Which compact to compliment 400D

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
Looking for a new compact to compliment my 400D. After something that is small and light but still gives good results, have had an IXUS 70 but dropped this the other week and its not been the same since.

I am thinking the G9 is going to be a bit small but do like the option of RAW, so are there any other smaller cameras that do RAW?

I know I could read loads of reviews but thought I would try and narrow it down a bit first.

do you mean a bit big?

dpreview has a feature search tool, which will allow you to look up all the compacts with raw capability. To my mind they all have some biggish disadvantages.

i just picked up a Lumix FX35 to compliment my 400D. cant recomend it enough. (y)

I bought myself a G9 a few months ago and think it's absolutely fantastic. The images will be alost as good as your 400 and the controls are similar in many ways. The Canon Zoom Browser will work with both and if I'm right, the bateries will be interchancgable. Which is very handy.

I'd say that you should try to put up with the size (which isn't that big really) and get one. You wont regret it for one second once you've got it.

Thread plug time:

Have a look here and here.

I am enthusing about the Leica D-Lux 3 at the moment. Its a fabulous camera.

It does RAW and is smaller than the G9. There's an equivalent Panasonic Lumix that is supposed to be more or less the same camera. [ edit - doh - and cheaper ]

But I love the red spot. It will do all you want it to.

About G9 money then. Makes the decision a little more difficult.

Will I be welcome if I throw the Ricoh GRII into the mix as well. There's a guy on flickr who uses it to produce amazing images. Its a rangefinder too, which is a bonus.

Back