which canon lens

Name
john
Edit My Images
Yes
Has anybody out there got experience of the canon 70-200mmf/2.8. I am in the market for one but cannot decide between the standard & the IS version (extra cost u no). I know the IS system works but I hear bad stories of it being poor on focusing, could be back focus or just user error!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Any & all advice welcome, but in a hurry, need it for shoot in next couple of weeks.
-has anybody out there got one for sale?

John:shrug:

I have 70-200 f/2.8 L IS
superb bit of kit
no problems with focus
and IS is just marvellous!

my advice - sell something/someone and buy the lens!

Thanks Mike, Out of curiosity,what body r u using . Sorry -( just read ur kit list) Looks like the wife is to go then!

John

My 70-200mm 2.8L IS works just fine on my 20D and my 1DMK2n. Tack sharp lens and very positive fast focusing.

Get the IS version if you can stretch to it - it's well worth it.

i also have 70-200 2.8Lis and i can say its brilliant, currently using canon 40d

(y)

I've had the f/4, f/2.8 and now the f/2.8 IS. I had an overlap each time to be able to compare them side by side and couldn't detect any sharpness differences in the same conditions.

I would put them in the order above as far as usefulness goes....with the proviso that size and weight isn't a deterrent for you.

Bob

publish pictures - you might get an offer!!! :nuts:
Photos' of for sale items are supposed to show how good the item looks!! wouldn't wish to frighten all you fine fellows out there. :bonk:

Thanks all for the response, probably yake a look at the IS version then.

John

Find myself agreeing with Canon Bob, although I haven't owned the non IS version.

Do you need the F2.8 or would the F4 IS version be worth looking at?

Find myself agreeing with Canon Bob, although I haven't owned the non IS version.

Do you need the F2.8 or would the F4 IS version be worth looking at?
I want the extra speed for a fashion shoot. (lucky SOAB aint I all the way to London just to snap dresses.
Thanks for the advice, I guess all the 70-200's are good because nobody's selling one.:wacky:
John

We have three versions of the 70-200L at LensesForHire; the f/4 IS, the f/2.8 non-IS and the f/2.8 IS. The two f/2.8 versions are much bigger and heavier than the f/4 version - to an extent which quite surprised me at first. Optically there's nothing to choose between them though - they are all superb and they all focus really quickly and accurately.

Depending on the layout of the place where you'll be doing the fashion shoot, you might find a prime lens useful as an alternative - smaller, lighter, and cheaper. We currently have a customer covering London Fashion Week with a 200mm f/2.8 prime, and the 135mm f/2 is a great lens too. Just a thought.

Depending on the layout of the place where you'll be doing the fashion shoot, you might find a prime lens useful as an alternative - smaller, lighter, and cheaper. We currently have a customer covering London Fashion Week with a 200mm f/2.8 prime, and the 135mm f/2 is a great lens too. Just a thought.

This is the case with most things, the 70-200 was useless at a Wedding recently and I would have murdered the groom [a mate] for a 85mm prime.

+1 too for the weight of the damn thing :eek:

Back