that lot appreciated. Or Canon 7 D

Last edited:
My 80D sits in a drawer with my X-T2 being used in preference in most circumstances.
Mainly because it is smaller, lighter and just more fun to use.

The 80D really only comes out when I either want to stuff a long lens on it (I've stayed with the 18-55 kit and 35mm f/2 on the Fuji) or I want to use video (flip out screen and the dual pixel AF in video on the 80D).

Re battery life on the Fuji. In real life it's not as bad as the official figures. I figure on 800 or so shots per battery. no need for the grip (unless you want the faster fps), just stuff a couple of spare batteries in you pocket and change when required.

If you do decide Fuji though, I would probably try to find the extra couple of hundred and go with the X-T3. It's the current generation now.

Reactions: Sto
Both are very respectable cameras, the 80D is a fair bit chunkier than the XT2, if you have really small hands then the XT2 might be much more comfortable. If you get the grip along with, then that will please your hubby, it gives the camera a bit more heft, more grip and also extra battery life.

You'll get more for your money going with the 80D though, if you buy from the likes of HDEW. You could get the Camera, 10-18 wide angle [Great for landscape/scenics] , 50mm prime [street , low light] and 55-250 tele lens [wildlife] well within your budget. In fact you'd have enough over to get a 2nd smaller body as a back up, like the 200D/SL2 which is pretty much a mini 80D and you might prefer that and let the hubby use the 80D :)

You can get the XT2 + grip now used but 'mint' for not much less than £1000, that leaves you £500 for lenses. Fuji lenses are not quite so easy to get cheap, if you skipped on the grip you'd have more to play with. You mention wildlife so you're going to want a tele lens of some kind I imagine. The 18-55 2.8-4 and 55-200 would be a nice starting kit. But it may max out your budget, even without getting the grip.

I wouldn't look to the XT3, it's almost your whole budget for body only, and it's not that great a leap from the XT2, especially for a beginner. Glass is more important to get started.

Last edited:
Both are very respectable cameras, the 80D is a fair bit chunkier than the XT2, if you have really small hands then the XT2 might be much more comfortable. If you get the grip along with, then that will please your hubby, it gives the camera a bit more heft, more grip and also extra battery life.

You'll get more for your money going with the 80D though, if you buy from the likes of HDEW. You could get the Camera, 10-18 wide angle [Great for landscape/scenics] , 50mm prime [street , low light] and 55-250 tele lens [wildlife] well within your budget. In fact you'd have enough over to get a 2nd smaller body as a back up, like the 200D/SL2 which is pretty much a mini 80D and you might prefer that and let the hubby use the 80D :)

You can get the XT2 + grip now used but 'mint' for not much less than £1000, that leaves you £500 for lenses. Fuji lenses are not quite so easy to get cheap, if you skipped on the grip you'd have more to play with. You mention wildlife so you're going to want a tele lens of some kind I imagine. The 18-55 2.8-4 and 55-200 would be a nice starting kit. But it may max out your budget, even without getting the grip.

I wouldn't look to the XT3, it's almost your whole budget for body only, and it's not that great a leap from the XT2, especially for a beginner. Glass is more important to get started.
I wouldnt consider the 50mm on apsc a street lens. It acts like a short tele/portrait lens. for street and generel use and prime only id say something in the 18-35 mm range, sounds an awfull lot like a std zoom

I wouldnt consider the 50mm on apsc a street lens. It acts like a short tele/portrait lens. for street and generel use and prime only id say something in the 18-35 mm range, sounds an awfull lot like a std zoom

You might not, but many great street photographers do. Street shooters use anything from 35mm to telephoto, depends on their style. There is no rule. A 50mm on APSC allows you to be more intimate without getting up in people's faces, perfect for a beginner, which is what we're dealing with here. Using a 35mm might be more ideal for someone more experienced. Street doesn't mean getting as much in as possible, many prefer more isolated candids. There is also the 40mm 2.8 though, which allows more wiggle room, it's a 2.8 but is even stealthier. I suggest the 50mm for price and image quality, hard to beat for £100

It was just a suggestion either way, feel free to offer OP a better package for the money

Just a quick example, this was taken on an APSC Nikon D90 at 70mm, a fair bit tighter than a 50mm and you can get plenty in frame. I believe this was cropped in post even

Talk the talk by K G, on Flickr

120mm, again on the D90 - also cropped in post
_DSC8321 by K G, on Flickr

Last edited:
You might not, but many great street photographers do. Street shooters use anything from 35mm to telephoto, depends on their style. There is no rule. A 50mm on APSC allows you to be more intimate without getting up in people's faces, perfect for a beginner, which is what we're dealing with here. Using a 35mm might be more ideal for someone more experienced. Street doesn't mean getting as much in as possible, many prefer more isolated candids. There is also the 40mm 2.8 though, which allows more wiggle room, it's a 2.8 but is even stealthier. I suggest the 50mm for price and image quality, hard to beat for £100

It was just a suggestion either way, feel free to offer OP a better package for the money

Just a quick example, this was taken on an APSC Nikon D90 at 70mm, a fair bit tighter than a 50mm and you can get plenty in frame. I believe this was cropped in post even

Talk the talk by K G, on Flickr

120mm, again on the D90 - also cropped in post
_DSC8321 by K G, on Flickr

Nice portraits ;)
Offcource any lens can be used almost anywhere for almost anything. The Fuji 18-55 f/2.8-4 have been mentioned by Omar Gonzales as a great streetlens
from around 4min
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcG6ACTbwt4

Last edited by a moderator:

Sweet deal if you prefer an all around zoom. Looks ideal for starting up. Check out the 55-250 on there too, it's only £119! https://www.hdewcameras.co.uk/canon-ef-s-55-250mm-f4-56-is-stm-2434-p.asp

Nice portraits ;)
Offcource any lens can be used almost anywhere for almost anything. The Fuji 18-55 f/2.8-4 have been mentioned by Omar Gonzales as a great streetlens
from around 4min
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcG6ACTbwt4

You might call the second one a street portrait, the first, the subject is as much the boy behind the performer and others in the crowd and quite clearly a street image, not a portrait. I have watched that guy a few times, meh .. he's no more knowledgeable than the average Joe on here tbh

Last edited:
Sweet deal if you prefer an all around zoom. Looks ideal for starting up. Check out the 55-250 on there too, it's only £119! https://www.hdewcameras.co.uk/canon-ef-s-55-250mm-f4-56-is-stm-2434-p.asp

You might call the second one a street portrait, the first, the subject is as much the boy behind the performer and others in the crowd and quite clearly a street image, not a portrait. I have watched that guy a few times, meh .. he's no more knowledgeable than the average Joe on here tbh
Maybe not but I like his style and he makes good points....... And is a fun waste of time :)

Maybe not but I like his style and he makes good points....... And is a fun waste of time :)

I'm still subbed to him, and it's not an insult, he more or less has said it himself in the past. He is a professional, who happens to like the gear and talk about it. But I'm not taking street lens suggestions from him ;) Of course any lens can be used, same goes for landscape - the notion that wide angle only is required is nonsense, but you didn't pick me up on that one :p

You could get the Camera, 10-18 wide angle [Great for landscape/scenics]

I think the 80D package, whichever way you prefer to get it, is extremely hard to beat right now if you buy from HDEW. I have considered the set up I posted first myself, it would be pretty much all I need, and I'm thinking an M camera alongside for travel. But, then I ponder on something different daily :)

Last edited:
Well the problem with using longer focallenght is you distance yourself from your subjects making the images less involving. +you risk getting a lot of clutter between yourself and your subject. Pair that with a more limited DoF isolating your subject......
Offcource you can make great street photos with longer focallenghts but somehow it seems the old masters got it right with their 28-50mm on 24x36mm film :)

I have the 80d and for me it's a good all round camera. Good dynamic range, a decent fps, a good menu system (well for me anyway), not too big, nice flip out touch screen, good battery life and dual pixel AF (liveview/video). I suppose you could call it a 'Jack of all trades, a master of none'. That's not a put down though, because that's what as a hobbyist/amateur, taking photos of a bit of everything, is what I want.
It's just my opinion though and having never had the fuji I can't compare.

Thank you all. I’ve ordered the 80D bundle as above plus a 55-250mm lens and an 18-55. I’m going to the gym now to train to lift it ..... Excited
I'm sure you'll be happy with your purchase. With those 2 lenses, you won't need to go to the gym. I would suggest that you read the manual (i don't think it comes with the full manual, you have to download that. I bought a printed one on ebay, it's easier to read whilst you've got the camera in hand).

Last edited:
Thanks Cagey can’t wait to get started. I’ve ordered a spare battery. What SD card would be best?

I use two 16G SanDisk extreme, 90mb/s u3, cards.
One as a spare or incase I fill the first one up. You could just use a single 32gb, but it's good to have a spare in the bag, as it's quite usual to forget to put the one you last used back in the camera and the last thing you want is to take the camera out without a sd card. Or buy two 32gb cards, but that maybe a bit extreme.

I use the same cards that Nostromo suggests, I have 3 of the 32GB ones, plenty enough room. Not had one fail on me yet *touches wood!*

Back