Which cards do you use?

Name
David G
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi

What cards do you use?

Although I'm new to photography, I was just wondering what is the difference between XD,SD and CF cards?. I am not sure what card(s) I will need to use in camera. If you guys give me some advice on this please and make your recommendations.

Thanks David

Size and shape are the main differences. What camera do you have? Also, if you read the manual it should tell you what cards yours takes.

David

Each camera requires a specific card. You'll need to look at the camera handbook to decide which your camera takes.

The SD, SD, CF designation refers to the design of the card, not to anything else. In other words an SD card will not fit in a camera designed to take CF cards.

Like the other posters have mentioned, actual dimensions seems to be the main difference. I think all formats are pretty much well-serviced these days with high-speed versions.

I use CF cards and have found that the Sandisk Extreme III cards are great value. I bought some 2GB cards on Amazon for £12 each, which is pretty good value. 4GB ones are only £15.

I'm led to beleive that if you're into high-speed (frames per second) photography - sports for example - then you need the fastest cards you can get hold of (UDMA??), especially if you're shooting in RAW, as the faster transfer rate will mean the camera won't be slowing down as it writes the info to the cards.

Thanks for your replys, I use a Fuji finepix S5600 and use an OLYMPUS-512mb XD picture card as stated by the manual. I just wanted to know if I could use something bigger and maybe faster.

You can get the H version which is quicker than the M, but xD's are still pretty slow tbh.

Thanks Blue Eagle What do you reccomend I purchase/use other than XD for High Speed Photography.

Back