Which Flash Unit?

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
I've decided my next toy is going to be a flash unit.

I'm looking closely at the Canon Speedlite 580ex.

Does anyone have this Flash and if so how do you rate it?
There seem to be considerable improvements over the 550.
The reviews seem to praise it highly but I would like a real life opinion.

Is the 550 still available to buy as new?

Lastly, I'm looking for the cheapest price (I'll be buying it online)

I recently bought the 580EX. It's a beautifully made gun which simply has every function you could wish for in a hotshoe mounted flashgun. The hi speed flash capability is very impressive, it reads subject distance and white balance settings directly from the camera, and it even compensates for battery drainage to keep the WB accurate. It produces simply the most natural looking shots I've seen from a shoe mounted gun, and the battery life is very impressive too.

I think you can still get the 550, but it may be in short supply now. I got my 580EX from 7dayshop, who were the cheapest at the time. I've bought a few items from them now, and provided you order in the morning, you usually get it next day.

Thanks CT.

You confirm basically what the reviews are saying and I'll hold out for the 580 methinks.
Xmas probably and the price may have dropped a little by then.

I can't speak highly enough of 7dayshop in terms of pricing and service, I've used them several times now.

I couldn't afford the 580 when I was looking for a flashgun and decided to go for the sigma 500 DG super at about half the price.

Spec is very similar to the 580 although I don't feel construction is quite as good, it's bigger and IMO its FUGLY!!! Does everything very well indeed on the 20D though.

Hi there, I use the 580ex and do find it a good gun in general, however on most occasions when shooting indoors I find that to get correctly exposed shots I have to adjust the settings to give half to a full stop more light.

Thanks for that Gary.

Because I work for a Canon Dealer (although not on the camera side) I can get Canon gear trade price and no VAT if I pay cash, so I may not have to wait till Xmas :banana:

I've a baby on the way in March and I've convinced the Mrs I reeeallly need a decent flash unit to take all those pics of the baby :p

Back