Which camera

Edit My Images
No
Hi

I had a Pentax kr which has failed on me and through the extra warranty I got £529 back from them so I'm looking at cameras to buy.

At the moment I'm looking at compact system cameras, which is what I prefer now than bigger style dslr but with but I'm also looking at canon g15 which s a high end p+s if I'm correct.

I'm confused on which system I should look at, I'm looking at the Nikon j/v1's system, the canon eos m system, Olympus e-pen, Panasonic gh1, g3 or fuji x series,

I will be mainly be shooting landscapes, family events and food, so close up pictures.

If possible not spending more than £300 - 450 max out of my budget.

Last edited:
The olympus pen and panasonic g series both have the same lens mount which is micro 4/3, offering a very good lens back up system.
The nikon j series and canon eos m are still very short on lenses, though they both will accept slr lenses via an adapter, which is an extra cost to the cameras.
All the standard zooms will give a reasonable close focus, if you want to go for really small details, then a macro lens would be in order.
For about £450, that would get you a Panasonic G5 with 14-42 and you can currently claim a free 45-150 lens from panasonic, giving you a good wide zoom range. Don't forget this mount has a 2x crop factor so your lens is effectively a 28-84 and a 90-300 respectively in 35mm terms.

Take a look at camerapricebuster which is a good resource for prices. Do have a good look through the cameras at a local shop though to get a good idea of how these feel in your hands.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the advice.

I've been looking at Nikon and using hotshoe (is that right?) for the flash, and the sensor is smaller compared to the Panasonic series ? I've looking at Canon M series too. I've been looking at the G3, GF5 or GX1, I've completely taken out the Olympus e pen series, and the Fuji X series out of the equation now as I don't have enough money for those cameras.

The reason why I've been looking at the Canon M series is that my brother girlfriend has a Canon 550D and I could borrow her lens and my brother has the Nikon D3100 so I'm confused where to look at the moment.

Any particular reason that you are also not looking at Sony NEX?
Nikon's V1 can be found cheaply these days. It has a relatively small sensor (2.7x crop) but probably the best AF of any current CSC for moving subjects.
Whilst existing Canon lenses can be used on the M series with an adapter AF performance may not be great unless they are STM.
I would say refine your needs ( e.g. do you need/want a viewfinder?) & then go to a shop & handle a few.

I don't know why I haven't considered Sony NEX. It just didn't occur to me. I'll get researching on that now.

I don't know if I want a viewfinder or not. I would prefer a CSC with a viewfinder, but I can only find CSC with viewfinder on the higher ends of the camera.

I've looked at the Panasonic G3 (albeit a youtube video) and noticed that they were struggling to hold the camera.

I am just looking at which camera I should look at within my price range before going to a shop and holding them all and testing it all out, otherwise I'm worried that I'll get distracted by some sales assistance trying to get the most expensive camera out of me.

I narrowed it down now to fromall the camera in my proce range including the sony, Canon G15 to now definiately sure that I want the Panasonic G5, and Olympus E PM2 so ill be going to the shops on Sunday to test it out and either wait for the price to drop or to buy it now with the extra len promotion.

There is an EPM2 (BNIB) in the classifieds for £300 - personally I am not a fan of the Olympus ergonomics, but that is different for everyone. I also like a viewfinder, so the G5 is a good choice for your budget or the bargain priced G3 which will give you almost identical pictures. (I have a G3 and don't find the grip a problem although it's nowhere near as good ergonomically as a dslr - but have not tried the G5 which is supposed to be a lot better).

I've noticed the Olympus E-PL2+14-42mm second hand at my local branch of London camera exchange for £150

Do you think this camera will cover my needs and more? I will be using the camera to take pictures at family events and food mainly with the occasional landscape photos. From my understanding its two year old with flash. I can use a hotshoe to use an external viewfinder if I wish. I understand its not as good as the Panasonic G5 or the Olympus EPM-2. But I also understand that it's double the price. I'm not too bother about the fact it's 12.2mp as long as I can take non grainy / noisy pictures is fine at the moment.

I've decided on the olympus EPL5. My parents actually fallen in love with it and love the simplicity of the camera ( tap the screen to take pictures ) whereas it will allow me to improve.

I'm now keeping my eye on the price and hopefully it'll drop, if by 19/9 the promotion with the pancakes lens ends and the price does not drop I may buy it then.

Back