Which camera for events like weddings, christenings etc.?

Name
Shem
Edit My Images
No
Hi guys. I have a little dilemma on which second camera to buy for the upcoming events. I already have 5d mk3 and unfortunately can't afford another one at the moment. My original plan was to buy 6d but now there is a 7d mk2 on the market (which is only a little more expensive than 6d) and I don't know which one would be better for family events and portraiture kind of work. Would it be beneficial to have full frame and crop camera instead 2 ff bodies, if I want to use both cameras at the same time? Does any of you wedding snappers use 7d mk 2 and how good is it's high ISO performance?
I want to buy a wide angle lens in the near future too and there was not too much choice just a year ago. Now with the new canon 16-35 f4 and new tamron 15-30 f2.8 there is much more to choose from. But still these are expensive options and I was thinking if I get crop second body I could buy i.e. sigma 10-20 instead. Any thoughts on that? Would 7d mk2 with sigma 10-20 produce similar quality and af speed as 5d mk 3 with canon 16-35 or tamron 15-30? Thanks in advance.

As a second body for weddings and christenings a 6D will be better than the 7DII. High-ISO performance with the 6D will be almost identical to your 5D3, but the 7DII will be around 1.5 stops behind. The 6D has a basic AF system but it's centre will focus at lower light that the 5D3. It is also very light in weight and provides general IQ equal to the 5D3. Silent shooting mode on the 6D is also very very silent.

The 7DII has great AF tracking, 10FPS, great build and waterproofing, and dual card slots. My opinion is that these are not very relevant for your usage (second body within low-light environments). If you were shooting sports or wildlife the 7DII would be what you want.

A 7D Mk II isn't really optimised for the sort of stuff you want to shoot. And I'd go so far as to suggest that the 5D Mk III might be overkill. How about trading in the 5D Mk III for a pair of 6Ds? That gives you the added advantage that they have identical controls and menus. When you have two (slightly) different cameras there's always a risk that two (slightly) different sets of controls and two (slightly) different menu structures means you might make a mistake or miss something.

As a second body for weddings and christenings a 6D will be better than the 7DII. High-ISO performance with the 6D will be almost identical to your 5D3, but the 7DII will be around 1.5 stops behind. The 6D has a basic AF system but it's centre will focus at lower light that the 5D3. It is also very light in weight and provides general IQ equal to the 5D3. Silent shooting mode on the 6D is also very very silent.

The 7DII has great AF tracking, 10FPS, great build and waterproofing, and dual card slots. My opinion is that these are not very relevant for your usage (second body within low-light environments). If you were shooting sports or wildlife the 7DII would be what you want.
My biggest grip with 6d is one card slot, different placement of the buttons and af. I don't like focus and recompense, especially when shooting on f1.4 or f1.8, which I do a lot. I really got use to my 5d3 and 7d2 is almost identical ergonomy and af wise. It also has dual card slot.
Ahh decisions decisions...

For what you want to shoot, the 6d is ideal.

It's Canon's low light beast, and has the best sensor Canon has ever produced.

A 7D Mk II isn't really optimised for the sort of stuff you want to shoot. And I'd go so far as to suggest that the 5D Mk III might be overkill. How about trading in the 5D Mk III for a pair of 6Ds? That gives you the added advantage that they have identical controls and menus. When you have two (slightly) different cameras there's always a risk that two (slightly) different sets of controls and two (slightly) different menu structures means you might make a mistake or miss something.
So far everyone suggests 6d with some valid points that I take on board. I have found this article http://www.slrlounge.com/canon-7d-mark-ii-review-wedding-photographers-perspective/, very interesting. What are your thoughts on this?

Oh and just to clarify one thing. No way I will trade my 5d3. I love it too much :).

How about trading in the 5D Mk III for a pair of 6Ds?
No way I'd trade down from a 5D3 to a 6D for weddings. The 6D's single card slot, tightly clustered AF points and its flimsy control pad are all a big step down! My wife uses a 6D and whilst it's a very capable camera, this dude already has a better one. A 6D would be a great 2nd body choice though. If I had a spare 6D I'd drop an S type focus screen in it, as that's one thing I miss on the 5D3.

No way I'd trade down from a 5D3 to a 6D for weddings. The 6D's single card slot, tightly clustered AF points and its flimsy control pad are all a big step down! My wife uses a 6D and whilst it's a very capable camera, this dude already has a better one. A 6D would be a great 2nd body choice though. If I had a spare 6D I'd drop an S type focus screen in it, as that's one thing I miss on the 5D3.
Damn right :)

I used a 7D2 for a wedding a couple of weeks ago. It was my first wedding, so I have nothing to compare it with, but I have to say it did an excellent job. I was very pleased with the photos and the couple, whom I gave the photos to this morning, were over the moon with them. The silent mode was particularly useful - I was six feet from the bride during the ceremony and she didn't hear a single shot. I wouldn't hesitate to use it for a wedding again, but, I have to say, I can now see the advantages of full frame for both low light ability and depth of field to help portraits pop. I do mainly wildlife and action, so the 7D2 is ideal for me, but if I start to do more weddings I will seriously consider swapping my 7D second body for a 6 D or 5D3.

Hope that helps.

I used a 7D2 for a wedding a couple of weeks ago. It was my first wedding, so I have nothing to compare it with, but I have to say it did an excellent job. I was very pleased with the photos and the couple, whom I gave the photos to this morning, were over the moon with them. The silent mode was particularly useful - I was six feet from the bride during the ceremony and she didn't hear a single shot. I wouldn't hesitate to use it for a wedding again, but, I have to say, I can now see the advantages of full frame for both low light ability and depth of field to help portraits pop. I do mainly wildlife and action, so the 7D2 is ideal for me, but if I start to do more weddings I will seriously consider swapping my 7D second body for a 6 D or 5D3.

Hope that helps.
Thanks for that mate. What was the highest ISO picture you shot and did you see a noticeable grain?

Off the top of my head I think I went up to 2000, and they cleaned up very nicely using the "Weak Noise" setting in Noiseware.

I'm still hesitating and I need to make up my mind fast. Anyone here that uses 7d2 on weddings? I could use your feedback!
Im sorry but you're not hesitating!

You're waiting for people to tell you to get a 7dII; the focus and burst rate of which are brilliant. If you wanted a 2nd camera to the 5dIII for sports or wildlife, it'd be perfect. But the low light IQ isn't close to the 6d, which you know is the better option. But you want a 7dII so you're hoping someone will tell you to do it.

Buy what the f*** you like, the Internet is awash with comparisons, you know what the 7dIIs weaknesses are, and you know that makes it unsuitable for weddings if you have any desire to shoot in low light. You just want someone to validate your choice of the 7dII

Im sorry but you're not hesitating!

You're waiting for people to tell you to get a 7dII; the focus and burst rate of which are brilliant. If you wanted a 2nd camera to the 5dIII for sports or wildlife, it'd be perfect. But the low light IQ isn't close to the 6d, which you know is the better option. But you want a 7dII so you're hoping someone will tell you to do it.

Buy what the f*** you like, the Internet is awash with comparisons, you know what the 7dIIs weaknesses are, and you know that makes it unsuitable for weddings if you have any desire to shoot in low light. You just want someone to validate your choice of the 7dII
Believe it or not but I'm hesitating. After reading that article from the link I posted earlier I was leaning towards 7d2. But I think you guys might be right that 6d will be a better option at the moment (and cheaper), and this was my initial plan before 7d2 was released. I will probably get 6d but I don't know if I will still be able to focus and recompose after using 5d3 for so long. Time will tell I guess.

Believe it or not but I'm hesitating. After reading that article from the link I posted earlier I was leaning towards 7d2. But I think you guys might be right that 6d will be a better option at the moment (and cheaper), and this was my initial plan before 7d2 was released. I will probably get 6d but I don't know if I will still be able to focus and recompose after using 5d3 for so long. Time will tell I guess.
After looking at the noise at 1600 and 3200 in the pictures from that article, I was sold on the 6D :)

Of course you can focus and recompose, it's a piece of p1ss with the 6d, or any camera for that matter!

Of course you can focus and recompose, it's a piece of p1ss with the 6d, or any camera for that matter!
And was how all wedding togs worked for years when the 5d and 5dmkii dominated the market it is only recently that it has become impossible to get good shots using this method and that 100 super sensitive af points has become the bare minimum it is possible to shoot a wedding with.

The same could be said for dual card slots and a few other things that 'you can't shoot a wedding without'

Last edited:
Back