which compact for DSLR users?

Be careful they don't run out. ;)

I bought mine in July for £315, :eek: so it has come down quite a lot since the S100 has been announced and released.

ahh that's a very good point actually... maybe I'll give it a week and if it's not dropped, I'll grab one at the current price (y)
kicking myself for not visiting BestBuy when I was in the States last week!

Be careful they don't run out. ;)

I bought mine in July for £315, :eek: so it has come down quite a lot since the S100 has been announced and released.

:eek:

Are you serious?

I bought mine on November 12th last year for £275!

Very useful thread as I'm currently looking for a compact. Canon S95 it is! :)

Very useful thread as I'm currently looking for a compact. Canon S95 it is! :)

glad to have helped!
if you find a good deal, feel free to post it here ;)

best I can find is £244 on amazon

According to Camera Price Buster someone was selling it for £199 on the 28/11/11. :eek: So worth checking there every day. ;) :LOL:

There seems to be quite a few shops still selling it so there may money to come off it yet before they run out.

Keep an eye out for S100 reviews as well, because if they are bad, the price may not come down as expected, and may indeed start to rise again. :shrug:

I recently bought a little ixus 220hs as a pocket camera.

It's got no manual controls, but the auto modes are pretty accurate for most play photos. The only down side of it is it's size, it's so small I'm forever forgetting where I left it.

According to Camera Price Buster someone was selling it for £199 on the 28/11/11. :eek: So worth checking there every day. ;) :LOL:

There seems to be quite a few shops still selling it so there may money to come off it yet before they run out.

Keep an eye out for S100 reviews as well, because if they are bad, the price may not come down as expected, and may indeed start to rise again. :shrug:

i've got it bookmarked :)
the £199 price was at WEX, but it was only available for one day and seemingly 'sold out' soon after it was announced on hotdealsuk.

it's also worth clicking the links on CPB as the price displayed isn't automatically updated, though it's generally pretty quickly.

down to £239 on amazon... likely to go much lower, or should I snap one up now... :thinking:

benners said:
down to £239 on amazon... likely to go much lower, or should I snap one up now... :thinking:

I bought one from eBay at the weekend. Some company had 31 for sale still sealed in the box for £210 delivered.

It might be worth keeping an eye on eBay for more bargains

I bought one from eBay at the weekend. Some company had 31 for sale still sealed in the box for £210 delivered.

It might be worth keeping an eye on eBay for more bargains

thanks for the heads up, am always a little dubious about buying 'new' camera equipment off ebay... it's usually refurbed or imports...

prepare to watch the prices plummet... 'cos I've just ordered one from Amazon at £240
couldn't wait any longer :D

Just letting everyone know, I'm selling an S95 in the Canon classified. It's new, boxed, £225.

Cheers,

John

If you're interested you could cancel your order Ben, just saw your post!

Cheers,

John

ah too late! sorry john!

have you found a better compact?
or if it's new, I guess it's a comp prize or something?

It was passed on to me as part of an exchange, my main camera is nearly as small as a compact (minus the lens)... So I don't really need it, as great a camera as it is.

I'm sure you'll love yours!

John

Very impressed with my mums panasonic tz10 and got my wife the tz20 today for crimbo hope she likes it.:)

I got the S95 last week after being underwhelmed by the Sony HX9V and so far very impressed! It does feel like a "proper" camera in a small body. Got mine from ebay for £181, it was a refurb but the only way I could tell was from the plain box and the US/UK adapter for the charger.

kicking myself for not visiting BestBuy when I was in the States last week!

Given VAT and duty (which I'm sure you'd pay, rather than trying to sneak it through customs without paying), you'd only have saved about £3 from the current UK price, and that's going on bestbuy.com's prices, they're known for being devious gits that have cheaper prices online than in-store quite often.

The Pen isn't really a compact in the the context of this thread as it has interchangeable lenses. There are quite a few models of varying ability so it's not possible to say a simple good or bad about the range as a whole.

The Pen isn't really a compact in the the context of this thread as it has interchangeable lenses. There are quite a few models of varying ability so it's not possible to say a simple good or bad about the range as a whole.

Apart from saying that a Pen or any other Micro Four Thirds camera will blitz any compact for image quality :D and that they are well worth considering instead of the larger top end compacts.

I had an EPL-1 briefly and it did take decent quality pictures, but I didn't like the slow AF and the size. I have a DSLR so wanted a compact that would take good enough shots while still being able to fit in a pocket - the S95 fits the bill nicely.

Hmmmm I really want a new compact. I have a Canon Ixus 80 but it is definitely in need of replacing and I can't be bothered to carry my 40d everywhere with me so am in the market for an upgrade on the compact.

Looking at the responses it seems the S95 has plenty of good feedback - currently £229 on Amazon so possibly a contender for usage of any Christmas money I receive :)

Nikon P300 for me which is a very unpopular choice as it is not a highly rated piece of kit. Having used it for 3 months now I can conclude that quality is terrific, but the most important thing for me is that it does NOT have RAW. My concern was that I would purchase a compact and my D300s would stay in the bag. NOT having RAW goes along way in preventing this.
In my eyes a compact should be for when you just can't be arsed to carry everything else.

I am tempted by the S95 given the price drop (now £229.99 on amazon), but the 28mm wide angle is a major stumbling block - considering the Nikon P300 too as that is about £50 cheaper (around £180) and has a 24mm wide angle. Not too bothered about raw either for a point and shoot.

Other option is the Ixus 220 HS as with the Canon (£20) cashback offer it works out at just £109.60 on amazon.

Back