Which Compact System Camera?

Name
Sarah
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All.

I have been pointed in the direction of this forum by a friend.
I am looking at buying a Compact System Camera within the next few days, as I am going to Rome on Thursday and I am going travelling next year.
I had a DSLR up until recently, but I would like a CSC to go travelling with.

I would like recommendations as I am a bit overwhelmed by them all! I'm looking for a good all-round camera, the chance to achieve bokeh, a good zoom and ideally a view finder!

Budget is flexible, for the right camera.

Thank you!

Sarah

Hi All.

I have been pointed in the direction of this forum by a friend.
I am looking at buying a Compact System Camera within the next few days, as I am going to Rome on Thursday and I am going travelling next year.
I had a DSLR up until recently, but I would like a CSC to go travelling with.

I would like recommendations as I am a bit overwhelmed by them all! I'm looking for a good all-round camera, the chance to achieve bokeh, a good zoom and ideally a view finder!

Budget is flexible, for the right camera.

Thank you!

Sarah

Fuji X is brilliant, but I would say that

Personally, if you are traveling then I would be tempted to look st the Nikon 1 system or preferably the Olympus/Panasonic micro four thirds system.

The thing with Fuji (and Sony) is that the lenses are still the same size as you would have had with your DSLR so much of the bulk is still there - with the systems I mention above the lenses are much smaller.

Sarah,

what will you be taking images of the most?
Do you need interchangeable lenses?
Do you need a long zoom?
why a CSC, is it for the smaller size?

The Nikon 1 system is a reasonable system, very quick focusing and very small and portable.
The m4/3 range are also nice and light, with relatively small lenses. The image quality is generally pretty good now days.
The fuji produce some good CSC cameras, but they and the lenses are starting to get a little bigger.

But what about some of the top end compacts, like the Sony RX100 and Panasonic LX100. These may be worth considering if you do not want to be carrying lenses around.

Thank you all! Some good recommendations, the research continues! I am in love with the Fujifilm X100T after playing with one today, but it's not ideal for all of my requirements.

Jondc - I love taking photos of people, street photography, and also macro shots. I think to achieve good bokeh I will need interchangeable lenses, is this right?
I'm not an expert at all but I loved my SLR and got to a level where I was taking good photos and enjoying the bokeh effects.

I can only advise you to pop into your local camera shop and try all the different makes and models then base your decision on what you liked and what felt right in your hand.

PS: The viewfinder on the Fuji XT-1 in good light is well good best I have seen.

Being able to achieve bokeh, as you call it (really it's shallow depth of field - bokeh is a subjective term about the QUALITY of the out of focus areas not how OOF they are) you need a largish sensor and a large aperture (small f number).

Some of the modern higher range compact cameras have both of these so should still be in contention - don't know what their names are though, sorry.

For me, the Nikon 1 sensor is a little bit too small to get shallow DoF but they do take lovely photos though, really really nice. The M4/3 sensor is just big enough when combined with a fast prime to get shallow enough DoF for pretty much any situation with the advantage of small lenses too

The Fuji system has a slightly bigger sensor still so will get shallower DoF (for the same f number) but the lenses are getting bigger.

Oh, the other thing is that compared to DSLRs the battery life on CSCs sucks so you will need to budget for spare batteries and preferably some sort of remote charging system if you're travelling.

The Panasonic GX7 is worth a look and I think it may be due for replacement soon so there may be some bargains about.

Depending upon what sort of shooting you like to do something like a 14-45mm "kit" lens and a 25mm f1.8 prime might be a good starting point. Personally when going abroad I normally take my LX5 for occasional wide and longish good light shooting and a better camera with a fast prime. Last time I went abroad I took the GX7 and just one lens, the 20mm f1.7. I also have 14mm f2.5, 25mm f1.8 and 45mm f1.8.

The Sony A6000 could be another good choice.

You haven't got long to get used to a new camera though but good luck choosing and with the trip :D

SaraaahS, as Nawty has responded, you do not need a interchangeable lens camera to get images with out of focus backgrounds. Yes the larger the sensor size and wider the aperture used the easier it is to achieve but the distance between your camera and the subject and the distance between the subject and the background are also key factors.

n0chex is right though, its best to get down to a shop. Make a short list of cameras that suit your needs and requirements and have a hands on session to see which suits you best, in both ergonomics, menus and logical layout.

Olympus m5 mk 2 is a fantastic camera! Professionals are giving up shooting SLR's for it!

Thank you all! Some good recommendations, the research continues! I am in love with the Fujifilm X100T after playing with one today, but it's not ideal for all of my requirements.

Jondc - I love taking photos of people, street photography, and also macro shots. I think to achieve good bokeh I will need interchangeable lenses, is this right?
I'm not an expert at all but I loved my SLR and got to a level where I was taking good photos and enjoying the bokeh effects.
I think if you've fallen in love with the x100t, an interchangeable lens Fuji will be just the thing. Add the 23mm lens to whatever is in the kit and you've got a great start.

Last edited:
The Fuji X-T1 and XF lenses offer phenomenal quality. The EVF is the biggest and brightest out there. The zoom lenses are extremely high quality even the 18-55mm kit lens is of an all metal construction with a metal aperture ring. The Nikon and Canon kit lenses don't even come close in build quality. The 23mm (35mm FF equiv) is Fuji's flagship lens and is incredibly sharp at all apertures. It also produces a very nice smooth creamy bokeh when wide open.

The xpro1 is probably the closest CSC to the x100t in terms of function as they both have a dual function optical AND electronic viewfinder. There are rumours that the xpro2 will be released soon as the xpro1 was released in 2012.

Thanks again all. I've had a play with the X-Pro1 and the X-T1 today. Do you think the X-T1 is worth the price difference?

My budget is being stretched a bit here, taking into consideration the lens purchases.

Thanks again all. I've had a play with the X-Pro1 and the X-T1 today. Do you think the X-T1 is worth the price difference?

My budget is being stretched a bit here, taking into consideration the lens purchases.

The AF is faster on the X-T1 and has an improved sensor over the X-Pro1. That said they are both good cameras. Don't over stretch yourself financially though !

The Panasonic GX7 is worth a look and I think it may be due for replacement soon so there may be some bargains about.

Depending upon what sort of shooting you like to do something like a 14-45mm "kit" lens and a 25mm f1.8 prime might be a good starting point. Personally when going abroad I normally take my LX5 for occasional wide and longish good light shooting and a better camera with a fast prime. Last time I went abroad I took the GX7 and just one lens, the 20mm f1.7. I also have 14mm f2.5, 25mm f1.8 and 45mm f1.8.

The Sony A6000 could be another good choice.

You haven't got long to get used to a new camera though but good luck choosing and with the trip :D
+1 for the GX7, great walkabout camera, with a decent electronic viewfinder, will fit in a big pocket with the 20mm, or a very small bag with the kit lens.

The X-T1 is more advanced technically but the viewfinder is purely electronic rather than hybrid optical/electronic like the x100t and xpro1. Many people prefer electronic to optical but I would prefer optical any day.

Thank you all! Some good recommendations, the research continues! I am in love with the Fujifilm X100T after playing with one today, but it's not ideal for all of my requirements

The X100/X100S/X100T make an ideal travel camera, yes you have no zoom and have to work a bit, but the results can be great.

X100 on tour on Isle of Mull https://www.flickr.com/photos/89667368@N05/sets/72157634009184707/

X100 on tour in Tuscany https://www.flickr.com/photos/89667368@N05/sets/72157636898751786/

I managed the whole week on Mull with a single battery, though it was close as I'd left spare batteries and charger at home, so I wasn't doing any chimping!! Unless you are trigger happy you'll manage a days shooting on a battery easily.

2nd hand X-Pro1 and a lens or 2 would be a cheap entry into the Fuji X system and should be reasonably easy to shift on when you upgrade (or keep the basic system and add to it...) The X-T1 is a big upgrade from an X-Pro1 in terms of handling and VF but less so in terms of image quality - either will deliver great shots for printing up to A3+ SOOC if you use the JPEGs. The only thing currently missing from the X series line up is a long zoom - 230mm is the longest available (in native fit) but there's a 100-400 due later this decade year.

Back