Which dash camera?

Name
Linda
Edit My Images
No
After our recent RTC which was resolved quickly thanks to the honesty of the truck driver and his company and hearing what is happening to a neighbour involved in an RTC, I have decided to get a dashcam. Could you please make recommendations?

I don't like recommending things as personal experiences and expectations may differ, and there's bound to the odd dud every now and then! However, I've got one of the Nextbase ones, which I've had for over a year, and it seems to work OK (last time I checked a couple of months ago!).

Make sure you get a heavy duty SD card for it though, as all that writing and over-writing of video files tends to wear the normal ones out. Reading the dashcam forum threads, card problems seem to be responsible for quite a few cameras appearing to 'malfunction'.

I can give you the make and model of both the dashcam and the SD card if you're interested, as I need to bring it in to reformat it (something they recommend you do every few weeks or months just to clear the old 'write protected' files off the card, as it automatically saves and protects a video clip if it thinks the vehicle has been in a collision (but that also often includes the car door or boot/tailgate shutting!).

I don't like recommending things as personal experiences and expectations may differ, and there's bound to the odd dud every now and then! However, I've got one of the Nextbase ones, which I've had for over a year, and it seems to work OK (last time I checked a couple of months ago!).

Make sure you get a heavy duty SD card for it though, as all that writing and over-writing of video files tends to wear the normal ones out. Reading the dashcam forum threads, card problems seem to be responsible for quite a few cameras appearing to 'malfunction'.

I can give you the make and model of both the dashcam and the SD card if you're interested, as I need to bring it in to reformat it (something they recommend you do every few weeks or months just to clear the old 'write protected' files off the card, as it automatically saves and protects a video clip if it thinks the vehicle has been in a collision (but that also often includes the car door or boot/tailgate shutting!).

I look forward to any update as considering a dash cam?

TIA :)

I asked the same question a little while ago - and happily own a StreetGuardian SGGCX2PRO - here's some night time footage I captured using it on roads that are less well lit than most of the UK. (Make sure you set the youtube video playback to 1080p to see the best quality)

Youtube link

Last edited:
I've got a nextbase but it's an older one.
Works fine but lower resolution than the newer ones.
I'd get another nextbase one if I was getting a new one.
The 312gw is decent spec and not too expensive.
The 612gw is almost half price at Halfords, down from £199 to £109

Last edited:
I have had a nextbase one for a while now.. does 1080... tested at night and you can clearly read number plates.. brilliant quality

recently got a newer one for the wifes car... video just as good but comes on quicker and easier controls...

all in all nextbase as good as it gets..

got both mone from halfords and paid an extra £20 to have it hardwired so i dont have to do anything.. engine on off.. dashcam on off.. easy peasy and no wires mess.

I can give you the make and model of both the dashcam and the SD card if you're interested

why the secrecy.. the whole concept of an open forum is to share to all ...just tell us.. :)

The nextbase 522gw looks good.
I'll probably get one, and give the old one to my wife :)

I have had a nextbase one for a while now.. does 1080... tested at night and you can clearly read number plates.. brilliant quality

recently got a newer one for the wifes car... video just as good but comes on quicker and easier controls...

all in all nextbase as good as it gets..

got both mone from halfords and paid an extra £20 to have it hardwired so i dont have to do anything.. engine on off.. dashcam on off.. easy peasy and no wires mess.

I bought Nextbase front and rear cameras and also got Halfords to fit. Excellent kit. They often have good kit deals on. It is noticeable the number of tailgaters who see the rear camera and back off....

I have a nextbase 312GW as well and happy with it. I piggybacked it off another car fuse so that it comes on with the ignition, in this case the car seat heater which is only live with the ignition on.

Last edited:
Just to buck the nextbase trend, I have a Thinkware F770 and like it so much I got another to fit in Mrs Moggys car.
For a basic model with very good image quality I'd consider the Aukey dual camera from Amazon. No wifi or screen, but very good for the money (less than £100) I have one in my Mini

why the secrecy.. the whole concept of an open forum is to share to all ...just tell us.. :)
It's not a secret Kippax... I just can't blinkin remember which model the Nextbase camera is, or the make, model and capacity of the SD card! :thinking: Will look tonight when I get 5 mins and let you know. (y)

Nextbase 512GW - can't fault it. Hardwired in. Just have to remember to occasionally format the card (otherwise it saves some of the things it detects as potential crashes, like Horsemarket in Kelso - and fills the card with those)

Back home now and took the dashcam into the house to see what it is and do the recommended periodic card format to get rid of the 'protected' files from when the sensor in the camera felt an impact... if you don't do this I would think the card will gradually fill up with protected files and run out of space. The amount of protected files being recorded can be reduced by turning the 'parking mode' off, but if someone hits your car in a car park you may not have a recording to ID them!

It's a Nextbase 412GW (same as donetello's). I've used this for around 2 years and it seems to have worked faultlessly. My only slight criticism is that the sticky pad that glues the mount to the windscreen melted slightly during that hot weather we had last year, and I occasionally (if it's been a very hot day) have to push the mount back against the windscreen. I must get another double sided sticky pad off them before next summer! Also, I find the micro SD card fiddly to insert and remove, particularly if I've just trimmed my fingernails!

After 2 years sitting in all weathers a couple of CM away from the windscreen, the camera still works as it did when new; so yes, I'd buy another one as I've been pleased with it. I quite like the software it comes with too, which gives the all-important ability to play the video footage back one frame at a time, so you have more chance of reading the number plates of other cars.

Talking of which, don't expect to read the plates of oncoming cars at night in dimly-lit areas and unlit country lanes; the effect of vehicle speed and the headlights of your vehicle reflecting off an oncoming white number plate will make it very difficult if not virtually impossible for any reasonably-priced video camera to produce a recognisable image.

Talking of which, the HD and full HD video on this model of camera differ in their frame rates. I go for the 1080p setting as it gives me 60 frames per second; 1440 full HD gives 30 FPS. Looking at this logically, I will have 50% more frames to play back one frame at a time to read a car reg. 1440p might look slightly better as video, but when it comes to the crunch (literally!) all I'll care about is having a fair representation of what happened and evidence of the other person's vehicle reg and car description, and I reckon I'm more likely to get that with twice as many frames per second.

The card: a heavy duty card is recommend, as the camera will constantly write over old files. Depending which resolution you have the camera set on, and whether or not you want duplicate files (one large full resolution file to record the most detail, and a small file that shows what's happened - this might be important at the scene of a major accident where the Police need to view what's happened and transmit this via Bluetooth/WiFi to another device, or you want to email a small file to your insurance company), a 64 Gigabyte card will give about 2 hours recording before the camera re-writes over the oldest files. So if you regularly do long journeys and want them recording from start to finish then buy a bigger card... or press the 'write protect' button on the camera if some dozy or aggressive twonk has nearly wiped your car out and you want to keep the file and send it to the Police.

I bought a SanDisk Heavy Duty 64 GB card, I forget the exact name of the model but the one I bought is white with a red SanDisk logo and black spec details on it. After 2 years it still seems to be working OK, so I think money well spent. As I said above, from the research on dashcam forums I did prior to buying, standard SD cards (particularly lesser quality or fake ones) may not stand up very well to the constant re-writing of data and may play up and cause the dashcam to look as though it's malfunctioning or broken.

Bear in mind, the above kit was bought 2 years ago, so things have probably moved on a bit since then. So perhaps check some of the Dashcam Forums out and see what they're saying review and long-term test wise. Hope this is useful... and that there's enough transparency and disclosure for @KIPAX . ;)

Last edited:
Thinkware f800 front and rear, best capacitor based system (battery ones can 'blow' in hot weather).

I put a "Dashcam onboard" sticker on my rear window.
Stops a lot of tailgating:)
What might happen if a gang of armed robbers see that and think they've been identified on video? Hey, I could write a thriller about that! Joking aside, I did think about a sticker but then thought better of it. If you've got a rear facing camera then anyone tailgating that closely should see it anyway.

Seriously?
thought that was a joke.
How many times in your life have you seen armed robbers?
I don't know, as they don't tend to advertise what they are! Joking aside, the armed robbers thing was just an extreme scenario but I suspect we've all unknowingly passed by people who have been up to no good and don't want to be recognised in a particular place at a particular time.

If they think they might have been captured on a dashcam then what's to stop them following the car and at least breaking into it to remove the evidence when it's parked? Also, a sticker might encourage the attention of opportunistic thieves who will break in to the car to look for the camera thinking its hidden in the glove box, etc. or draw their attention to an easy £30 sale down the pub if it's hanging there in place on the screen like a ripe plum. So I decided not to advertise the fact I'd got one. You don't tend to notice them if they're mounted alongside the interior mirror, but putting a big sticker on your rear screen let's everyone know, good and bad. Personal choice, but maybe a factor worth thought when deciding. :)

Last edited:
I bought some cheap Chinese action cam (GoPro knockoff) with a dashcam mode and put that on the car, it has been flawless. Because it is an action cam, it can record even with the power off, I set it to record a further 30mins after the car has been switched off. It was only like £60.

Nextbase 412GW

I've had one of these for a few years, spent most of it's life in a very damp car, doors leaked and always been reliable.
I use the suction mount on the windscreen, when it broke I had it replaced free of charge
Never have it on when I park the car, it's in a private place so not really worried.
Have had a neighbour complain about being filmed, but not bothered TBH

don't go cheap, you get what you pay for.
I have had a few 30-50 quid cameras from ebay and they're all pish.
Nextbase mid range cameras are where I aim now.
Less than £100 but better in reliability, mounting features, compression quality of the video (this is REALLY key) and GPS which gives you your speed which is handy (if turned on).

Conversely my 50quid amazon cameras work fine. Run off a USB port that powered up when cars unlocked. Footage is perfectly fine day and night to see how an accident occurred. None of the top cameras can read on coming plays at night in dark roads. If there is one complaint I seem to trigger the saved files more frequently than the wife Andy have to format the card every 3 weeks or so but that might be the proximity to heavy lorry’s passing during the day.

Snip:
If there is one complaint I seem to trigger the saved files more frequently than the wife Andy have to format the card every 3 weeks or so but that might be the proximity to heavy lorry’s passing during the day.
You should be able to find out if you watch some of the saved files. (y)

What's the budget

I've got a blackvue in my car, no screen so fits neatly behind the mirror , rear camera is also very small , hard wired in it detects motion and impacts in parking mode so if you leave it in a car park and somebody reverses into it you get a recording

This is the most likely scenario your car will be damaged so parking mode is essential IMO, other cameras will have it but if your fag lighter is only live when the ignition is on it won't be recording

blackvue has a smart power supply which won't flatten your battery if left on

Blackvue 730 dual camera would be my first choice. I've been using the 630 system for about 4 years and it's proved invaluable in two minor accidents that weren't my fault.

Not cheap but by far the best recording quality of any I've owned and that's been quite a few.

As wack61 mentioned you can get the smart power box that keeps the camera going for a time period after you stop or set to a voltage drop that's safe for your battery not to get drained.

Just bought the nextbase 312g as i did not want or need the wifi version & i am very happy with it.:D

Thanks everybody; our claim has been settled. Is it expensive to get it wired in?

Thanks everybody; our claim has been settled. Is it expensive to get it wired in?
I think it's about £30 or so at Halfords if you buy the camera from there (if the price is competitive), but it will probably say somewhere on their website. Check the total cost of wired-in fitting + any installation kit, as some places may quote/charge separately for these.

I fitted mine without any problems , you can buy piggy back fuses to connect the power supply , the rest of it is just tucking wires away , the plastic trim removal kits on ebay make it easy to get the trim off

Funnily enough Mrs WW brought up the subject of dash cams this morning, she has one in her car in Thailand and suggested we fit them to our cars here. We have two cars, an MX5 and a Hyundai Getz hatch back. I could get one for each car I suppose. What about a backward facing one? That'll mean I need two for each car or possibly just the one for the MX5 as much of the time I have the top down.

I know nothing… and specifically I know nothing about dash cams so if we can avoid taking the thread too far off topic can someone give me a dummies run down, for example do they have screens.... how do you make sure they're pointed the right way, do you take them out when the car is parked, can they run on batteries and if so for how long etc. A dummies guide might help others too :D

I liked the idea of using an old phone but I've no idea if they're a credible substitute for a dashcam.

Last edited:
Funnily enough Mrs WW brought up the subject of dash cams this morning, she has one in her car in Thailand and suggested we fit them to our cars here. We have two cars, an MX5 and a Hyundai Getz hatch back. I could get one for each car I suppose. What about a backward facing one? That'll mean I need two for each car or possibly just the one for the MX5 as much of the time I have the top down.

I know nothing… and specifically I know nothing about dash cams so if we can avoid taking the thread too far off topic can someone give me a dummies run down, for example do they have screens.... how do you make sure they're pointed the right way, do you take them out when the car is parked, can they run on batteries and if so for how long etc. A dummies guide might help others too :D

I liked the idea of using an old phone but I've no idea if they're a credible substitute for a dashcam.

You can pay £300 for them....I went cheap.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Spy-Tec-Ac...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=56RP4ZNBDPK1X6NRC16A

One of these (I have gen 1), but this is gen 2 and 2k video. You don't need 4k as that will just will up the card really fast.

It has a Dash Cam mode, so it starts when your car starts, it shuts down when you car shuts down. It has a Sony Sensor and night time footage is great. It breaks down footage into 5mins segment, it will re-record over oldest file when it gets full. I haven't touched it since I installed it after checking it works.

I have a 3M mount for it, then run a long USB cable to the the 12V cig port into the car. You can see the 3M pad there in the rear, just under the spoiler.

Mount to fit it into the car, you can swap the suction pad for a 3M one easy enough.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222758395064

TK7JcyG.jpg

Found a sample video

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktQt1CDCM84

Last edited:

The latest Nextbase cameras take a clip-on rear-facing camera which would work well in an open car. Some (including Nextbase) have screens, some don't. If there is a screen then set-up is easy. The camera I use has a magnetic mount so removal is easy but I don't normally bother. Most have some provision for recording when the car is knocked when parked (parking mode) so need to either have a battery (or a capacitor) or to be wired permanently on. I've found Nextbase batteries to be a weak point.

Thanks you two.

I'm really interested in getting one or two now especially after reading horror stories about accidents and insurance companies apportioning blame and putting premiums into the stratosphere but I think I'll want to get into the habit of taking it out when the car is parked as although it'd be nice to be able to see if anything happens while the car is parked up I don't want to come back to a smashed window and a missing dash cam.

I'll have a read up when I get time but as I'm an almost complete technophobe these days (except when it comes to cameras and lenses) I'm starting pretty much from scratch so the info is appreciated.

Nextbase 512GW - can't fault it. Hardwired in. Just have to remember to occasionally format the card (otherwise it saves some of the things it detects as potential crashes, like Horsemarket in Kelso - and fills the card with those)
I also own the Nextbase 512GW and very happy with it.

Back