Which flash gun?

I have a Jessops 360afd, seems to me to be a great beginner flash but takes awhile to recharge between flashes. I picked it up on here for £35 delivered, so keep an eye out for one. Also have a Youngou Yn460ii its great too, but manual only!

Depends on your budget, Paula. The Jessops 360AFD is a pretty safe bet at £80 (y)

:plus1:

I can personally recommend this!

I bought one about a month ago ( canon mount ) refurbished from ebay for much less than £80 ( so not new ). No regrets at all. I bought from this seller, they don't have any Nikon ones at the moment but they normally do:thinking:

Anyone it's a great all round flash for me so far. Built in diffuser is very handy, as is the built in bounce screen ;)

Can be used as a Slave, manual settings, auto settings.

Adam

Last edited:
I have a Nissin Di 622 which is a bit more than your budget, but very good for the money. It talks to Nikon CLS too.

I've just brought a Nissin Di 622 for a canon. I have its big brother, the Di866, also for a canon and can definately recommend them. My Di622 cost £95 only a couple of weeks ago from digigood on ebay and I know they had nikon ones available too.

Depends on your budget, Paula. The Jessops 360AFD is a pretty safe bet at £80 (y)

I have got one of these but the instructions are pretty vague. If I just bung it on the hotshoe and put it on auto, it seems to overexpose somewhat. If I put it on manual, unless I knock it down to 1/8 power it is so bright it blinds people as it melts their eyes.

In short: I have not a clue how to use it but it works.

I'd highly recomend Sunpak PZ42X's i use them and to be fair i think there **** hot, especially for the price

I have the 360D. I also have a Nikon Sb400 (had it first). I would ask what you want to do with it. I like the 360D for the swivel/bounce and the power it has. However the iTTL isn't as predictable as the SB400. As mentioned above, if you just set it to iTTL and go then it will blow out some pictures. You really have to watch your exposure compentation, especially if you are bouncing. The Sb400 doesn't swivel, but it does ceiling bounce. I've never had an exposure with it that was unexpected.

If you want a little bit of extra power, the ability to bounce on the ceiling, and a bit of separation between the line of flash and the lens centerline, then the SB400 is a nice little flash. It is very small, charges quickly, and doesn't drain batteries much. With a little diffuser, you can make great straight on pictures.

If you want to do off camera flash, or swivel+bounce flash, or if you want to use manual flash then you need to go bigger like the 360D. It is much bigger, so I would try one if I were you and make sure that you don't mind a big flash on the camera. I picked mine up used on here for £40, so if you can wait until you hit your classifieds limits you can probably find one then around that price and save yourself some money.

Thanks,
Rick

baz83 said:
I have a Jessops 360afd, seems to me to be a great beginner flash but takes awhile to recharge between flashes. I picked it up on here for £35 delivered, so keep an eye out for one. Also have a Youngou Yn460ii its great too, but manual only!

That depends what batteries you use. I've changed to some high powered rechargeables and the flash charge time is super quick with these.

another vote for the Jessops 360afd (y)

brilliant flash so far, I've used mine for about 10 months and the only thing I've found it doesn't do is sync faster than 1/200 which isn't a massive issue at all really :)

Back