Beginner Which Canon lens should I buy?

Edit My Images
No
Dear Sirs/Madams,

Could you please advise me which Canon lens should I buy?

I need it for artworks reproduction (sometimes framed) so full frame sharpness is essential.

Any suggestions and opinions would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

i canna help, being a NIKON fan

but i guess an idea of budget would assist an answer

and which camera..?

What size of artworks, Gabriel? And in what sort of setup - hanging vertically on the wall, laying horizontally on a tabletop, or what?

Sizes are different: some 8 x 12 cm, some A4, A3 sizes, up to A1.
Setup - mainly hanging on the wall (or the board).
I'm pretty sure that Budget lens won't be the ideal choice so I'm ready to pay for the highest sharpness and quality. Just can't choose which one. 100mm f2.8l macro? 50mm?
Also I would like to take some images of various textures and portraits. But priority is artworks

Last edited:
The best Canon lenses - "best" meaning consistent optical performance across the whole frame - are probably the TS-E 24mm Mk II and the 400mm f/2.8 Mk II. But the latter probably wouldn't be very convenient for your specific application.

If I were in your position I would try to use the TS-E 24mm Mk II whenever it was convenient, and if/when I needed something longer I would probably reach for the 100mm IS Macro.

I believe Macro lenses are considered to have the best performance for copy work, but a TSE might be a huge help where you can't get central to the subject.

Canon 100mm 2.8 L IS Macro is the obvious choice, though focal length depends on size and distance. With copying, a bit of distance helps enormously with accurate framing, square to the subject, and avoiding any surface reflections, especially if glass is involved, so avoid short focal lengths.

You will also need a tripod and lights (preferably flash) and some knowledge of how to use them. If there are oil paintings, or other artwork with a shiny irregular surface, then you may need to use cross-polarising filters to control reflections (over the lights, and over the lens). High quality copying can be surprisingly technical. A tripod with a geared centre-column and a horizontal slide will save a lot of frustration. Don't forget a spirit level :)

Enormous thank you all!!!! You all made my day.
I ordered your recommended lens and polarising filter. Tripod and lights (continuous) I have.
Thank you once again!

Enormous thank you all!!!! You all made my day.
I ordered your recommended lens and polarising filter. Tripod and lights (continuous) I have.
Thank you once again!

You're welcome GB :)

A polarising filter just over the lens will be very little help, probably none at all (google Brewer's Angle). You also need polarising gels over the lights, note their orientation and rotate the camera filter accordingly to kill the reflection. Easy enough - google that too.

The advantage of flash is the power to overcome ambient light reflections - say a glass framed painting with a reflection of a window you can't eliminate. The power of the flash can be used to substantially under-expose the window reflection so it doesn't show, or is at least greatly reduced. Flash also has very good colour fidelity, if that's important. Include a colour reference with each shot (eg X-Rite Passport) that you can use in post processing for colour accuracy.

Last edited:
Back