Which Compact?

Name
Alex
Edit My Images
Yes
Evening all, been a while since I was here!

Sold all my gear when we were buying a house and since have found myself just using my phone for photos...

We've got a few holidays coming up so looking for a compact before a big spend on a new DSLR.

So far I quite like the Nikon P330 and also the Olympus XZ-2 - opinions? Anything else I should be looking at?

Thanks!

Sony rx100 - you should definitely read the reviews on this. Excellent compact, large sensor and pocket size.

I have noticed that the "1"" sensor of the RX100 is quite an impressive size when compared with other pocket sized zooms like the Canon S110 which probably has less than half the surface area.

see http://1.static.img-dpreview.com/reviews/sony-cybershot-dsc-rx100/images/Sensor-Sizes.png?v=2159 for comparison.

It can't be long now before they manage to shoehorn an APS-C sensor into a pocket zoom camera, especially as pocket sized cameras with prime lenses are now starting to appear with an APS-C sensor, but I guess making one with a zoom is not so easy.

Cheers folks.

I disregarded the Sony as I can see myself buying an SLR again soon and it's a fair bit more then the others... Hmm!

About the same money for the P7100 - rugged, cracking results, but a bit slow. If you aren't tryi gto get dogs galloping across the fields, or kids playing football full frame it should be fine. It withstands nasty weather too!

The bright red hand is not colour cast - it is because 5 minutes before we were trying to withstand THIS - it was hail and heavy rain. We were frozen.

The little camera was in the bottom boards of our boat when it came it down - we were ashore. It was drenched, like us, but still worked. I got the pics of the boats having rescued it from sitting in 1/2" deep water and a bed of hail.

can't fault it other than for handling speed.

Sony rx100 - you should definitely read the reviews on this. Excellent compact, large sensor and pocket size.

Definitely gets my vote, bought one recently and during a trip to Iceland found it so good that I left my DSLR in its bag several times..not quite as good as DSLR quality but probably as close as you'll get with a compact, definitely with one that fits in your pocket

Simon

I tried the RX100 but it's not quite as small as I thought it would be. Just a little too small to fit into the average jeans pocket (unless you wear one of those tent-type pants!).
I chose the S110 and I have to say that it's been really, really good. It's very small and the UI and pic quality has been exceptional for such a small camera!

Back