Beginner Which Canon camera for a beginner.

Edit My Images
Yes
Sorry to ask same questions over. Was added by a friend as she wants to buy her 20 something son camera around 400 for Xmas. I don' know anything about canon. I use a Nikon D7200 but don' know much technically to advise anyway. Many thanks.

Almost any Canon will do him to start with.

I'd recommend buying a second hand one on here - i buy virtually all my photo gear on here and have never been disappointed.

And a couple of decent lenses would be a good start.

The 50mm f1.8 is a cracking lens for a beginner - very sharp and good for indoor work as well.

I'd recommend buying a second hand one on here - i buy virtually all my photo gear on here and have never been disappointed.

The 50mm f1.8 is a cracking lens for a beginner - very sharp and good for indoor work as well.

:agree:

However, If it's definitely a Canon you're after, then as much as I hate to admit it (being a Canon shooter myself), the new entry level Canon cameras (the 4000D and the 2000D) are not terrifically good - very cheap, plasticky and low on features. As above, you'll get way much more for your money if you buy a decent, low shutter count, higher range model, where ever you buy from.
Also worth bearing in mind is that the new entry level Canons are not compatible with third party flashes - if you ever wanted to use an external flash/speedlight with these, then you'd have to buy a Canon brand....and they can be pricey!!

Here's an example from WexPhotoVideo....just for your information:

https://www.wexphotovideo.com/canon-eos-60d-digital-slr-camera-body-used-1682857/ - £297 (condition 9- / shutter count 11,500)

The Canon 60D is a very decent all-rounder, well built, with a good set of features.

With the change, you could get a new 50mm f1.8 - as Peter says, it's a great, versatile standard prime - the newer STM (Wex link) versions could be had for around £120 these days....maybe less if you shop around.

Good luck :)

Last edited:
Also worth bearing in mind is that the new entry level Canons are not compatible with third party flashes - if you ever wanted to use an external flash/speedlight with these, then you'd have to buy a Canon brand....and they can be pricey!!

Ouch! Canon Speedlights are gonna cost almost as much as the camera. That's a bit naughty

Is there a source for this?

It’s the first I’ve ever heard, i can see no reason this would be the case.

Last edited:
Is there a source for this?

It’s the first I’ve ever heard, i can see no reason this would be the case.

Here's the section from the Wex website listing for the Canon 4000D....the 2000D is the same.

Please note: this model has limited compatibility with third party flashes and cannot be used with infra-red or radio triggers for flash photography, due to the lack of centre X-Sync pin contact on the hotshoe. Only Canon eTTL external hotshoe-mount flashes can be used.

Granted, it doesn't say you can't use third party flashes in manual, but for a beginner TTL is very handy.

Link to the page at Wex:

https://www.wexphotovideo.com/canon-eos-4000d-digital-slr-camera-body-1655054/

Here's the section from the Wex website listing for the Canon 4000D....the 2000D is the same.

Granted, it doesn't say you can't use third party flashes in manual, but for a beginner TTL is very handy.

Link to the page at Wex:

https://www.wexphotovideo.com/canon-eos-4000d-digital-slr-camera-body-1655054/
That’s a bold statement but ‘lack of Centre pin support’ means it’s no use for old fashioned centre pin only flash systems.

How do they work in practice with flash systems designed for ETTL II? Given that is the Canon standard, and what all modern 3rd party systems are built to.

Edit to add...
Don’t get me wrong, I hate ‘beginner cameras’ as they’re actually not ‘helpful’ to a beginner, they’re just marketed to appeal to people who will then be sucked into an upgrade.

An older better S/h camera makes much more sense on every practical level. But I understand some people prefer to buy new.

Last edited:
That’s a bold statement but ‘lack of Centre pin support’ means it’s no use for old fashioned centre pin only flash systems.

You mean Wex's statement? Indeed....that last line is somewhat misleading especially.

How do they work in practice with flash systems designed for ETTL II? Given that is the Canon standard, and what all modern 3rd party systems are built to.

I must concede that I have reached the limit of my technical knowledge of TTL flashes (I'm currently forcing myself to learn using manual flashes!:D).
As a moderate beginner myself, who has bought several third party flashes, all I wanted to say was that the Wex statement would definitely put me off buying that camera.
(Of course there are many reasons why one shouldn't buy that camera!)

Unfortunately I have no experience with that particular camera (other than reading reviews)....but my second camera (about 8ish years ago) was the 1000D, and I would class it as a better camera than the new Canon 'beginner' offerings - althoug I didn't have any flashes back then.
So forgive me Phil, my knowledge is sadly lacking:(

Edit to add...
Don’t get me wrong, I hate ‘beginner cameras’ as they’re actually not ‘helpful’ to a beginner, they’re just marketed to appeal to people who will then be sucked into an upgrade.

An older better S/h camera makes much more sense on every practical level. But I understand some people prefer to buy new.

I completely agree :agree:

Last edited:

The 50mm f1.8 is a cracking lens for a beginner - very sharp and good for indoor work as well
NO NO NO
The 50mm equals a short(80mm) tele on canon apsc. Absolutely not and everyday one lens solution. For a beginner a 24-35mm is more suitable.
And why specifically Canon? If you think good primes Nikon has a number of good f/1,8 ones in the 20-85 mm Range.

Last edited by a moderator:
:agree:

However, If it's definitely a Canon you're after, then as much as I hate to admit it (being a Canon shooter myself), the new entry level Canon cameras (the 4000D and the 2000D) are not terrifically good - very cheap, plasticky and low on features. As above, you'll get way much more for your money if you buy a decent, low shutter count, higher range model, where ever you buy from.

Here's an example from WexPhotoVideo....just for your information:

https://www.wexphotovideo.com/canon-eos-60d-digital-slr-camera-body-used-1682857/ - £297 (condition 9- / shutter count 11,500)

The Canon 60D is a very decent all-rounder, well built, with a good set of features.

With the change, you could get a new 50mm f1.8 - as Peter says, it's a great, versatile standard prime - the newer STM (Wex link) versions could be had for around £120 these days....maybe less if you shop around.

Good luck :)
Not true
E.g. Godox is compatible with ETTL-II
http://www.godox.com/EN/Products_Camera_Flash_TT685C.html

NO NO NO
The 50mm equals a short(80mm) tele on canon apsc. Absolutely not and everyday one lens solution. For a beginner a 24-35mm is more suitable.
And why specifically Canon? If you think good primes Nikon has a number of good f/1,8 ones in the 20-85 mm Range.

Because for sharpness and value the 50mm f1.8 has absolutely no equal - totally sharp from f2.8 - easily equivalent to L glass.

And a great walkaround lens is, IMO, the 28-135mm IS USM.

Because for sharpness and value the 50mm f1.8 has absolutely no equal - totally sharp from f2.8 - easily equivalent to L glass.

And a great walkaround lens is, IMO, the 28-135mm IS USM.
Sorry but positive as all that is it wont make up for the narrow FOV which is great for portraits but requires a lot of distance/large rooms if you want more in the frame.
Seems you like longer focallengths than average.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry but positive as all that is it wont make up for the narrow FOV which is great for portraits but requires a lot of distance/large rooms if you want more in the frame.
Seems you like longer focallengths than average.

Not at all - I just use the lenses and cameras which give me the results I want - and software which does the same.

If wanting to buy new, for £ 400 you could get a Canon 2000D with 18-55 lens kit for £ 419 from Wex. However, until 3rd December Canon are running a double cash back deal so rather than £ 50 cash back 6 weeks later, it becomes £ 100, making it £ 319.

I usually suggest then thinking about acquiring a longer lens as a companion - a Sigma 70-300 or Canon 55-250IS, which can be picked up secondhand quite cheaply if not wanting to buy new.

If buying secondhand, that opens more doors, but you may have to mix and match to get the package you want - body, lenses etc.,

Back