Beginner which camera the best for video recording plus what equipment to support video streaming

Name
Marta
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

I am absolutely beginner in photography and I am looking for lots of advice as I need to take some pictures and video recording for my start up business. After some research on line I think I need to start from what is the best entry level camera for taking a video tutorials stream them in to laptop and record?

so what I want to achieve?

one of my main use for camera will be taking video tutorials from overhead possession. Camera will need to be fixed 40 - 50 cm over the table. I will be filming tutorial how to do something so both my hand will be busy, but I need to be able to see what is recorded on the screen (laptop or any another pc screen) in from of me. I know that I will need to use some black magic box or any equivalent of that. Do you know what exactly I need to achieve it and which camera is the best? I would like be able to extract some frames from video to use in paper tutorials - so I assume quality of recording matter.

For what else I will be using my camera?

I need use it to take a pictures of my product , for my shop . product will not be bigger than 40 cm in any dimension. But most of my product I want to take on white background.

What problem I faced wright now.
I am using camcorder or my smart phone and non of these solution work. If I am able to get some nice video recording I have some moving straps which are effect of lighting and recording frequencies. When I manage to remove the straps video recording loos quality and focusing is a problem.

For any help I will be very greatfull
regardss
Marta

Before anything else what is you budget going to be? below list around £3,000 new

Nikon D810 new still obtainable @ £1700
Nikon Nikon AF-S 105mm f2.8G ED-IF VR Micro Lens £750
CF memory card Sandisk 32GB £40
Tripod below £130
tripod head as below £120
remote trigger release say £20 upwards
light as below around £25 plus batteries each
Adobe editing suites together £130

To give some idea if your going to do the job properly

you may need a tripod for overhead shots . I use a Manfrotto 055XPROB with aManfrotto 322RC2 head as shown, a good heavy tripod where the arm can be extended sidways. A lighter tripod may not take the extended weight

FAAL3HC.jpg

Then you may need a remote shutter trigger release to stop camera shake. Would suggest also a fairly easy to use Video editing suite such as Adobe Premier 2020 which if I can use so can anyone else. and Adobe Elements2020 for stills

I like the Nikon D810 camera which does take good videos together with a Sennheiser MKE400 michrophone for better sound quality.

Lighting wise 2 or3 of these CN-160 Variable power LED lights with filters. sort out yourself as to height

bcC7a1t.jpg

Also I would shoot in RAW to a memory card. then from there onto monitor make a copy, never ever work on the original, then onto editing

Don't go getting cheap (photography set up can be expensive) remember if for a business you can claim for expenses with the inland revenue. Also a good idea to take out third party insurance against any claims that may be made against you.

others will have different ideas , you will have to decide no one can do it for you

Last edited:
Hi
thank you for your advice, let start from the budget , I do not have one but what ever fit my requirement I am prepared to pay. I do not need super camera I need camera to do the job. Fancy camera I will buy another time.

so the most important at this moment is find out optimum solution to have camera which can handle the job and find out how to hook it to my laptop for viewing during filming . I am using Mac so I think it may be additional challenge.

I have everything else pro premier , lights , background .

Lenses are as important as the camera - a good lens can and will in the right hands produce a good image - And good images sell product's

When you come to streaming, I HIGHLY recommend OBS. Open Broadcast System.

It's sort of like a video production desk that allows you to define layouts with different picture in picture, text, image overlay and you can import that IDs as a webcam or network camera to display. Then you can switch between layouts at the touch of a button. Some streamers use little button boxes to switch camera/layout live!

Will automatically connect to YouTube, Facebook, Twitch and others or it will save recordings to local disk. It can consume feeds from YouTube/Twitch so you can overlay the live chat on stream etc.

It obviously has overhead, so a decent multi-core processor is a must.

EDIT: Note "Virtual Camera" is a cool feature that makes OBS's output appear as a standard Webcam to Zoom or Teams et. al.

Last edited:
Here’s what I did for overhead videos. I bought a microphone arm stand, a tripod ball head, and a clamp for my iPhone. The ball head connects the iPhone clamp to the stand and you can position it to any angle you want and see what you are recording on the phone. I just use window light for lighting. Total cost was about £50 - I’m only doing stuff for my blog etc, so this setup is more than enough. Here’s an example
View: https://youtu.be/h6yXQihqdNY

Back