Which Canon 35mm - SH 35 f1.4L or new Sigma 35 f1.4 Art?

Which 35 lens for Canon 6D?

• Canon EF35mm f1.4 L USM - Second Hand

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art

Votes: 4 66.7%

• Total voters
I may be biased because I'm selling one, but the canon 35 is very good indeed!

The Sigma is an amazing lens. I have never seen such sharpness in a lens before and the contrast and bokeh it produces is awesome.

Thanks for the replies so far. Not sure what to do! Like the L brand and but that said my 70-200 Sigma is my favourite zoom so definitely nothing against them either.

Stevie

You buy the best tool you can afford, not a flashy brand name or a red band. In fact sigma have significantly stepped up their game since the likes of 70-200 (where I would point towards Canon), etc.

THe sigma is the better lens in image quality but focus with outer focus points is often hit and miss, if you NEED reliable quick focus then the canon.

You buy the best tool you can afford, not a flashy brand name or a red band. In fact sigma have significantly stepped up their game since the likes of 70-200 (where I would point towards Canon), etc.

I wouldn't buy purely for the brand name and in fact when I got the 70-200 got a f2.8 for the price of the Canon 70-200 f4 and I certainly wouldn't want to change it in a hurry unless something exceptional came up. I'd actually like to compliment it with a 120-300 f2.8 as I've the 1.4x and it would work with both. In this lens it's the image quality I'm after.

Stevie

I was in a similar predicament as you are, a choice between the Sigma or the Canon L. I even considered the Canon f2 as a more reasonable lens.

I decided that the f2 was out of the question, I would always be wishing I had waited and gone for the f1.4. I am a firm believer that if your going to do something, do it right. So it was a 1.4 I was after. Then next thing for me was to try the lenses out. A quick stop at a LCE store and I could try the Canon and the Sigma.

I tried the Sigma first, weight was good, construction good and the image quality was good. From that point of view couldn't fault it. But when I tried the Canon, it just felt right. I cant explain it.

I then managed to pick up a second hand Canon L for a very reasonable price when in New York. So I think I got the best of both worlds.

My advice is to try out the lenses ans see what you think. Sometimes you have to go with your "gut" feeling on a lens. I'm so happy I did.

I was recently in the same position and opted for the sigma after watching a few video reviews from various sources. The sigma is far sharper wide open with better contrast and no where near the amount of chromatic aberration. The sigma lens is also mostly metal, making it far better built than the canon equivalent. Smart money is with the sigma this time.

Well I eventually made my mind up and went for the Sigma. Got it yesterday and will post my first photographs up when I get back to the computer but it is extremely sharp at 1.4 (to be honest I haven't tried the other apertures!). Feels fantastic to hold and use. Knocks socks of the Canon 50mm f1.4 for feel, sharpness although it is heavy and over twice the price. No regrets so far.

Thanks

Stevie

Congrats...i am still undecided...do u go to the 1:1 ratio to see the sharpness or it is otherwise also visible when viewing at fully zoomed out? thx

This was one of the first images of my son doing homework. Not exciting and both have been through LR but I reckon it seems sharp both zoomed and at 1:1.

And this was using the very far right focus point on his juice bottle which was around the minimum focus distance away and you can hardly see Ethan sitting at the island just 2-3 feet to the left of the frame.

Thanks

Stevie

Last edited:
Biased...but ive got the 35L and it's turned into my everything lens.

Fast AF, awesome IQ/sharpness.

Ok it does vignette and the bokeh isnt as 'creamy' the Sigma Art...

But I choose the Canon (despite it being more expensive) as I felt its well established and known as a solid reliable lens.

P.s. 6D user...

Last edited:
Back