Which camera should I recommend ?

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
Yes
My friend has always used her Tablet for photography - however now the bug has bitten she wants to have a stand alone camera.

Weighing up her requirements and so on, my initial thoughts were for her to have some form of bridge camera initially, as she is still very much a learner and wouldnt want to invest in lenses.

Photographic processing - at this stage other than basic things like auto adjust and cropping I cannot see her being interested in the realms of processing RAW and so on.

She likes taking landscape, photos of the grandchildren, gardens and close up of insects and plants.

Budget probably a maximum of £200.

Having read a lot on the internet, I'm at a total loss as to what to suggest to her - any recommendations and so on would be great for her to consider

For someone undemanding, and not likely to indulge in pixel peeping and discussions around sensor size, high ISO capability and other such things that we photographers hold dear, I'd suggest a decent compact or bridge camera.

Last time I bought a compact, I just set a budget, went to Dixons and bought the one that looked the nicest.

Second-hand 550D or similar. Will provide decent pictures in full auto mode, and has "scene" modes. Easily doable for under £200 on the Bay of Fleas.

Dunno about you lot, but I find DSLRs much easier to use than compact/bridge cameras.

If she can stretch to £300 I can sell her an x100 with original Fuji leather case and a bonus is I live in Ilfracombe too

As an update, she had a look at a few types of camera and handled examples. One thing identified was that she is left eye dominant, and found using a viewfinder difficult.

Liked the sturdiness of dslr / bridge as opposed to the smaller cameras, so at least we have narrowed things down to a Bridge type camera

Can't comment on those specific models, but for most people who aren't as keen as those of us on this forum, either one will be more than enough camera. As per the usual suggestion, she should really go and pick one up in a shop to see if she likes it and is ok with size and weight, etc. certainly the reviews online seem to be favourable.

Back