which film types to buy..?

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
just had a browse through the Photo Express site and they say..
"......although we can develop B&W C41 35mm films."

could anybody advise me what film types I should be looking to buy..?

I want to simply send my 35mm film away for "develop and scan negs to CD"
does this mean I am limited to C-41 process films.....:thinking:

I have ..FujiFilm Neopan 400CN...[one roll done by Club35 was very satisfactory]

and just bought "200ASA colour print film" from Boots CN-41...£5 rolls/£8
prob get done by Boots first to see their quality/or not..

any other B&W or color print film that use the C-41 process...?
or am i missing something.....thanks

Ilford XP2 and Kodak BW400CN are C41 process B+W.

All colour print film is C-41 process

As for getting 'proper' black and white dev'd and scanned to CD, no idea, most people on here seem to dev their own.

edit: Club 35 do black and white processing link never used it though, and it aint cheap!

Last edited:
AG photographic say

"Take a look at the new KODAK Ektar 100 colour negative film. The World's finest grain colour neg. film featuring ultra vivid colour, ideal for photographers looking for the saturated look where a negative and C41 processing is more convenient."

all a bit confusing

Their comparing it to slide films like fuji Velvia(which is very saturated), which use the E6 process.

Last edited:
Ilford XP2 and Kodak BW400CN are C41 process B+W.
All colour print film is C-41 process
As for getting 'proper' black and white dev'd and scanned to CD, no idea, most people on here seem dev their own.
edit: Club 35 do black and white processing link never used it though, and it aint cheap!

thanks for the first 2 sentences...

that's what i mean by confusing --- why do you use the term "proper' B&W
whats 'improper' about Fiji Neopan 400CN...?

as stated - no plans to do own developing ... no time/money for a few rolls

yes club35 was about £13 IIRC....:shake:

It looks from the site, that Photo-Express only process C41 35mm film - so if you're using their service, you'd be restricted to C41 films - either normal colour or the chromagenic C41 black and whites (XP2 / NEOPAN 400CN / Kodak Pro T400 CN). For "proper" black and white, you'd be looking at going to Peak Imaging/Ilford Labs/Club 35 - peak and club35 will also do E6 slide stock as well I believe.

Black and white films come in two varieties 'Proper' :p black and white, which uses its own process and is easily done at home (Ilford HP5 FP4 etc)

And C41(colour) process black and white films which are aimed at people who need a black and white film that can be developed in a common process.

Hope that makes sense!

Black and white films come in two varieties 'Proper' :p black and white, which uses its own process and is easily done at home (Ilford HP5 FP4 etc)

And C41(colour) process black and white films which are aimed at people who need a black and white film that can be developed in a common process.

Hope that makes sense!

clunk as penny drops ---thanks

so commercial colour labs can process C-41 hence B&W C-41 films
and 'some' labs can do 'proper' B&W -- at a greater cost

there's 3 basic types of film

C41 film - uses colour dyes to produce a negative image on a backing which may or may not have a orange tint. Depending on the dyes, this may be a colour negative, or a black and white one.

E6 film - commonly referred to as colour slide film. Produces a positive colour image on a pale backing.

Black and White - this being the "proper B&W" film - silver halide crystals in emulsion on the backing when developed show as black grains of silver. The development process is a far simpler chemical process than the other 2 types, hence its common for people to process their own.

There Is another type - Kodachrome Slide - but unless you've got a roll, and fancy shooting it before the end of the year, before the only processing line in the world that can handle it shuts down, we can pretty much ignore it :LOL:

There's also a nice intro to different fiilms and how they work here

Last edited:
Yep!, there's also a far greater range of 'proper' black and white films, as their aimed at the enthusiast/pro market.

Mark.................."which may or may not have a orange tint."

is this a problem using C-41 B&W that I am likely to experience..?

BTW --- posted that "old book" off to you this morning ...things were a LOT simpler when it was all done with paper and cellulose.......:LOL::LOL:

Yep!, there's also a far greater range of 'proper' black and white films, as their aimed at the enthusiast/pro market.

thanks both - armed with a 'little' knowledge I can look further

got to get OFF here and make dinner....thanks again

Mark.................."which may or may not have a orange tint."

is this a problem using C-41 B&W that I am likely to experience..?

BTW --- posted that "old book" off to you this morning ...things were a LOT simpler when it was all done with paper and cellulose.......:LOL::LOL:

The C41 colour films generally have an orange tint - XP2 and the Fuji C41 are a kind of mid-grey. The scanning software that your processing company use to produce your CD of images will be calibrated to "remove the base cast" in either case. So, no, it's not a problem, per-se - it was more a way of describing the negatives you'll get back for easy reference.

***but unless you've got a roll, and fancy shooting it before the end of the year, before the only processing line in the world that can handle it shuts down, we can pretty much ignore it :LOL:***

How many do you want ;)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290484383824

Errr.. i'll pass thanks - water damaged 1970's expired film and $10 processing a roll at dwaynes, plus $14.95 shipping... makes russian roulette with a Sig-Sauer P220 seem a good option!

Without wishing to bang the drum (sic) for home processing, B&W development isn't much harder than making a decent cup of tea and you can save a small fortune by DIY. Trad processing costs so much because it's virtually custom development at the volume labs get it at, I doubt many run a B&W machine.

The kit can be picked up dirt cheap though spirals seem to be pricey for some reason.

Without wishing to bang the drum (sic) for home processing, B&W development isn't much harder than making a decent cup of tea and you can save a small fortune by DIY. Trad processing costs so much because it's virtually custom development at the volume labs get it at, I doubt many run a B&W machine.

The kit can be picked up dirt cheap though spirals seem to be pricey for some reason.

I'm sure that some places do exactly the same as we do at home - if you only get a single roll of B&W (of a given film type...) to process in any one day, the most efficient way to do it is in a Patterson type tank. Not worth firing up any machine for that volume.

The more posts I read in this F&C section the more I think I should be developing my own B&W at home, one day I'll succumb to the peer pressure.

I'm sure that some places do exactly the same as we do at home - if you only get a single roll of B&W (of a given film type...) to process in any one day, the most efficient way to do it is in a Patterson type tank. Not worth firing up any machine for that volume.

Perhaps there's an idea for the forum members who do home develop, you could help out those of us who can't and make some pocket money at the same time, especially if you have a decent scanner as well.

Psst - look harder Ian!

:thinking:...what did i miss there..?

Club35 charged me £13 to dev a roll of Neopan 400 and copy onto CD

be delighted to get it done cheaper

would then shoot more B&W......:cool:

there is the risk of a bad dev ... huge responsibility for someone else's work !

Perhaps there's an idea for the forum members who do home develop, you could help out those of us who can't and make some pocket money at the same time, especially if you have a decent scanner as well.

there is the risk of a bad dev ... huge responsibility for someone else's work !

I've done a favour for a couple of people on here - scanned a couple of rolls for one guy, and processed a roll of film for another, To be honest - i'm pretty comfortable with processing films now, and do my own without thinking about it, but as soon as I started working with someone elses film I was fretting like crazy. Only calmed down the next day when I got the negs on the scanner bed and gave them a quick run through - just to confirm I'd got things right!

The moment you start taking money for it, It'd be far worse. Not for me, unless I get EXTREMELY hard up!

Back