Which film - so long since i last bought some !

Edit My Images
No
I have a full day photography course coming up at a bird of prey centre. I've been on digital SLRs for 5 years (initially a EOS300d, now a EOS 5d), but i've still got my old EOS500n in the cupboard thats probably seen less than 20 rolls of film through it :(

I know its not the best film camera by any means :shake::shake: but i thought it would be interesting to take it along and see how it compares against the 12Mp full frame 5d. I have a friend who can scan the negatives for me.

So given the shoot is part indoor posed shots and part outdoor flight what would be peoples recommendations...

Colour ?
B&W ?
ISO ??

I'm not so sure about B&W :shrug: , partly as i think colour would be better for the subject matter, and its more difficult to compare image quality to digital ?

I realise i can convert to B&W once i have the negs scanned but does that sort of defeat any benefit in IQ of a true B&W film ?? :shrug:

Many thanks for the advice (y)

I suppose you're looking at iso 400 to give you the best chance of something from both arena's.
You don't know what the light will be like at either although you can cover the indoor imponderable with flash, in flight will need a fast shutter...at least its outside(y)
Assuming you only take one speed, I'd say 400 slide film, Provia 400 or something.

fuji superia should do you :)

If you fancy taking some B&W along, Ilford Delta Pro 400 or Delta Pro 3200 (the latter has a huuuuuuge range of usable speeds, from 200-25000).

You might also consider boots own slide film, it's pretty good for the price (£6 process paid) and is made by fuji anyway.

Been looking around a few websites - on paper there doesn't seem to be that many films around anymore (hardly surprising given the majority of the population are digital by now), but god its a minefield !

Now a really daft question - i've never ever used slide film - i know the price includes processing but do you still get the negatives back in the same way as i would with prints ? (No laughing now !). Are there any advantages in slide films over print film ?

The stuff is so cheap in 7 day shop that i just ordered the following..

Ilford Delta 100 - 135-24 (Single Roll) - £1.95
Fuji Neopan 400CN - 135-36 (Single Roll) - C41 Process - £2.25
Fuji Professional PRO400H - 135-36 (Single Roll) - £2.20
Fuji Provia 400X - 135-36 (Single Roll) - £3.89

I've got a bit of time before the day out, so i think i'll see what the Neopan 400CN is capable of beforehand (since its easy to get processed).

Just remembered i have an ancient but barley used Nikon FM2 body in the office with 50mm and 24m Macro lenses, which i found in a Peli case during a building clearout years ago - that might as well have an outing too.

The stuff is so cheap in 7 day shop that i just ordered the following..

Ilford Delta 100 - 135-24 (Single Roll) - £1.95
Fuji Neopan 400CN - 135-36 (Single Roll) - C41 Process - £2.25
Fuji Professional PRO400H - 135-36 (Single Roll) - £2.20
Fuji Provia 400X - 135-36 (Single Roll) - £3.89

I've got a bit of time before the day out, so i think i'll see what the Neopan 400CN is capable of beforehand (since its easy to get processed).

Just remembered i have an ancient but barley used Nikon FM2 body in the office with 50mm and 24m Macro lenses, which i found in a Peli case during a building clearout years ago - that might as well have an outing too.

Now a really daft question - i've never ever used slide film - i know the price includes processing but do you still get the negatives back in the same way as i would with prints ? (No laughing now !). Are there any advantages in slide films over print film ?

You get the slides back the same as if they were colour reversal or b/w.
The kicker is, a third dimension without printing, slides are beautiful on a lightbox on they're own, no scanning, printing, slide copying, colour mixing required, they are what they are, the finished article.
Though 35mm might be a bit diddy..:shrug:

You get the slides back the same as if they were colour reversal or b/w.
The kicker is, a third dimension without printing, slides are beautiful on a lightbox on they're own, no scanning, printing, slide copying, colour mixing required, they are what they are, the finished article.
Though 35mm might be a bit diddy..:shrug:

thanks for the clarification - looks like it doesn't really make any difference then since both sets of negs can be used for printing from.

(y)

I don't think you can beat Fuji Provia 400X - It has that extra bit of speed compared to the Provia 100 and still hardly any grain visible. I tend to use this for most of my film shots these days. It scans extremely well and you can get great prints from it.

Well i have the Neopan 400CN loaded at the moment - about half way through the roll, so a few weeks and i'll see the results !

Certainly making me think a lot about what i am shooting with this film though - i'm having to seek out different shots, concentrating on contrast and/or texture.

I'm not expecting any startling images , but it is making me think - something you don't have to do too much with digital !

I use fuji Velvia 50 or Kodak EBX 100 Slide film, and Fuji Superia print film, bought in bulk from 7dayshop.

ive just used 7dayshop to get 3 rolls of provia very cheap! great site.

Back