Which compact for my other half?

Name
Terry
Edit My Images
Yes
Morning,
My better half wants a compact (pocket) camera capable of taking good photos but to be honest there's a lot of models out there.

Conditions:
Has to be around £150
~Has to take very good photos
Has to be lightweight as needs to carry in her pocket / bag
Low light capability would be a bonus.

The Canon S100 looked to be a good camera but obviously not available anymore as is rather old.

Is the S120 the same sort of quality?

Thanks in advance,

Terry.

The Canon compacts have a very good reputation, I personally would be looking at Panasonic, but don't be fooled by the Leica lens guff I suspect it to be "looks like Leica"..Good hunting...:)

In the 1/1.7" sensor size the Panasonic LF1 with its EVF and tiny size is worth a look.

If you can stretch to it, how about a Sony RX100 mk1? Its a bit above your budget at 250 new (from an original RRP of 500 plus) after cash back but its an amazing little camera, fully manual and with IQ I don't think has been beaten in the compact market as of yet. I've just picked one up for travelling and I love it (see my post on the RX100 thread if you would like to see some basic samples I've taken).

Ricoh GR IV is a nice fully pocketable compact at about £160 - has a prime lens instead of a zoom which some might not like but I liked it for the year or so it was used as my main camera

Sony RX100 Mk1, maybe a few quid over your projected budget, but well worth it. My missus has had several cameras, and keeps coming back to the RX100. It easily fits in a normal sized pocket, even a jeans pocket unless they are skin-tight. Photo quality is truly excellent, and if she is not into camera stuff, the full auto modes work wonderfully well. She also loves the macro capabilities, shooting flowers,insects etc, and with the Sony its a doddle, no selecting modes, just focus in as normal.

The Canon S120 is a newer model of the S100. It's a very capable camera and, right now, is being sold at a bargain price (£209). I think may just have been discontinued - most likely soon to be replaced with a newer model costing circa £450.

Given your budgetary constraint, I don't think you'll get a better (new) camera. Whilst still a little over budget, it ticks all of the other boxes.

A few years back i nearly bought a Canon S95. In the end, I bought a Lumix LX5. I wish I'd bought the Canon - The LX5 was never quite pocketable enough and was used less than I'd originally intended. Were it not for the fact that I've still got the LX5, I'd be tempted to get the S120 myself.

Not quite pocket but the FujiX10 is what I throw in the wife's handbag when I travel light. I picked up mine on here used.

I have a Panasonic Compact TZ with a tiny 1/2.3 sensor and a silly massive 16m pixels, image quality is very poor.

I am going to get a Canon S120, as it's truly pocketable. Plus it's a sensible 12.1 Megapixel, and a not too small 1/1.7 sensor. It is currently £209 but being end of line, I am waiting for the price to drop even further.

Not quite pocket but the FujiX10 is what I throw in the wife's handbag when I travel light. I picked up mine on here used.
I have the Fuji X10 lovely images from a decent sized sensor, I can only get mine in a coat pocket. I leave mine at home very often, if I had a Canon S120 sized camera, it would go every where with me.

Back