Which Canon DSLR would you recommend..?

Edit My Images
Yes
Looking to get my first camera to get into photography, since im new to all this i dont want to spend a lot. So far i have decided that someting from Canon range is what i want.

Which option would best suit a beginner....either 20d or 400d with good lens or new 450d with standard 18-55mm lens?

If im being honest i want to know what you think about the 1st option.

Also i have searched number of topics and gone through them, but haven't been to the shop yet since i believe the 20d and 400d are discontinued.

The leap between the 400D and the 450D isn't big enough in my opinion to upgrade from a 400 to a 450D. However if you're starting new then I'd recommend going for the 450D. There's no such thing as a future proof camera. But since you want to invest in lens then I guess a 400D and a good lens is a wise idea especially if you see yourself upgrading your body in the future.

to be honest i would go for the 400 or 450d the technology has moved on loads since the 20d so you will get a bigger screen etc

I had a 400d and didnt see the point of changing to the 450, so i jumped to a 50d and dont regret it. The 400d is a good camera though and although ive never used a 450 i think the reviews speak for themselves.

The 400D and the 450D, as said, are very similar. Whilst the 400D is a very easy to use, nice camera, the 450D feels a bit nicer in the hands, and feels more 'up to date' so to speak.

As said, the 20D is getting old now, the 30D and the 40D have both passed, and the 50D is out.

If you dont want to spend a lot, but want a lot of camera for your money, i'd go for the 450D personally. You wont regret it.

the insurance people replaced my 400d with a 450d and the 450 is better (not enough to upgrade), it has better iso response and a few little things that re really useful, only thing that annoys me is sd cards - grrrrr if i want to use it as a second body to a 40 or 50 d (my mid term plan) i would have to carry two different sets which is just silly

only thing that annoys me is sd cards - grrrrr if i want to use it as a second body to a 40 or 50 d (my mid term plan) i would have to carry two different sets which is just silly

That was another reason why i didnt want the 450, why have one dslr that takes sd?

I had'nt realised that about the sd cards, that does sound silly.

Notwithstanding I still recommend the 450D also. There are some good bundles with a couple of lenses at reasonable prices. So it's worth shopping around for them. I would think there may be a few second hand ones on the market too.

400D is a sound idea, you'll pick one up 2nd hand for not too much leaving some for a nice lens. I've recently upgraded to a 40D and I love it, but the 400D is perfect for starting out.

I recently purchased a refurbed 400d with kit lens from the canon outlet on E-bay. No complaints so far, and it comes with a 1 year warrantly.

I managed to get it for £257 quid. They also sell refurbed 450D'd but they were slightly out of my budget

Thanks for the input, it seems that the 450 is the one to go for.

Just out of interest, what sort of photography are you thinking of doing most.
I only ask because in my own experience the 20D is better than the 400 series cameras when it comes to autofocus, so this may have a difference if you liked motosport etc.
Dean:)

Just out of interest, what sort of photography are you thinking of doing most.
I only ask because in my own experience the 20D is better than the 400 series cameras when it comes to autofocus, so this may have a difference if you liked motosport etc.

Yeah i plan to shoot motorsport, extreme sports and just general photography.

The 450d is gonna set me back about £460-£480, where as 400d would be about £280. I still got couple of weeks to decide which one to go for.

Yeah i plan to shoot motorsport, extreme sports and just general photography.

The 450d is gonna set me back about £460-£480, where as 400d would be about £280. I still got couple of weeks to decide which one to go for.

If the 450D is going to cost that much, id go for a 40D. I know good glass is essential as this is the most crucial for quality, but for fast moving things you need that fast autofocus the xx series cameras can offer over the xxx series.

I would go 20d all day long if sports is your thing the handling of the 350-400-450d is nothing like the 20d:D

to be honest i would go for the 400 or 450d the technology has moved on loads since the 20d so you will get a bigger screen etc

Just lol.

The ISO handling on my 20D urinates all over any equivalent shots I've seen with a 400D/450D. I'm also not a fan of plastic bodies.

And I'm not sure about any other DSLR owner, but I only use my screen for browsing menu's and that's not often so size will make no difference. It's usable which is the main thing.

For sports and especially motorsports a 20D and better glass will be much better than a 450D and kit lens. Yes the body is older technology, but the lens is much more important.

For the amount you are looking at spending on the 450d i`d surgest looking at the 30 or 40d, especially if you are looking at motorsport.

I would go for the 450d. This was going to be my choice when it was time to purchase a camera but i did go for a 40d mainly because i could afford to and i wanted 'a camera for life'. I'm pleased i did but it is a heavier camera and i'm sure a 450d will have all you need.

Is your decision to buy Canon based on just info or have you actually gone and handled the bodies?

If not do consider looking and handlingthe others just to ensure you are buying what feels best.

Erm, Whats wrong with a 30d? Is better then the 20d and would fit the needs of the op perfectly in my opinion.

Get a 30d if the 40d is out of your price range

Back