Which Compact Flash Card for EOS 400D?

Edit My Images
No
I'm about to buy a Canon EOS 400D (after many years with an EOS print film camera and more recently a digital point and shoot), and would like some advice about which compact flash card to buy.

I'm looking at a 4GB card for now. I've seen Sandisk ones and I know they are a good brand. Is there a big difference between their products- between 'Ultra' or 'Extreme'? Between variants II, III or IV?

I'd consider myself an amateur enthusiast, so would definitely get frustrated if there was too much 'lag' when viewing back shots, or if it took too long to write to the card. To what extent does the quality of the memory card a factor when taking multiple frames per second?

I don't mind spending the extra (within reason) to get the right card for the camera, but if it's not going to make much difference, I'd rather put the money towards something else.

I've also seen 'fast' cards at good prices from brands I've never heard of.

Could you please share your thoughts?

Regards

Sandisk II or III will be more than adequate, check play.com cheapest at the mo :)

Oddly enough I was just looking at these....Play.com have the Sandisk Extreme III at just £33.99 delivered. Not a bad price at all and they'll cheerfully handle anything a 400D can throw at them!

Yep I use extreme III in my 400D, might be slight "over-kill" but there are a couple of plus's
1) should I move onto another ( got my sights on a 40D) with more frame per second, they will easilly handle that,
2) they opperate at lower tempratures than any others I have found in the price range, we are off to colder climes ( -15oC approx) for a short break shortly so another plus
From sandisc site

"Built to perform in the most extreme environments and temperatures—from
-13º F to 185º F
-25º C to 85º C"

I have a Kingston 4GB in my 400D, works fine. Haven't had any speed related problems (or any other for that matter).

My friend uses a Sandisk Extreme II or III (not sure which) in his 5D, says they are pretty good.

A lot depends on how you shoot.

Machine gun mode, or very happy trigger finger. Needs a fast card = scan II / III as said , but they cost a bit more

Think and shoot and think ... any card will do the job. The buffer on the cam will handle the shots.

That said I've gone for scandisk III 2G versions as they were only £17 a chuck at the time.
You might as well do the same.

Back