Which filter holder

Name
Robert
Edit My Images
Yes
looking at buying some Cokin filters and not sure what size filter holder I need , will be used predominately with a Nikon 24/70 2.8 on a D850, occasionally with a Sigma art 35 mm , do I need the Cokin M or L ?
Cheers Rob.

Hi Rob

Sorry to question you, but after spending a small fortune on a camera and lenses of the absolute top quality. I wonder why you would put, what I would think is, an average quality filter in front of it?

Just my 2p on that.

As for filter holders. Lee, Hitech etc all do filter holders that will work a treat. For me personally, the new Kase filter holder that works with their magnetic polariser is a winner. Very clever bit of tech and at a good price as comes with adapter rings and polariser.

https://kasefilters.com/product/kase-k8-kit-100mm-holder-with-magnetic-slim-polarising-filter

Just dipping my toe with filters , Was looking at the Cokin website and it is not 100 % clear as to what size holder I would need , I assume the smaller size may be susceptible to vignetting at the wider focal lengths.Initially I just wanted to have a play to see if the results were going to be any different to what can be achieved in pp.
I may go down the Lee road at a later date!

I have to agree with Richie Tee - do not compromise on filters! I have made that mistake:(

Having said that, after a little research, it is surprising how few filters you actually need - this releases more pennies to get better ones! These day I only use three filters for my uses (landscape) namely a Formatt Hitech Fire crest CPL, a Formatt Hitech 6 stop ND and a Cokin 2 stop ND Grad (soon to be replaced!). Look into the Formatt Hitech "Reverse" Grad ND filters if you want to balance scenes involving a lot of sky - I am saving for one!

As to filter size? Go for a decent size to avoid vignetting - I would suggest 100mm wide - these are available from all the quality manufacturers.

The filter holder is one place where you can really economise! Whilst the Brand name ones are certainly better made my E Bay cheapies hold my filters perfectly securely and cost only a few quid.

Finally analyse your images, do a little research and work out which filters YOU actually need for your uses before you spend your hard earned funds. It is (in my case) surprising how many filters I thought I needed before I discovered how few I needed!

Happy choosing:)

The only Cokin filters worth using are the Nuances range for your camera the large is the minimum

Couldn't agree more with the sentiments above regarding cheap filters being a false economy. I used cokins for a few years while i was still very much starting out and gradually got more and more frustrated with the colour cast. You can always buy a foundation kit from lee and build up slowly from there which is what i did when my cokins got past their best. Thankfully my other half got me the foundation kit and grads for my 30th and i have since added a firecrest 10 stop to the set along with a couple of other cheap ones for getting around halogen street lights.

Just had a look at your flickr richietee and your images are stunning.

Thank you Rob. Much appreciated :)

View attachment 126954 What do we think about these please?.

I’ve been using these filters now for 6-8 months and they are exceptional. So much more durable than my previous Lee system, certainly for the conditions I shoot in.

i know quite a few of the UKs top photographers have opted for the Kase system which is testament enough of their quality. I can’t imagine that these guys would compromise quality just to be sponsored as most of these guys are pros.

Back