Which camera to get ?

Name
Jason
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello all,

I am at this point in time looking at getting a new camera, i am currently using sony D-SLRS. I am changing to canon because i am not jumping for joy on the next models up for sony so going to canon.

I am been looking at the Canon 7d also the Canon 5d mkII but getting mixed messages about the 2 and also herd rumours of a Canon 5d mkIII would it be worth waiting for this to released ?

So has anyone got any hands on experience of these 2 cameras ? or recomend a diffrent one ? also any pictures to show the quality of the 2 ?

Any help would be greatfully recieved

Thank you

IF you shoot action, sports or wildlife 7D
If you shoot people, weddings or landscapes 5D2

5D3 will come, no announcement has been made. No specs released.

Hi Andrewc,

I want it for sports/wildlife but also i do portraits(in studio also location outside) and weddings even *** i am trying to fase doing weddings out now. Thats why i am undecided between the 2 would the 7d be good at doing portraits as well ?

Thanks for your help

The two cameras cater for two different markets. I think you may have to decide which of your interests you do most of and buy the camera for that and accept the fact it won't be optimum for the other interests.

Both cameras are good and and will do all the jobs you want.

The other aspect to bear in mind that hasn't been mentioned is the glass you will screw on the front; both cameras perform best with a quality lens and that will be as important as the difference between the two cameras. The two cameras you mention are capable of out-resolving cheaper lenses and that will show.

Hi Seltechpc,

Thank you for your coment has me wondering even more know, is there a canon of this level but that can be used for all areas at around the same price ?

The lenses i am looking at for the camera i decide on is possibly the 28-125 (i think it is) f4 L lens and the sigma 70-200 f2.8 hsm II. I am guessing the kit lens available with either camera 7d or 5d are at a good quality to get the top proformance from the camera.

Thank you again

How about a used 1D mark III. Great for action, and it handles high ISO really well so landscapes should be good out of this cam (y)

Jason,

I think Phillip's suggestion is a good one if you do not mind buying S/H. MPB who advertise on here have some good prices and are very fair.

I am not personally familiar with the lenses you mention but I am sure someone on here can advise or other reviews.

The 1DMkIII is a good camera and being a 1.3x crop factor lies in between the two sensor sizes of the cameras you mention. It is a heavy camera but the ergonomics are superb. If you are able to I would suggest you try them all to see how they feel in your hand. The 1D3 will feel the same as a 1Ds3 or 1D4 as they use the same body and are current cameras so it should not be to hard to find one in a decent camera shop.

I hope this helps and good luck in your quest.

The 1.3 crop of a 1D would give a good compromise for you going between portraits and sports/wildlife, bigger sensor for IQ on stills and still some crop advantage for zoom on the other stuff! And of course it was the DADDY camera until a short while ago!

Hello all,

I am at this point in time looking at getting a new camera, i am currently using sony D-SLRS. I am changing to canon because i am not jumping for joy on the next models up for sony so going to canon.

Just out of interest, what's the problem for you with the A900? (or the A700, for that matter)

HI,

Thanks for recomending the 1d i am going to a camera shop next week that has a good range of the canon cameras. I have phoned them and they said no problem with coming in and trying out all of them if i wish and hopefully after feeling them and how they sit in my hand etc and hopefully this will be a big help.

Thank you to the people recomending the 1d

HI,

Thanks for recomending the 1d i am going to a camera shop next week that has a good range of the canon cameras. I have phoned them and they said no problem with coming in and trying out all of them if i wish and hopefully after feeling them and how they sit in my hand etc and hopefully this will be a big help.

Thank you to the people recomending the 1d

No prob Jason. I have two 1D mark III's and I love them (y)

Just out of interest, what's the problem for you with the A900? (or the A700, for that matter)

I had a A700 untill i dropped it off a bridge and you can guess the outcome. due to the disontinued line of the a700 it proves hard to find one new i am not a big fan of buying second hand really as in past i have brought second hand and it didnt end nicley.

I have played with the A900 and A850 but i dont know why just didnt like them big put off was the small lcd window on the top compared to others out there plus the shutter speads are not to good 3 and 5 this might be due to them being fullframed. I just feel that sony is still behind on a phew things and also i am limited to lenses and also wirless transmitting for studio lighting.

I have played with the A900 and A850 but i dont know why just didnt like them big put off was the small lcd window on the top compared to others out there plus the shutter speads are not to good 3 and 5 this might be due to them being fullframed.

It is not full frame that's the problem, at least not directly. It is the 24mp on the FF sensor. Nikon also do a 5fps camera with this sensor as well, the D3x. It's a little more expensive than the A900. By about £3000.

But as you say you are limited in lenses, there is no 400/2.8 or 200/2 in the Sony range

It is not full frame that's the problem, at least not directly. It is the 24mp on the FF sensor. Nikon also do a 5fps camera with this sensor as well, the D3x. It's a little more expensive than the A900. By about £3000.

But as you say you are limited in lenses, there is no 400/2.8 or 200/2 in the Sony range

I have not quiet got that sort of money to spend on a camera at moment even *** would be nice, im thinking along the lines of keeping my Sony a350 and if i find one to replace my old a700 for portrait and studio work.

Then buy a canon 7d or 5d or the 1d when i diside for sport line of work as i feel i am going to do more of that in future and dropping doing weddings (as there just to much hassle to do)

But thanks again for all your advice and help

IF you shoot action, sports or wildlife 7D
If you shoot people, weddings or landscapes 5D2

5D3 will come, no announcement has been made. No specs released.

Since the 5D mkII is basically a cut down IDS mkIII it follows that the 5D mkIII is going to be a cut down 1DS mkIV. The 1DS mkIV has yet to be announced so I doubt that we will see the 5D mkIII for at least another nine months.

Why not a 5D classic and a 7D? Get the best of both worlds for not much more than a new 5D .... Or a 1d mk4 if you can stretch to it

Why not a 5D classic and a 7D? Get the best of both worlds for not much more than a new 5D .... Or a 1d mk4 if you can stretch to it

Well i am doing a move over to Canon from sony so the plan of action i am doing is buying the 7d with 2 lenses to use for sport etc and keep my sony for portraits etc till i get the money together to buy another canon or 2 then get rid of my sony's once built up the glass collection for canon.

There are some far better Nikon models than the D60 & D90 you know... ;)

Well yes i know this, i am going to a big camera shop next week and be trying out all cannons range also trying the nikon d3 as i have been reading up on that know so i am completly confused untill i have them in my hands

Back