Which flash?

Name
Brian
Edit My Images
No
OK, so the title is a bit of a "how long is a piece of string! type question, but I think I have narrowed it down to a couple of setups. They are both Godox and I would like to know which would be best for what I want.

The setup I was originally considering was three Godox TT685s with a wireless controller. I was going to buy one flash with the controller plus two extra flashes as I understand they can all be run from the one controller. The main use would be still life and portrait, and they would be used both indoors and out (which is why I wasn't going for mains operated). They would also be well within budget (around £450-500).

However, my wife has now shown an interest in using them as well, and we have two different systems (Olympus and Fuji). My first question is could I get one flash with an Olympus controller, one with a Fuji controller and a third single unit, and then have them set up so we can both use all three flashes (even if it means resetting them each time)?

My second question is that while I was looking these up I came across the Godox Ving V860II, and wondered if they could be run in the same way I am envisaging? Also, is the V860II worth the extra over the TT685? I realise it has considerably more shots per charge but don't know how much use that would be to me.

Thanks for any advice.

The 860II is essentially a Li-Ion version of the TT685 which is AA cell powered.

All the latest flashes can be controlled off camera i.e. a canon version (it is the foot that determines) will go into Nikon mode from a Godox Nikon controller etc. etc. so you could buy a TT685O for her to use on camera or a Godox XPRO O (or X1O) transmitter that will allow her to control your TT685S (I assume you have Sony)

Mike

Last edited:
Q1,
To use on camera, you need a flash specific to your camera, but off camera they all work seamlessly.

Q2,
The Ving are loads better if you can afford the outlay, as it saves buying batteries and a charger.

Edit... cross posted

Thanks Mike, I actually have a Fuji - the "s" was there as a plural rather than the Sony version, but your comments confirm what I thought. So basically three TT685 flashes and two different X1T controllers should be suitable - neither of us use on camera flash.

Thanks Phil, having just replied to Mike that further confirms what I thought. And we can stretch to the Ving so will probably go for those. And in true University Challenge mode, a supplementary question. We have stands and brollies, what would be the best soft boxes for them?

Note that speedlights don't have modelling lamps. For studio work* unless you really really know what you're doing, pretty much because you have a lot of experience and know what effect you'll get with different lights in different positions, then I'd say you will get frustrated, make a lot of mistakes, and spend way more time fiddling around taking test shots and checking the LCD. Godox offers several battery flash heads with good modelling lamps, but mains powered is much cheaper.

*no modelling lamp is really bright enough to be any use outdoors in daylight

Thanks for replying Hoppy. I did look at the AD200 but the price difference put them out of budget. Modelling lights would be useful - I used to use studio flash back in film days. However, with the sort of things we are going to be using them for trial and error is fine, and we can review the images to see what we are getting then make adjustments until we are happy. Eventually we will know more about how to set them up from the start.

Thanks for replying Hoppy. I did look at the AD200 but the price difference put them out of budget. Modelling lights would be useful - I used to use studio flash back in film days. However, with the sort of things we are going to be using them for trial and error is fine, and we can review the images to see what we are getting then make adjustments until we are happy. Eventually we will know more about how to set them up from the start.

Well, just for the record, I disagree ;) Anything beyond the most basic portraiture in fixed routines will leave you guessing, and likewise for still life - unless you mean nothing more than bland ebay-style product shots - you'll be flying blind. Studio photography is one of few situations where you have control of the light and it's a fantastic advantage to be fully exploited.

On the other hand, buying a few speedlights will hardly be money wasted as they're so useful for all sorts of things and if you stick with Godox they will integrate nicely into any set up.

Also note that when working outdoors in daylight, speedlights are seriously under-powered. A good speedlight is around 100Ws equivalent and the very rough rule of thumb for outdoors is 400-600Ws minimum. The sun is very bright and that sets the baseline for exposure but by the same token, if you're struggling for power then working in shade, or on an overcast day, or waiting until evening etc, makes everything much easier (y)

Back