Which flash, Sigma 500, Sigma 500 Super, or Canon 430....

Marcel

Kim Jong Bod
Admin
Name
Marcel
Edit My Images
Yes
Normally I'd plump for the 430, but I'm unsure as to what the 430 will give me over the other two?

Also, what are the differences between the two Sigmas?

LOL I plan to mate, I promise I will.

Gonna poppy up for the 11th first though :) My yearly ritual :)

Thats a good point. Its rememberence day long before Christmas.

I bought the 430ex, I was only looking at the canon two, I thought I was best sticking with something that was made specifically to work with my camera.

I looked at the feature difference and price difference and decided I would never use the extra buttons on the 550, so I got the 430 from onestop for £149

I went through the same "anguish" last year and ended up buying the 430.
Reasons:
- Dont need the extra range of the 530 (nor the buttons )
- Like the way that all Canon kit works together and was not prepared
to "faf" with any curiousness of "other" flashguns. Granted I'd had a
Jessops own prior to that. Hardly the most endearing of experiences.

As far as the 430 goes the operation is faultless. I keep debating getting either a remote cable or flash unit....

haven't used the 430 but have had the sigma 500 super and now have the 580EX.

Features wise the sigma is very similar to the canon, slightly more powerful than the 430EX. Build quality is possibly slightly lower on the sigma but it's more than adequate for most things. Exposures using ETTL were good.

Mine stopped working after it got a soaking and if Jessops had had another available when I needed it I'd probably have got another. Having said that the controls on the Canon are more sensibly set out and easier to work.

Sigma is great value for the money but it isn't quite as nice an overall package, but it's close.

I've got the 500 super, I really like it has done me well when I've had to call on it. I think their is more to come from it but I'm not a big flash person about 95% of my photographs are without flash. I'm not sure what they have over each other the 550Ex and 500 super are the most powerful I would think, its about trying them and seeing what you like? :)

Thanks for the replies :)

I'm very tempted to plump for the Sigma 500 DG Super, instead of the 430.

It mainly comes down to cost if I'm honest. I'm like you Ally. Most of my photographs have been without flash. I'd like to use flash more, hence the reason for me purchasing. (It's either this or the grip).

Like I say though, I don't think I'm going to use it extensively, which is where my problem lies. I don't think if I plump for a better model, that I'll make the most of its features.

Now I'm tempted to go for the Canon 430. It's only 142 from Onestop, as opposed to 126 for the Sigma.

While the Sigma is no doubt sufficient feature-wise, I'd rather spend an extra £16 to ensure all body compatibility, and have something that is designed to work with my camera, straight out of the box, no mess, no fuss.

I've got both the Sigma 500 and the Canon 430. Get the Canon. Better build quality and it seems to bounce better too.

Just bought the Canon from Onestop.

Came to 140.13 inc.

Good choice (y)

I've not tried the non-Canons but like you I went for the 430EX just because I didn't want any hassle with compatibility. I've had mine for a few months now and it's a fantastic bit of kit and worth every penny :)

I don't think i've ever had cause to "dis" my 430

Marcel, I would also suggest a sto fen for it, it really does make a difference.

no problems, i'll stick it in the post first thing monday along with the invoice :D

£30000000000.00 gbp should cover the postage for it :D

no problems, i'll stick it in the post first thing monday along with the invoice :D

£30000000000.00 gbp should cover the postage for it :D

Okie dokie, Will pop a cheque in the post on tuesday.

Excpect it to be a bit rubbery though :D

/Jumps with joy.

430 Delivered by the postman this morning.

Marcel the plum though...because the online tracking at Parcel Farce said it couldnt find the tracking number, I assumed it hadn't entered the country yet (even though the HK post website said it left on Tuesday), so I didnt bother charging my batteries up ready...lol

/Jumps with joy.

430 Delivered by the postman this morning.

Marcel the plum though...because the online tracking at Parcel Farce said it couldnt find the tracking number, I assumed it hadn't entered the country yet (even though the HK post website said it left on Tuesday), so I didnt bother charging my batteries up ready...lol

Muppet ! You should ALWAYS have charged batteries ready ! You never know when you will need a camera !

Same thing happened with me when I ordered my flash gun from Onestop. Tracked through HK fine but it was delivered before Parcel Farce had a chance to put it on their system. Either their delivery system is fast (!?!) or their tracking software is crap :thinking:

Same thing happened with me when I ordered my flash gun from Onestop. Tracked through HK fine but it was delivered before Parcel Farce had a chance to put it on their system. Either their delivery system is fast (!?!) or their tracking software is crap :thinking:

It's the tracking system. I got a parcel posted from the Isle of Wight and it took 2 days to deliver and 3 days before it was on the tracking system. The entry said that it had all ready been delivered. :| Stupid Royal Mail.

Blackvault

Muppet ! You should ALWAYS have charged batteries ready ! You never know when you will need a camera !

Lol You misunderstand me young padawan....my camera batteries are ALWAYS charged. I mean the rechargables for the flash. Nicked off my little lad (He used to use them for his remote control car.....That broke, so Im having the charger and batts we used)....

Took some shots with it today and yesterday and oh my lordy the difference it makes!

Back