Which first lens for a 60D

Name
Igor
Edit My Images
Yes
I got a canon 60D body only for Christmas :)

I already have a canon lens off my old old old 35mm eos700 but it shocking on the D60. It's a sigma 70-210.

So which first lens should I get? I don't want to spend a fortune just yet so I was thinking about a 18-50 kit lens for now.

I've just moved from my Sony alpha camera so I'm completely out of touch with canon

Any advice would be much appreciated

Thanks

Last edited:
i would recommend tamron 17-50 non VC 2.8... its a crcking lens for little money and the 60 D with its 18 000 pixels will need a very good lens to bring out its best. Cheaper lens like the kit im afraid might not do it too much justice

If budget is an issue i would stick with a kit lens. you can pick them up for around £50.
If you want to go for a better option then the sigma 18-50 2.8 gets my vote as i have that on my d300.

I would go for the kits lens though then maybe extend your focal range to a 70-200 etc at a later date.

P-Chan said:
i would recommend tamron 17-50 non VC 2.8... its a crcking lens for little money and the 60 D with its 18 000 pixels will need a very good lens to bring out its best. Cheaper lens like the kit im afraid might not do it too much justice

I was just looking at this lens. Why the non VC version though? It's only about £30 difference

I had the Sigma 17-70 and it was very decent for the price, read good things about the newer OS one too

Fom experience do not buy the Sigma 18-50 variable aperture OS lens, tried one and it was truly awful although the newer 17-50 OS gets good reviews at a much higher price

Might as well be the first one to say it, but push the boat out big time and buy the Canon 17-55 IS. It is the best lens for a crop sensor at that sort of focal length, would have saved me a good few quid if I had bought it straight away

I was just looking at this lens. Why the non VC version though? It's only about £30 difference

read alot before buying and optic wise non vc is better while at that range u dont really need the vc.

canon 17-55 yes is the best lens out there for this range but costs 3 x the tamron but yet is not 3 times better. actually just a bit better.

if u can strecth for 700 pounds get the canon one but at that money u can but the tamron plus 70-200 f4 l canon

P-Chan said:
read alot before buying and optic wise non vc is better while at that range u dont really need the vc.

canon 17-55 yes is the best lens out there for this range but costs 3 x the tamron but yet is not 3 times better. actually just a bit better.

if u can strecth for 700 pounds get the canon one but at that money u can but the tamron plus 70-200 f4 l canon

Yeah I think the tamron is the way to go. Especially when you can get them for £240!!! Pretty gutted that I've already ordered a kit lens for £40. Oh well, it's only cheap lol

Yeah I think the tamron is the way to go. Especially when you can get them for £240!!! Pretty gutted that I've already ordered a kit lens for £40. Oh well, it's only cheap lol

Look on the bright side. Despite being nice and sharp, the tamron isn't built very well, and if it ever breaks, you've got a cheapo back up to replace it till it's fixed.

Look on the bright side. Despite being nice and sharp, the tamron isn't built very well, and if it ever breaks, you've got a cheapo back up to replace it till it's fixed.

come on !!!! the tamy might not be built as a tank but its not that shabby either :nono: :)

Back