Which Canon L Lens?

Why did you think it was better (especially as your test shots were less than ideal :) )? I've not used one but I think they're pretty much as good as each other. Does the Tamron now incorporate their version of the dock (I heard this is why Tamron rushed out the G2)? If not, the Sigma has a big advantage there.
I found the Tamron to be sharper. I had both one after the other, same settings on my 70D. I know that's not scientific, but today I've seen very few reviews of the Tamron against either Sigma.
I'm also in the dilemma of what to buy. I have an old Cannon 300mmL non is which is great quality even with a 1.4 tc but it still hasn't the reach, and handheld, not stabilised keeps my success rate down.

Also decided I am going for the Sigma 150-600mm F/5.0-6.3 DG OS HSM Sports Lens, just got to find one at the right price now :)

Also decided I am going for the Sigma 150-600mm F/5.0-6.3 DG OS HSM Sports Lens, just got to find one at the right price now :)
There aren't many discounts to be had through the official retailers (make sure you go through an official Sigma retailer or you wont get the free 3 year warranty!). Amazon direct and Jessops are about £1300 and this seems to be the going rate. Even HK prices are about the same.

Good choices, I'm sure you will enjoy them. Perhaps time to start looking at tripods/monopods. The 7Dii is a sophisticated camera with lots of options, I would recommend reading up about the AF system and also looking at the 7Dii thread on this forum.

Thanks folks. If this rain keeps up I'll plenty of reading time.

I got the dock at the same time at Xmas as it appeared to be a definite requirement but I haven't taken it out of the box yet as the pictures look pin sharp lol.

I have ordered the dock and just bagged myself a new Canon 24-105 f4 L as a walk around lens. Was going to get the Mk II but after watching a few reviews it seems it's not worth the extra for my needs.

I have ordered the dock and just bagged myself a new Canon 24-105 f4 L as a walk around lens. Was going to get the Mk II but after watching a few reviews it seems it's not worth the extra for my needs.
The 17-55 is a much better 'walk about ' for a Canon crop.

Too late lol. Got a bargain so I'm not too worried, could always sell it and get the 17-55 at a later date. Thanks, Phil.

Too late lol. Got a bargain so I'm not too worried, could always sell it and get the 17-55 at a later date. Thanks, Phil.

Don't sell it; I've got one and its great (on a 6d). It hits the spot when you can only take one lens and you have to decide between really long and really wide!

I got the dock at the same time at Xmas as it appeared to be a definite requirement but I haven't taken it out of the box yet as the pictures look pin sharp lol.

Used my doc for only the second time yesterday and found out there was a firmware update. I also set the custom options for the first time. Whether these make any difference, time will tell.

Don't sell it; I've got one and its great (on a 6d). It hits the spot when you can only take one lens and you have to decide between really long and really wide!

Um, there's quite a difference between 24mm on a 6D and '24mm' on a 7DII.

Has anyone tried the new Tamron 150-600mm G2?
I had a quick play at an LCE event and found it slightly better than the Sigma C. Its a similar cost to the Sigma Sport version but same size & weight as the C.
My test shots were hand held in the car park so not ideal. I'm wondering if it justifies the higher cost over the C?

The reviews rate it as good as the Sigma Sport, but it is about 600 gm lighter. It's got to be a winner..........

On a 6d it's a very different lens in comparison to the 7dII

The 17-55 is a much better 'walk about ' for a Canon crop.

It all depends on what you like photographing - it is my widest lens as I sold my 17-50 through lack of use. I barely ever want to go wider and it spends most of its time at the longer end. It is certainly not a conventional walk-about lens on a crop, but my walk-about set-up is generally a 100-400 with 1.4x on, so it is more than wide enough for my needs and might well be for the OP's as well.

Not contradicting you, Phil, just pointing out that the OP ought to try it before deciding it is wrong for him. Some of us are just not conventional :-D

Last edited:
I was brought up using a 50mm as my only lens so 24 on a crop would suit me, rarely use 24 on my 5D when lugging my 24/70 around but it takes all sorts

Back