Nick
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Right been doing a little research.

So far

Canon SX730

Panasonic TZ70

Sony HX60

This is what I think I’ve got it down to.

Any help muchly appreciate.

2. Scirocco_09

Scirocco_09

Edit My Images:
    No
    Personally I don't know much about these cameras but I suspect they'll all have drawbacks due to being fixed lens superzooms, also with small sensor sizes. What phone do you have? I have an iPhone 8 and have been blown away by image quality - recently I was in Norfolk and decided to shoot a few side by side comparisons with my DSLR gear (Nikon D750, 16-35mm f4/24-70mm f2.8), and the results were actually great. It could be that you already have the answer in your pocket

3. LojikDub

LojikDub

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    What do you want to achieve with your camera (post to Facebook/make prints/record high quality video)? What is your budget? Are there any limitations or constraints you have (size, weight)?

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  4. Jelster

Jelster

Name:
    Steve
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
  5. jonbeeza

jonbeeza

Name:
    john
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I personally would not bother with any of those cameras, as they have tiny 1/2.3 sensors so Image quality will be poor. I would look for something with a bigger sensor.

6. NJG

NJG

Name:
    Nick
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Like what jonbeeza?

7. jonbeeza

jonbeeza

Name:
    john
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    If you are looking at compacts, probably 2/3" sensors at a minimum. But for good quality I would go for a camera with a 1 inch sensor, and above.

Read the specifications on the cameras you are interested in, some sites you can search cameras by specifications.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  8. woof woof

woof woof

Name:
    Alan
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Panny TZ100 or the newer TZ200?

I've had several compacts but I've now decided that a 1" compact is probably the smallest sensor that justifies using a camera over a phone. I have the TZ100 and although pixel peeping at 100% may prove disappointing it's much better than any small sensor compact I've used and the files are pretty malleable. The lens is a bit soft but fine for whole picture viewing.

9. ancient_mariner

ancient_mariner

Name:
    Toni
    Edit My Images:
    No
    To offer helpful advice we need to know a little more: what kind of pictures you want to take and what you will do with them once you're home.

If you just want some holiday snaps as a reminder of a good time away, posting some to facebook, then most modern zoom compacts or even a phone camera would be adequate, if not great. If you want to try to create some better images that you might even want to print & hang on the wall, or you're going somewhere exotic that will need something with a longer telephoto/wider wideangle then that will make a difference.

10. SarahLee

SarahLee They see me rollin' They hatin' Staff Member

Name:
    Sarah
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Closing thread since discussion is now being continued OVER HERE

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.