Which external flash? Canon 600d

Name
Carl
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

Ive been reading about low light external flash, and how , with a diffuser, i can use a flash, point it to the ceiling or the side or the subject to get a more realistic/non-flat photograph.

Prices range from £20-£500.

I think for me, £500 would definitely be ott, would this below (a nice cheapo from amazon) give me reasonable results? after all, its just light.... (waits for the face slaps...)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TT520-Flash-Speedlite-Canon-1100D/dp/B004K689EO/ref=pd_cp_ce_0

For an extra 8 quid, I can add a diffuser to it, it might just be £40 but if its going to be no-good, then id rather keep the £40 and add more to it in the future to get a better flash.

:notworthy:

Looks like good value. Just bear in mind it doesn't have ETTL or second curtain sync but if you're just starting out then thats not necessarily a bad thing as it gets you used to what the power settings actually relate to in real terms. If you can stretch your budget slightly you could also pick up a cheap off camera flash cord as well to add another dimension. Hope that helps.

These nothing like a flash with Canon ETTL II which does alot of the calculations for flash output for you when paired with a Canon lens, Personaly i wouldnt waste my money on the flash you linked as my moto is (buying cheep costs you dear) because your most likely gonna find it inadeqate and buy a decent one in the end.

I would recommend you buy a Canon 430EXII or the superb Canon 580EX II.

But hey its your choice i'm only giving my opinion :)

I'd say a Canon as above but my reasons are slightly different. Whilst I think it's good to have a thorough understanding of setting the flash manually (If for no other reason than forgetting to charge spare batteries and wanting to make the current batteries last as long as possible, oops. More seriously though it's a skill that can come in useful for lighting tricky subjects). I wouldn't get a manual only flash to start with though unless you want a steeper learning curve. (flash is very useful and if you can't understand it then it doesn't get used and the on board one is used instead, I've seen it happen before.)

Maybe a better way of advising you what to get though would be for you to tell us what you want to use it for and how often you would use it?.

Also, ettl2 will only work with a usm lens so it's a good idea to include the lenses you have aswell.

Edit: I suppose one of the best ways to find out if you would get on ok with a non ettl flash would be these question.

What effect does shutter speed have on flash exposure?
What effect does aperture have on flash exposure?

Last edited:
id love to spend my money on better lenses and flashes and accessories, but ive got a car as a hobby, and that costs me a fortune lol

im having to go cheap skate way, mainly since im still learning, im not in it for making money at this stage, im happy experimenting and getting the odd offer to do a prom or car shoot. if i can make money from photography, it'll certainly go back into better lenses etc..

Great comments though guys, most helpful :)

Just my experience but I bought a 50mm 1.8 and didn't really think it was worth the money. If it was me I'd have a look at a sigma flash if I was on a budget or possibly the jessops own brand flash. That said there's quite a few people on here who love the 50mm but for me it just didn't live up to the hype. I'm guessing you have the 18-55 lens at the minute so if your thinking of the 50mm then use your current lens at only the longest end for a few days and see what you think of the focal length

I love my 50mm 1.8... Wouldn't be without it. that's a good place to start for low light shots. Then try some test shots and bump the Iso up and review you images on the pc. Then you'll know how much ISO you can have before you start to get too much noise. The 50mm for me is a must have, get one!!

i would also recommend the Canon 430EXII or the superb Canon 580EX II, i got my 430exii of ebay very cheap and you wouldn't think it had been used

how can an ef 50mm f1.8 not be worth it's money
it is less than the cost of a romantic dinner

Nissin Di866 mk II for £180 ish - all the features of the 580ex II for half the price.

Because I think that focal length is pretty useless on a crop (for what I do at least it's too long for lots of things and too short for lots of others). Compare that to a similar priced flash and I would pick the flash every time. But I suppose it does depend what your shooting. (I was quite keen on the 50mm until I got one and found out the focusing on it wasn't great and it's not really a length that I would use)

I've got a Nissin Di866 and a Canon 580EX II and the wife uses a Nissin Di622. The Nissin's are excellent for the price and are both feature packed. The Di622 MkII is about on the same level as the Canon 430EX II but can be had for under a £100 from a lot of places. The Di866 is on a par with the 580EX II and mine gets used probably more than my 580 as it's so easy to use. Put it on auto mode and it adjusts to your settings and away you go. With your 600D you can use both of the Nissin's as off camera flash controlled by the wireless function in your camera.

Back