Which Canon macro lens should I get?

Name
Angie
Edit My Images
Yes
My OH is buying me a Canon macro lens for Christmas :)thumbs:) - one of the things I'll need it for is to do good close-ups of crystal objects and jewellery.

What would you recommend?

Thank you in advance for all your help!

:)

I think I'd be looking at an EF-S60 or EF50/2.5 Compact macro (the first option assumes that you have a crop sensored camera). Either of these will be cheaper than the 100/2.8 but the EF50 only goes to half life-size without an adaptor....still adequate for your intended use though.

Bob

I should have said......I've got a 400D so that means the EFS60 would be fine. Is the EF100/2.8 better? I don't mind spending the extra if it is (well....I won't be spending it!).

Whats the Budget Hermie?

I'm not paying! :D OH said he'd be happy to buy the 100mm so I guess up to that.

You could push for the 180mm L...as you are not paying...:D:D

Other than that, go for the 100/2.8. Next month or next year something happens and you get yourself a 5D or 1D or something and the EF-S 60 WILL BE USELESS to you.

Buy into the future!;)

I think my main question is, is it a better lens than the 60mm - or better for what I need it for? Is there a guide somewhere where I can compare the two?

I think maybe I should ask him for a photography course - there's a serious lack of knowledge here and half the time I'm too embarrassed to ask! It's my birthday in 2.5 weeks too....:D

Ooops - sorry Anton - I think you might have just answered that bit. Not sure I'll ever get to the levels you mention....but never say never...

Ooops - sorry Anton - I think you might have just answered that bit. Not sure I'll ever get to the levels you mention....but never say never...

My dear, at the beginning of this year I still owned my 350D and 20D...

If you ever told me I would have what I have now even in March this year I would have got the looney bin people for you...

As you said, never say never.

TBH, I do not think the 100 is hundreds of times better than the EF-S 60. The 60 is a lovely macro lens and I used to get fantastic results with it BUT the 100 is definitely better and it is future proof.

Thank you all - and a very Merry Christmas too! :)

Good review here on the 100mm and compares it to the EF-S 60 well worth a read before making your mind up.

A small quote from the article

Choosing the right focal length is probably the first criteria. Longer focal length macro lenses generally give you more distance-to-subject working space for the same subject framing. At the Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro lens' 3.5" or so (9cm) 1:1 working distance, it is hard to keep from scaring insects out of the territory. The Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro Lens allows about 6" (15cm) and the Canon EF 180mm f/3.5 L USM lens allows about 9.5" (24cm) of working distance at 1:1 magnification. More working distance is usually better for my typical macro work.

I bought the Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro for my 30D :)

I think Whiteflyer just summed it up in that quote.
Im going for a Macro next year i think, and im looking at either the Tamron 90mm or the Sigma 105mm. Sadly, cant afford a Canon. After the wedding next year however, things will change :D

Great review there, Whiteflyer. That's really helpful, thanks.

MJ - after finding my old Sigma zoom lenses don't fit the 400D, I'm saving a bit longer and buying Canon - or being extra nice to OH :D

Back