which filter

Name
geoff
Edit My Images
No
hi i have a 70-200 2.8 l is lens. is it essential to use a filter with this lens. if so which would be a good one. not to expensive more middle of the road one. i am a complete novice. so need your expert help. kind regards. gboy.

If you are referring to a UV filter, they do nothing with digital, except sometimes cause flare. Even the very best. If you want protection, then you have to weigh the balance according to circumstances.

I never use any sort of protection filter unless absolutely necessary, and you have one of the finest lenses ever made. It was intended to be used without a filter, and a cheap one makes no sense at all.

If you run a search there have been several threads on this quite recenly, some showing horrendous examples of flare. The problem is mainly caused by the surface of the sensor reflecting light back, which then bounces off the rear surface of the filter, and so on back and forth.

IMHO the more expensive the lens is, the more reason you should put filter to protect the front element. And because it's a good lens, I wouldn't use a cheap filter to ruin its quality. A Hoya pro1 should be good enough. Or B+W for even better quality :)

hi thanks for the help. i am a little confused now. as hoppyuk says do not use a filter. and packham says put the best filter you can on. i would like to know what others think. kind regards. gboy.

They are both to some extent making the same point. You have a very expensive lens which can produce some stunning photos. Ideally you don't want to use a filter at all, as it is another piece of glass between the subject and the sensor (I.e. if you can afford to replace the lens if you scratch the front element, then don't use a filter). However, if you can't afford to do replace it (as it the case with most people) then the filter you use should be top quality, otherwise there is little point using such a good lens. A cheap filter basically creates a bottleneck in the equipment you are using.

Either way I hope you realise just how good that lens is! :)

thanks IAN, really helpful. kind regards. gboy. take care.

When I first started out I always used "protection" filters but having given it more thought recently have decided it's not worthwhile and only risks degrading IQ. If you're careful with your equipment there's really no need, a lens hood helps to make sure you don't "catch" the glass and if you drop a lens then a filter is just as likely to break and damage the lens glass anyway.

Having said this, it's purely a personal decision and you'll get completely conflicting comments...best to decide for yourself having read the pros vs cons

simon

hi simon, thank you so much for your very useful comments. it has really helped me to understand about filters. i have been looking at your landscape photo,s. they are magnificent. can you tell me what lenses you used to take them. also would canon extenders work ok with my lens. and are they worth the money. and do extension tubes work ok. kind regards gboy. (geoff) take care.

hi simon, thank you so much for your very useful comments. it has really helped me to understand about filters. i have been looking at your landscape photo,s. they are magnificent. can you tell me what lenses you used to take them. also would canon extenders work ok with my lens. and are they worth the money. and do extension tubes work ok. kind regards gboy. (geoff) take care.

Hi Geoff,

I can't help you with the extenders question, never used them :shrug: I use a Pentax K20D too so not really familiar with the Cannon gear..lots of others on here are though so I'm sure someone will answer.

On lenses in general I find I tend to take most shots between 17-25mm, I did own a Sigma 10-20 wide angle but never really got on with it, just too wide for my personal "style" - I recently sold it
I've currently considering purchasing a prime lens or two, 21mm & 35mm most likely..having said that the flexibility that a zoom provides with composition is extremely useful (I use the Pentax DA 17-70) and as most of my shots are at or around F11 the difference in IQ between a prime and zoom is not quite so significant.

hope this helps

simon

hi simon, thank you so much for all your help. very kind of you to spare your time. kindest regards. geoff. take care.

hi simon, thank you so much for all your help. very kind of you to spare your time. kindest regards. geoff. take care.

No problem Geoff..to be honest I'd much rather be out taking photos but the weather here in North Wales isn't great at the moment, talking about photography is the next best thing - that probably sounds a little sad :LOL:

simon

hi IAN, hope the weather improves for you. take care. kind regards. geoff.

Back